Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mezger vs 9A1! Which is the "must have" engine, and why there is actually no winner.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:32 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenomore
Hey - I just bought those same Champion wheels - was the girl supposed to come with them??
Depends on your bank account.... Mine, supports neither. Awwwwwwwwwww... JB
Old 10-22-2016, 12:04 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Depends on your bank account.... Mine, supports neither. Awwwwwwwwwww... JB
Nice one.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:13 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zeus993
My thoughts exactly. I've been to Le Mans and Daytona and witnessed Corvettes thrashing the 991 Cups with their 9A1 engines.

What gives Porsche?

Need to power it up? Move the engine forward? Bring back the Mezger?
I was at the last Rolex Daytona race and was scratching my head as well when those two vettes finished 1 and 2. Closest race ever. 991 Cups didn't stand a chance. I had fun at the Porsche hospitality suite though and seeing Hurley Haywood and Nick Tandy.

I wouldn't be surprised if 911s will follow the 918 hybrid technology years down the road.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
This is a ridiculously stupid and pointless argument, so here, let me make my case for why the 9A1 is better.

Weird way to prove a point.

Drive what you like.
If you were asked on an exam what this piece/article was about you would fail. Go back, and have one more read. lol Prefaced with 'no winner' you should have been able to read between the lines and realize the point of the original post was that these motors were created for the same purpose with the same philosophy, ultimately for the same destiny in mind. Have another go at it --you took it at face value.

Of course the engine is going to have improved specs, why wouldn't it? Lol

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 10-22-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:35 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strato58
Its the Mezger II? ..probably no . Is it more generic, easier to build, cheaper to build and more profitable?..Probably.
Cheaper to build and more profitable, yes. 40-50% cheaper to run these engines as well. Frequency of rebuilds will be brought down, it moves the game forward in terms of cost. The mezger needed an engine tuneup every 40 hours and a transmission service every 30 hours, now the engine can go 80 to 100 hours, and the transmission needs attention only every 60 hours.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:40 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
My thoughts exactly. I've been to Le Mans and Daytona and witnessed Corvettes thrashing the 991 Cups with their 9A1 engines.

What gives Porsche?

Need to power it up? Move the engine forward? Bring back the Mezger?

You're funny, all 991 GT3 cups still use a Mezger motor. Yes, you read that correctly, the 991 Cups still have Mezgers in them to this day.

Beginning next year you'll see the 9A1 motor in them. Better fuel economy (reduce pit stops) and a bump in hp is needed to compete. They had no choice but to stop Mezger production. The torque curve is broader, and the engine is lighter with an improved throttle response. Believe it or not, drivers complained about the throttle response on the Mezger which is surprising, thought it was near perfect in that department. Hopefully they're very competitive again.

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 10-22-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:53 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by estrellajon
I was at the last Rolex Daytona race and was scratching my head as well when those two vettes finished 1 and 2. Closest race ever. 991 Cups didn't stand a chance. I had fun at the Porsche hospitality suite though and seeing Hurley Haywood and Nick Tandy.

I wouldn't be surprised if 911s will follow the 918 hybrid technology years down the road.
I don't know which Porsche exec said this but all the 992.2 911s are slated to become hybrids. So the 992.1 is due in 2018 as a MY2019, and the hybrids will arrive 2021 as MY2022s. That's the target date right now. I can't remember if I read that in a magazine or whether it was stated in an interview.

Within the last month, one of the execs also said that Porsche will not sell a hybrid with a manual transmission because it "doesn't make sense". There's losses with the clutch not being engaged which also can't be predicted so it needs to be taken out of the equation. So figure in about 6 years no 911 will come with a manual. :/

Take rates on manual 911s is now less than 10%. It is dying out very fast.

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 10-22-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:37 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
I don't know which Porsche exec said this but all the 992.2 911s are slated to become hybrids. So the 992.1 is due in 2018 as a MY2019, and the hybrids will arrive 2021 as MY2022s. That's the target date right now. I can't remember if I read that in a magazine or whether it was stated in an interview.

Within the last month, one of the execs also said that Porsche will not sell a hybrid with a manual transmission because it "doesn't make sense". There's losses with the clutch not being engaged which also can't be predicted so it needs to be taken out of the equation. So figure in about 6 years no 911 will come with a manual. :/
I figured. When the GT1 LeMans won in 98, the motors made it to the 07-09 GT/turbo cars. With the 919 LeMans being this successful (although came close to losing if not Toyota didn't break at the last lap), just a matter of time will the hybrid technology be in 911s.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
You're funny, all 991 GT3 cups still use a Mezger motor. Yes, you read that correctly, the 991s still have Mezgers in them to this day.

Beginning next year you'll see the 9A1 motor in them. Better fuel economy (reduce pit stops) and a bump in hp is needed to compete. They had no choice but to stop Mezger production. The torque curve is broader, and the engine is lighter with an improved throttle response. Believe it or not, drivers complained about the throttle response on the Mezger which is surprising, thought it was near perfect in that department. Hopefully they're very competitive again.
Actually, The cars running at Daytona (GTD) is a 911 GT3-R which is currently using the 9A1 motor for 2016 and they finished 2nd in class. The (GTLM) class 911 RSR was using the Mezger based motor. The current cup car is also a Mezger motor but that is not the car running in GTD as of last season (2016).

This makes thing interesting because we can directly compare with just a year apart the GTD car running the Mezger and 9A1 same driver and the times are very close. The main thing is though I don't know what restrictions were put on both engines (Max Revs/Restrictors). In general there was less then 1/2 a second between the two cars which is not uncommon for a year of development in other aspects of the car.

The real problem facing Porsche is that the new RSR will be quite a different car. The 9A1 N/A motor development was halted after a failed development program. The New RSR motor will be Turbocharged and likely built on the smaller displacement 9A2 motor.

In terms of the 9A1 making more power then the Mezger that certainly has not happened yet as 620 of the GT2 RS > 580 of the current Turbo S. Lets also not forget that the GT2/RS for the 991 has been delayed more then a few times trying not to repeat a 9A1 GT3 release snafu.

-Your Pal
Fishey
Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

My engine's better than your engine... nah nah nah nah nah nah.

From the first time I heard about "this engine being better than that engine, Mezger this, Mezger that", I thought, who cares? And how dumb, to me at least. Unless we're talking about race cars on a race track, so what?

I know nothing about engines, race cars, races, etc. I just love my car. It has nothing to do with the engine, though the engine does kick bloody a**. It has to do with all it's parts together.

Have a nice day y'all.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:05 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious... how much influence if any, does Porsche's parent company have on their engine development and race programs? Have there been turnover's in Porsches' lead engineers, budget reductions, changes in strategic strategies?
No conspiracy theorist, please. Just interested in facts and/or data...thanks. JB
Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe none.
Porsche belongs to the VW group, that's true.
But the VW group as a whole belongs for over 50% to Porsche Holdings which is still run by the Porsche/Piech family.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:54 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Curious... how much influence if any, does Porsche's parent company have on their engine development and race programs? Have there been turnover's in Porsches' lead engineers, budget reductions, changes in strategic strategies?
No conspiracy theorist, please. Just interested in facts and/or data...thanks. JB
It was recently reported that the 960 (flat 8 engine) was canned and the engineers were moved to the Mission E project to speed up development time. It is speculated this happened to save on costs and probably related to the VW diesel scandal otherwise both cars would have been approved for production. This is all speculation.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Let's be honest. My F22 Honda S2000 engine is WAY better than all engines combined. Hence why it's named after the great F22 Raptor plane.

None of what I just said is true.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:01 AM
dennywags
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a better topic than another '76-79 930 with 17 miles on it that sold for $300k.

And at least the OP spelled "Mezger" correctly.

Quick Reply: Mezger vs 9A1! Which is the "must have" engine, and why there is actually no winner.