Sponsored by:

Emissions Testing - Readiness Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
Thanks for all the help. Not being an engineer, i don't understand why this is so complicated. It's a sensor. It should work or not work at any giving time. Right?

Question - the majority of my sensors are showing not supported when I went to stock. If I went in to the emissions test, would it pass, as they are showing all ready? Or would the emissions testing (the computer - not the less than bright guys that work there) know that the number of sensors wasn't correct? I guess I could try.

I'll try a number of things and let you know what what works and doesn't.
It is not complicated. I've cleared error codes in my Boxster and Turbo a number of times and the readiness monitors reset with just regular driving.

The key is regular driving. Hot rodding the car around even around town can have the DME switching from closed loop mode to open loop mode and this can have the readiness monitor progress reset back to its starting point.

That the readiness monitors are showing "not supported" rather than "incomplete" suggests to me the factory "tune" is not present in the ECU. It looks like an aftermarket tune is (still) present and it has flagged these readiness monitors not supported.

In this case you'll never get them to complete.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with the Macster, the tune is the issue.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the tune, I had the same thing with my car last month. Often times the stock calibration still has the emissions related sensors disabled, and will never set readiness. Check with your tuner, or email Jon/Mitch @ Cobb and they can correct that. Once you have an emissions ready tune, and assuming you have cats or the stock exhaust, the readiness will set in just a couple of normal 5-15 mile drives.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Kyle John Ijichi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue - all I did was drive to work (45 miles) at around 65 MPH and back. And it was cleared up.

The procedure is BS and nearly impossible to follow.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 PM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Op,

Were you able to obtain a ready status and pass your emissions? I ran into the same issue for my inspection this year here in CO.

Drove the car for an hour at different speeds and couldn't get a ready status. The mentioned drive procedure was also recommended.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Failed annual inspection on Tuesday when 3 of the 5 important monitors showed not ready. Followed the procedure in post #1 on Wednesday and after the drive all showed ready and was able to pass inspection. It works. BTW, "not ready" occurred since I had a mis-fire CEL, cleared it and then drove 190 miles at highway speeds which did not not reset the monitors to ready.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 PM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the confirmation! I just need the weather to turn around. Was supposed to register in October.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:36 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Following up my post. Finally got everything to reset and passed emissions this morning.

I reinstalled the Cobb AccesPort tune and all the sensors showed up, albeit not ready. Did several drive cycles and slowly they started moving to ready. The last was the Cat and was planning on doing a cycle this am. Got in the car, plugged in the reader and wonder of all wonders it was ready. Scooted down to he testing center and was done in 10 minutes.

So the Cobb does set monitors to ready. I think I would need to unhook the battery after going back to the stock tune to get the other sensors to get to a testing phase.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:42 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
Following up my post. Finally got everything to reset and passed emissions this morning.

I reinstalled the Cobb AccesPort tune and all the sensors showed up, albeit not ready. Did several drive cycles and slowly they started moving to ready. The last was the Cat and was planning on doing a cycle this am. Got in the car, plugged in the reader and wonder of all wonders it was ready. Scooted down to he testing center and was done in 10 minutes.

So the Cobb does set monitors to ready. I think I would need to unhook the battery after going back to the stock tune to get the other sensors to get to a testing phase.
As you probably know, unhooking the battery resets all monitors to "not ready" and you have to start the drive cycle process all over.

Quick Reply: Emissions Testing - Readiness Sensors