Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Guards Red 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Danny997TT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say my price range is mid to low 60's? Preferable under 50K miles, but can be flexible as these cars I believe do better if driven.

I was able to confirm on the build sheet that the one at cosmo motors is an actual GT Silver. Very nice color combo with the terracotta interior. It is the only one I found of its kind. Other cars advertised as GT Silver usually appear as artic silver on the build sheet. Without Rennlist, I'd be none the wiser. "Glad I called that guy."
Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would agree to stay away from a salvage title car unless you know the seller and the history first hand.

As for Tip vs. 6MT (or PDK), that is a very personal decision. Reading on most enthusiast sites, you'll see people vehemently opposed to anything automatic, and if you're in that camp, then it's not anything to debate. Get what you like. I have driven all 3 of the more modern Porsche drivetrains... Tip, PDK and 6MT. I've been a long-time owner of manual transmission sports cars, and all things being completely equal, I do enjoy rowing my own gears from time to time. That said, it's not a necessity for me. I've owned some exhilarating vehicles that had automatic transmissions with some form of paddle shifting, and almost without fail, I spend 90% of the time driving in automatic mode anyway. When commuting, especially with traffic, auto is better (for me). When highway cruising, obviously manual doesn't really matter. Manuals are great for road racing (which I don't do), and spirited backroad driving with twisties and a lot of speed changes (which I do occasionally). In the end though, it came down to a drive. When I drove a 997.1TT in 6MT it was fun, but it wasn't like I felt I was sacrificing a lot to go with the Tip.

I'd prefer a PDK, but anything with a PDK is going to be out of your mid-$60s price range. If you open up your search to a Tip, you may be able to hold out for the GR that you want. Drive a Tip first though to see if it is something you like. I liked it, but others may not. I really wanted a white Porsche with natural brown or cocoa interior... and that's what I found, in a tip. No regrets.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Danny997TT
Track Day

Great advice. Always appreciated. I don't want to stoke any coals, but there happens to be two really nice white 911's available online right now for 69K. One has the cocoa and one with the natural brown. Never would have considered those a color option, but definitely attractive as you know.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:57 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny997TT
Great advice. Always appreciated. I don't want to stoke any coals, but there happens to be two really nice white 911's available online right now for 69K. One has the cocoa and one with the natural brown. Never would have considered those a color option, but definitely attractive as you know.
it's an easier search if you are open to more colors.

IMO these cars should not come in anything but 6MT but I'm one of those guys. I drove the tip and pdk.

PDK way more responsive than the tip but i don't care how much faster it can shift than me I'm a die hard manual guy.

Also check Ferrari Lambo Audi etc dealer websites never know what they have.

My buddy just got a very nice 997tt from a lambo dealer ship here in New Jersey was looking everywhere. I told him to just look other places and boom he found one. Can never hurt
Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Red is so nice...

I only wanted silver with black though, had to have PDK, had to have the upgraded front seats/sirius radio/centerlock wheels/ and I was SO SICK of looking after 4 months. I looked obsessively on cars.com, the Porsche web site and autotrader twice a day (Ok, sometimes more).

I thought, maybe I'm being too particular. But, I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with anything else. And then... it came on the market, at a Ferrari Dealer in Scottsdale, almost 3k miles from my house. It was $10k more than other cars I found locally, but they didn't have everything this car had.

I even found one - a 2011 Turbo S silver/black for only $79k locally - cheapest in the US for 2011 Turbo S's, the closest one to my house, but it had 53k miles, the highest one for sale in the US at the time, and was slightly hit 3 months after it was sold. It looked to be fixed perfectly but it was on the Carfax and local dealers strongly suggested not buying it.

The one thing I didn't get with this car was the regular taillights - the one I bought had the clear rear lights, which I felt was a bit "too much", but I bought it anyway. I rarely worry about the rear lights anymore. They're fine.

I
Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Above your price target, but I thought this was a really interesting candidate. No affiliation, just thought it was notable and relevant to you or someone else seeking a nice GR 997TT...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132050378798

Natural brown is a nice color (premium option that was thousands $ more than other standard interiors), and as brown shades go, much nicer in person than sandy beige (IMO), and less controversial than something like terracota. I'd probably swap the floor mats out for a dark brown or black color to add contrast, but that's it. Plus, it's Turbo S (faster) and PDK (>tip), newer (updated PCM), and has PCCB's (hand of God stopping power). If I weren't a die-hard 3-pedal guy, I'd be all over this one.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Danny997TT
Track Day

[QUOTE=Steve 96C4S;13853284]Red is so nice...

I only wanted silver with black though, had to have PDK, had to have the upgraded front seats/sirius radio/centerlock wheels/ and I was SO SICK of looking after 4 months. I looked obsessively on cars.com, the Porsche web site and autotrader twice a day (Ok, sometimes more).

I can relate....I feel like I'm addicted. Constantly checking autotrader, cars, ebay, over and over again. Its like a ritual every time I sit down at my computer or look at the smartphone.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 AM
Danny997TT
Track Day

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Above your price target, but I thought this was a really interesting candidate. No affiliation, just thought it was notable and relevant to you or someone else seeking a nice GR 997TT...

Natural brown is a nice color (premium option that was thousands $ more than other standard interiors), and as brown shades go, much nicer in person than sandy beige (IMO), and less controversial than something like terracota. I'd probably swap the floor mats out for a dark brown or black color to add contrast, but that's it. Plus, it's Turbo S (faster) and PDK (>tip), newer (updated PCM), and has PCCB's (hand of God stopping power). If I weren't a die-hard 3-pedal guy, I'd be all over this one.
Good Find! As you mentioned, its a little out of my price range, but something to keep an eye on. I did find another 2012 Turbo S for $69,000, but it had $105K miles on it. I little high for my comfort and it black on black.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:11 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't last long....IMHO. Love it. JB
Old 01-03-2017, 12:24 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think if you're a 6mt guy, you'll tire of the pdk quickly, I did, jmo others love it.
At your price point, I'd keep shopping, a GR 6mt will pop by early spring I'm sure. I'd spend a few more dollars and avoid heavily modded 997.1 cars or high mile 997.2s. With a Porsche you either pay now or pay later, no such thing as a cheap Porsche.
I remember a nice red one in the fs a while back, I'll look later.
C
Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Won't last long....IMHO. Love it. JB
I know. I'm half tempted to pick it up. If I alternated days and left one in my office garage, I bet my wife would never notice.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:35 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know. I'm half tempted to pick it up. If I alternated days and left one in my office garage, I bet my wife would never notice.
After countless years of colaboration, negotiations and pleading... I was able to obtain a no-notice bi-latetal equality agreement with my lovely spouse. However, the sword swings both ways. Should I bring home a new toy, she gains a new toy as well. To be honest, I have no business negotiating agreements, since I'm responsible for the expense regardless of which way the sword swings. Plus she doesn't sell her toys every couple of years... LoL, Crying, LoL, Crying...JB

Hers

His

BTW PorscheStrong: She'll notice, ha!!!

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-03-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Stuf
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think if you're a 6mt guy, you'll tire of the pdk quickly, I did, jmo others love it.
At your price point, I'd keep shopping, a GR 6mt will pop by early spring I'm sure. I'd spend a few more dollars and avoid heavily modded 997.1 cars or high mile 997.2s. With a Porsche you either pay now or pay later, no such thing as a cheap Porsche.
I remember a nice red one in the fs a while back, I'll look later.
C
Sometimes the modded cars you can get for cheaper....if you are looking for a stock car then yeah thats the way to go, but if you plan on modding it anyway then you can save some money.

The modded cars are probably driven harder but I you have a turbo car and not driving it hard there is something wrong.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
it's an easier search if you are open to more colors.

IMO these cars should not come in anything but 6MT but I'm one of those guys. I drove the tip and pdk.

PDK way more responsive than the tip but i don't care how much faster it can shift than me I'm a die hard manual guy.

Also check Ferrari Lambo Audi etc dealer websites never know what they have.

My buddy just got a very nice 997tt from a lambo dealer ship here in New Jersey was looking everywhere. I told him to just look other places and boom he found one. Can never hurt
Nice turbo, hope to see you at some local C&C events. We need to get a NJ Rennlist Porsche TT group together

Originally Posted by Danny997TT

I can relate....I feel like I'm addicted. Constantly checking autotrader, cars, ebay, over and over again. Its like a ritual every time I sit down at my computer or look at the smartphone.
it's fun to constantly search, kills the work day though. I was looking for 5 months before I found mine. GRed looks so awesome on the road.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:18 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Nice turbo, hope to see you at some local C&C events. We need to get a NJ Rennlist Porsche TT group together

it's fun to constantly search, kills the work day though. I was looking for 5 months before I found mine. GRed looks so awesome on the road.

Nice car.

And I went to one c&c over the summer, it was one of the last ones of the year.

We should get a nj rennlist group together, im always down to meet up/cruise

Quick Reply: Looking for Guards Red 997TT