Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken turbo studs - Need to remove turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Broken turbo studs - Need to remove turbo?

I have my car at a shop to do an exhaust install. They are a reputable shop who work on Turbos. The told me that the bolts snapped the studs and "the studs not coming out, going to grind down and see if we can drill out with the turbo still in the car. If not turbo will need to come out. Also will need a few gaskets. Turbo to manifold if turbos come out, otherwise just one each on the exhaust flanges"

So this went from a $400 quoted exhaust job, to a new "worst case" estimate of $2.2K from their latest quote if they have to remove the turbos.

I've read a lot of DIY exhaust install posts and the broken studs seem to be common, but I've never seen the person need to remove the turbos entirely in order to fix the problem.

Assuming it gets to this "worst case" scenario and he wants $2.2K, would you question it and ask why turbos need to be removed? The fact that I've done my research and never has someone needed to remove the turbos.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:19 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Sheesh.. these are the reasons I DIY.

You just need to be careful with those bolts, which some ham-fisted mechanics are not..

I'd be surprised if they needed to remove the turbos. I'd be pretty upset I feel it turned into a 2k repair.. they should be able to drill those out.

Good luck.

Ps. What exhaust did you end up going with?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:26 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by saabin
Sheesh.. these are the reasons I DIY.

You just need to be careful with those bolts, which some ham-fisted mechanics are not..

I'd be surprised if they needed to remove the turbos. I'd be pretty upset I feel it turned into a 2k repair.. they should be able to drill those out.

Good luck.

Ps. What exhaust did you end up going with?
Yea, I decided to bring it into the shop to get it done because I just got the car finally registered (when I bought it March 4...whole different story lol) on Wednesday, so I just wanted to get it installed and enjoy it this weekend. Well that didn't happen.

He said the $2.1K cost is the worst case scenario and he said he doesn't believe it will come to that, but if they can't get the studs out, then they would need to. If it gets to that, I feel like I'm going to push back and understand what is the need to pull them as there are plenty of people on the forums with this problem and never needed to pull them. Just want to make sure they aren't just trying to BS me out of reasons to pay more.

I ended up getting a brand new catless Speedtech 3" X-Pipe setup from a local guy here. Saved around $800 on the exhaust but looks like that money may end up in the cost to install!
Old 04-01-2017, 02:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

I wouldn't even mess with it. If you broke the stud flush with the turbine. I strongly recommend that you remove the turbocharger and remove the turbine housing and send it to a shop that EDM broken studs. Why, wrecked turbine housings that will cost you more in the end.. OR chasing blown gaskets and O2 CEL's..

If you can get a nut on the broken stud you can use stud/weld pin "kit" to extract the stud. The risk to this method is pulling the threads out of the turbine housing , then you need to use Timecerts

That's why I would FedEx the housing to a shop that EDM's studs every day.

Another option is to use a template guide plate (bolt it to your turbine housing)to center the drill bit. I have one that I made it's 1/2" machined Stainless. Your shop can contact me.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Should be able to get them out easy enough.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:25 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Should be able to get them out easy enough.
That is what I'm hoping to hear tomorrow. Not wanting to have to pay $2.2K just to install exhaust...
Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

There is no need for the turbo to come off with exhaust rear bumper etc is off of the car there is plenty of room to drill out the broken studs. If they are any good with drill they would have to take them off.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 AM
woody6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HardHitter
I have my car at a shop to do an exhaust install. They are a reputable shop who work on Turbos. The told me that the bolts snapped the studs and "the studs not coming out, going to grind down and see if we can drill out with the turbo still in the car.
Grind them down? As long as there is something left to grab, they may be removable. I had one that broke when I swapped exhaust, and removed it with this Damaged Bolt and Stud Extractor Tool:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKEBG9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKEBG9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was amazed how easily the extractor grabbed and removed the remaining stud. I did soak them with penetrating oil, but I had done the same with the nuts before removing the exhaust. Good luck.

--Woody

Quick Reply: Broken turbo studs - Need to remove turbo?