Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mezger vs 9A1! Which is the "must have" engine, and why there is actually no winner.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mezger vs 9A1! Which is the "must have" engine, and why there is actually no winner.

Hey guys, new to these 997 turbo forums as of last week. lol What struck me as odd is the number of 997.1 turbo owners referring to the Mezger block as being superior to the 9A1 block long-term.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out I own a 997.2 GT3 RS and think the Mezger is one of the best engines in history in naturally aspirated form.

Now, regarding the Mezger vs 9A1 debate, just wanted to throw a few points out there for people to understand and reflect on because I find this debate merit less and quite frankly, silly at best.

So proponents for the Mezger generally go like this....

The mezger has the racing pedigree (one of the most successful engine blocks in history), the reliability (backed up via race car usage since the mid-90s), the prestige, and even has an output of 620hp in the GT2 RS making it the king of the hill in overall output. On top of that, this engine is being tuned to monstrous levels. That statement holds true in 2016.

BUT...

Now, let me give you an outlook into the future....

GT3R was revealed in 2015 with a 9A1 motor.
GT3 Cup was revealed in 2016 with a 9A1 motor.
GT3 RSR will be revealed with a turbo in 2017... with you guessed it... a 9A1 motor according to rumours and test mules with that distinctive turbo sound!
2018 GT2 RS will be unveiled in 2017/18, and once again, with the 9A1 motor! And it will have 650-700hp according to reports surpassing the Mezger once again.

The 9A1's racing pedgree is just beginning to form. The reliability will be established, and the cars will probably continue to do well against the competition. The engine block will recieve the highest output to date as well.

Lastly, this question of 'tunability' --more HP can be achieved with the earlier block. The 9A1 appeared in the 997.2, is continuing through the 991, and as of now, there is no indication that the 9A1 won't be used for the 992 as well. Eventually this block will continue to be upgraded to be more durable, and I'm assuming the modified block that will be used in the GT2 RS will be more reliable and durable than the Mezger block. This is just a question of when, not if, the 9A1 will eventually be tuned to levels well in excess of 1000HP.

So, once you sit back and understand legends take time to be created, to argue that the Mezger is more special or has more of an iconic status is just downright silly when the 9A1 is being used for the exact same applications in racing. It's a question of time...

I've noticed it's a common theme that 997.1 owners here keep stating that the Mezger block is the one to have. I'm not sure these forum posters have any foresight because the 9A1 is basically the Mezger II block. It will receive the same status and prestige and racing heritage as the Mezger with time making this whole debate a moot point.

A few years from now people are not going to value a Mezger over a 9A1. Not sure everyone understands this is the beginning of the motorsport lifespan of the 9A1. The 2014 GT3 fiasco was solved and all the original motors were replaced, unaffecting values years from now and it presumably, won't be repeated.

In addition, the 9A1 has improved fuel economy that will reduce the number of pitstops required in a race, and turbo lag is down on the street cars vs earlier models.

Not sure if there's anything here to debate about. I'll step back and would like to hear if there are any additional arguments. I think by 2019 or so after all the crazy GT2 RS reviews, and GT3 RSR this will be a topic that will take a backseat.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:25 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

What is silly is you stating as fact that the 9A1 will definitely have the same racing pedigree as the Mezger "in time". You have no idea as to whether it will nor does anybody else. It might then again it might not.

The entire logic of your argument is "the 9A1 is newer therefore it is better". Not very nuanced.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:39 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Pointless thread. Who cares, enjoy the cars.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Pointless thread. Who cares, enjoy the cars.
+1

Not sure why anybody cares about this.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:05 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Glad you guys agree. I thought this topic was ridiculously stupid which is why I needed to post this. I'm hoping this is the thread to end all threads so that it isn't mentioned repeatedly.

The frequency that this is brought up in various threads is mind numbing.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

okie dokie
Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When the 9A1 powers a car to overall victory let me know until then it will not have the pedigree of the Mezger motor. Also, the motor will never see a lifespan nearly as long as the mighty mezger. Also, the gearbox connected to that 9a1 will never have a racing pedigree as strong as a g50 bases unit. I love both but from a standpoint of future value it's a easy conclusion. Would you rather have the very best of the mezger or the very first of the 9a1 which will only be improved in the future.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a ridiculously stupid and pointless argument, so here, let me make my case for why the 9A1 is better.

Weird way to prove a point.

Drive what you like.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
This is a ridiculously stupid and pointless argument, so here, let me make my case for why the 9A1 is better.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Its the Mezger II? ..probably no . Is it more generic, easier to build, cheaper to build and more profitable?..Probably.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, what we're we talking about????
Old 10-21-2016, 01:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
When the 9A1 powers a car to overall victory let me know until then it will not have the pedigree of the Mezger motor. Also, the motor will never see a lifespan nearly as long as the mighty mezger. Also, the gearbox connected to that 9a1 will never have a racing pedigree as strong as a g50 bases unit. I love both but from a standpoint of future value it's a easy conclusion. Would you rather have the very best of the mezger or the very first of the 9a1 which will only be improved in the future.
My thoughts exactly. I've been to Le Mans and Daytona and witnessed Corvettes thrashing the 991 Cups with their 9A1 engines.

What gives Porsche?

Need to power it up? Move the engine forward? Bring back the Mezger?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Name:  trolldontfeed.jpg
Views: 4251
Size:  13.3 KB
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM
vettenomore
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnbelk

Sorry, what we're we talking about????

Hey - I just bought those same Champion wheels - was the girl supposed to come with them??
Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenomore
Hey - I just bought those same Champion wheels - was the girl supposed to come with them??
this thread is now becoming way more intelligent... er, interesting...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mezger vs 9A1! Which is the "must have" engine, and why there is actually no winner.