Sponsored by:

Newbi

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newbi

Good Morning! After owning a number of Porsches including my current 993, I've decided to take the jump into a turbo. Currently looking at a 2008 997 cab. Would appreciate any suggestions on what to look for in evaluating this car? Are there items prone to failure on this model?

In reviewing the forums, there is a lot of discussion about over revs and the data that can be pulled from the ECU on this parameter. What should I realistically be looking for? Should I dismiss any car that has had any history of over revs at Level 3 or 4?

The car I am looking at has 35k miles on it. Should I have a leak down done in the PPI?

Also, I'm interested in a cab. Are there issues with the 997 cab components?

TIA
Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

One thing to consider while you are looking is the minor change (PCM 3.0) on the '09 and the '09 being the last of the original engine block (good history). If your budget allows, consider an '09 in your search.

Certainly get a PPI done by a reputable Porsche shop before you get too serious on an offer for any vehicle.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Some will say anything with level 3+ overrevs is a grenade with the pin pulled and to run fast. Others, like myself, feel that if a decent number of hours (couple hundred should do it) have passed since the overrev incident without a problem, the car should be good to go assuming the PPI checks out. Plus you can use it to negotiate since many buyers won't touch it with a 100' pole.

A couple items prone to failure and to research are spun camshafts and the coolant pipes' glue drying out causing the pipes to come off. Both to my knowledge aren't really failures you can PPI for beforehand but are part of the risk of ownership. Second-gear popout in the 6MTs is something else to check for.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the responses. How expensive is it to have the coolant lines welded? And, what is the fix for a spun camshaft?

Lastly, I have always wrenched my own cars including a total rebuild of the engine in my 993. How much more difficult is it to work on these turbo motors?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

I think the coolant line fix is usually around around $2.5-3k. Spun camshaft repair sounds like a $6000 operation from what I've seen, where the cams are removed and the sleeve is pinned into position. Both can happen to any car at any age or mileage, not just high mileage or track cars.

Edit: That isn't to say those issues are inevitable, though. I think in general the cars are extremely solid, it's just the few things that can pop up aren't going to be cheap 2-hour jobs.

Last edited by Skwerl; 01-13-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

I had a 2008 turbo cabriolet, and it was a great vehicle. I never had any major issues with the car, including any of the cabriolet components. The 997 is a great vehicle.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:32 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I think the coolant line fix is usually around around $2.5-3k. Spun camshaft repair sounds like a $6000 operation from what I've seen, where the cams are removed and the sleeve is pinned into position. Both can happen to any car at any age or mileage, not just high mileage or track cars.

Edit: That isn't to say those issues are inevitable, though. I think in general the cars are extremely solid, it's just the few things that can pop up aren't going to be cheap 2-hour jobs.
Every car has the chance of causing issues, but these cars are bullet proof as long as they're maintained IMO. Given the amount built the failures are still low % wise.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:37 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Just a lurker. Saving for a 997 TT.

Many previous owners have already addressed the coolant pipes. Occasionally you can track down the previous owner and find out if it's been done. Just another good reason to try to purchase from a driver vs a dealer.

Just based on following the forums, the camshaft is pretty uncommon and unlikely to be an issue for you sans heavy track use.

Never heard of a cab top breaking. I'm sure they do here and there, but never came across a thread discussing top failure.

There's always debate as to whether an extended warranty is worthwhile. In your case, as a wrencher, prob not. But if the camshaft frightens you, perhaps purchase something from Fidelity for peace of mind.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Every car has the chance of causing issues, but these cars are bullet proof as long as they're maintained IMO. Given the amount built the failures are still low % wise.
Yeah, you can easily give yourself an ulcer if you soak up the forums too much but keeping in mind people don't usually start random threads titled "50k miles and my camshaft's fine" helps give some perspective that the majority of cars are good to go if treated decently.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all for your input. The car I'm looking at is in the. Sana Ana area in S Calif.
can someone recommend an Indy for a PPI?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Get a PPI and service records.

When you buy one drive it like you stole it and worry about the repairs later.

My two cents is if "you" are worried (not saying you are worried) about any minor or major repairs dont by a 997TT
Old 01-13-2017, 09:15 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Thanks to all for your input. The car I'm looking at is in the. Sana Ana area in S Calif.
can someone recommend an Indy for a PPI?
From one former Chicagoan to another, here are some options (I moved to Orange County 3 years ago).

1. Hergesheimer Motorsports - I've had a PPI done there before. They are very thorough, so if you want them to just look at a few things then give them that guidance. Appointment in advance required. http://www.hergesheimer.com/

2. Vision Motorsports - I haven't used them but others have recommended them. http://www.visionmotorsports.com/

3. Redline Automotive - I haven't used them but others have recommended them in the past. http://redlineautowerks.com/

4. GMG - not sure if they do PPIs but they are in Santa Ana and certainly capable of doing this. PM me if you want the service manager's direct contact info. http://www.gmgracing.com/

I personally would not do a leak down unless the road test or other findings make you want to investigate further (rather than walk away). Leak down tests on this motor are very expensive. My 997TT has a maxed Rev 1 and 2 counter in addition to 3s and a couple in the even higher ranges! However, they all occurred many operating hours before I purchased the car and the higher range ones are likely errant readings rather than real ones IMO. In any case, definitely get a DME scan in addition to the typical road test, paint inspection, body/chassis/suspension evaluation, and also have them look closely at the coolant connections throughout the engine bay. There is obviously more you want to do, but honestly, most of what you need is pretty standard during a PPI by a reputable shop (all of the above).
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TypeRx
From one former Chicagoan to another, here are some options (I moved to Orange County 3 years ago).

1. Hergesheimer Motorsports - I've had a PPI done there before. They are very thorough, so if you want them to just look at a few things then give them that guidance. Appointment in advance required. http://www.hergesheimer.com/

2. Vision Motorsports - I haven't used them but others have recommended them. http://www.visionmotorsports.com/

3. Redline Automotive - I haven't used them but others have recommended them in the past. http://redlineautowerks.com/

4. GMG - not sure if they do PPIs but they are in Santa Ana and certainly capable of doing this. PM me if you want the service manager's direct contact info. http://www.gmgracing.com/

I personally would not do a leak down unless the road test or other findings make you want to investigate further (rather than walk away). Leak down tests on this motor are very expensive. My 997TT has a maxed Rev 1 and 2 counter in addition to 3s and a couple in the even higher ranges! However, they all occurred many operating hours before I purchased the car and the higher range ones are likely errant readings rather than real ones IMO. In any case, definitely get a DME scan in addition to the typical road test, paint inspection, body/chassis/suspension evaluation, and also have them look closely at the coolant connections throughout the engine bay. There is obviously more you want to do, but honestly, most of what you need is pretty standard during a PPI by a reputable shop (all of the above).
Thanks TypeRX. Your feedback is exactly what I was looking for to have a PPI done by someone reputable. Id rather have a reputable indy do the service than a dealership.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Get a PPI and service records.

When you buy one drive it like you stole it and worry about the repairs later.

My two cents is if "you" are worried (not saying you are worried) about any minor or major repairs dont by a 997TT
Good advice.
The cost when something hits the fan can be high on many cars, at least with a turbo you're having a lot of fun.

Have you considered a 991tt under warranty?
Old 01-14-2017, 06:59 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Good advice.
The cost when something hits the fan can be high on many cars, at least with a turbo you're having a lot of fun.

Have you considered a 991tt under warranty?
exactly, I sounded a little blunt but no PPI or service record is going to keep a car from breaking. If there is something wrong its going to happen.

Drive the car like it should be driven and fix a problem if it comes up.

A CPO car is much better cause it gives you peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Newbi