Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Turbo manual future values

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 02:13 PM
TurboTime997
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Really sharp looking, thanks for the pics. Glad to see you're having fun----and I chuckled when I read your comment on the smell. This is my first 911 of any sort and it definitely has a smell that I haven't experienced with any other car. Is the lip on your car a factory piece? It definitely looks like it would take a beating for regular driving. Perhaps the standard lip that at least looks to be a bit more flexible would be a better option?
Old 12-21-2020, 02:37 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes, the splitter I have now is an after market modification, so I may replace it with the standard one.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:19 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Cnair
With the short wheelbase and overhang these lips get scratched up very easily. Need to careful entering and exiting driveways.
First thing I did on the ride home from picking up my car was scratch the lip on my driveway . Learned the lesson the hardway I have to enter/exit the far side of the circular drive. booked marked this link for the cheaper splitter someone mentinoed above: https://www.ebay.com/itm/262226654980. I have also just accepted I am going to scrape it occasionally and curse whenever it happens.

I also love every new owners description of the first time they got in it and step on it (including mine). These cars have such unreal power that makes it so much fun to drive on almost any road; twisties (yes), highway (yes), crusing around town (yes). I can't wait for spring to bust it back out and unleash it.

Last edited by PowderJunkie; 12-22-2020 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DivingorDriving (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 03:32 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
First thing I did on the ride home from picking up my car was scratch the lip on my driveway . Learned the lesson the hardway I have to enter/exit the far side of the circular drive. booked marked this link for the cheaper splitter someone mentinoed above: https://www.ebay.com/itm/262226654980. I have also just accepted I am going to scrape it occasionally and curse whenever it happens.

I also love every new owners description of the first time they got in it and step on it (including mine). These cars have such unreal power that makes it so much fun to drive on almost any road; twisties (yes), highway (yes), crusing around town (yes). I can't wait for spring to bust it back out and unleash it.
Thanks, I just bought one. For a hundred bucks, I think it's definitely worth a try, and could just be a sacrificial layer. I appreciate everybody's help!
PowderJunkie (12-25-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Glad those ebay lips are back in production now....they had disappeared for a bit
PowderJunkie (12-25-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:59 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I got my 2010 997tt PDK in Atlas Gray, about in the middle of the early pandemic. Traded a 993C4S in order to get a modern car we could take on road trips (have had a bunch of older fun but needy cars, wanted a break). I was shopping for the elusive 'do all' vehicle: Performance, comfort, function, with a modicum of appreciation potential. Honestly, if it didn't lose value I'd have been happy. Seems the tides are turning in our favor for both manual and PDKs because the 997.2 is just such a fine animal.

My car had been lowered when I got it, and though I live in Florida with undetectable elevation changes and little to any goofy driveway transitions (unlike my former Alabama home) I STILL managed to scrape it regularly. Finally just had the car raised to stock height and all is well.

The car is such a ridiculously competent combination of accessible speed and docile cruising. When you light off the turbos to get around traffic - boom - you're around them and winding past 3 digit speed instantly. All without drama. An unreal package all around. I'd shopped a 991 also, but found the size to be a bit too bulbous, at least for me. The 997 fits exactly right.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adams:
DivingorDriving (12-23-2020), PowderJunkie (12-25-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

For the last 15 years I've gotten my kicks on motorcycles, fast motorcycles with great handling. Going fast was never the goal, getting around a curve as quickly and smoothly and getting to the next curve was always my target. However, the best thing on the roads was that I never, ever hesitated to do double-yellow passes on cars to keep my progress as uninterrupted as possible. (There is very little enforcement where I live and ride/drive). As fast as you can think you want to pass someone...you are past them. I always assumed those moves were something impossible to do in a car.....then I bought my '11 TTS Cab and realized that it builds speed as fast, if not faster, than many RR's (Race Replicas). I am astounded at the abilities of this car. Absolutely gob-smacking power.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin8tor:
Bucket70 (12-24-2020), DivingorDriving (12-23-2020), PowderJunkie (12-25-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin8tor
For the last 15 years I've gotten my kicks on motorcycles, fast motorcycles with great handling. Going fast was never the goal, getting around a curve as quickly and smoothly and getting to the next curve was always my target. However, the best thing on the roads was that I never, ever hesitated to do double-yellow passes on cars to keep my progress as uninterrupted as possible. (There is very little enforcement where I live and ride/drive). As fast as you can think you want to pass someone...you are past them. I always assumed those moves were something impossible to do in a car.....then I bought my '11 TTS Cab and realized that it builds speed as fast, if not faster, than many RR's (Race Replicas). I am astounded at the abilities of this car. Absolutely gob-smacking power.
Right, power that's perfect for a PDK, not a manual.
Kevin8tor (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:28 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

I managed to get fairly comprehensive service records for the turbo yesterday and today, from Paul Miller Porsche, who did the last service on the car in 2017 (but only 275 miles ago!), and from Gold Coast Porsche, who did the PPI two months ago. Props to those two dealerships for going out of their way to get me a good foundation on which to build a maintenance plan. The last maintenance in October 2017 was a "full tune up", which I interpret to mean was the 4 year/40k mile service. I am taking her in to Porsche Austin Saturday for oil service, brake fluid change, AWD controller fluid change, and check and possible change of drive belt, based on Big Swole's recommendation of having the 6 year service now. Also replacing rear tires, as the PPI shows they are 2011 tires with low tread depth (front tires are from 2017, and the car hasn't been driven much since then). I plan to discuss with Porsche Austin upgrading the PCM (it's version 2.21) and correcting the CD changer issue.

Meanwhile I removed the stereo *****, that were very sticky, and coated them in Plasti Dip and replaced them. They seem not to be tacky any longer. And as reported earlier I bought a new splitter. Today I also bought the "turbo" logo for the rear, as the car came without that, and I ultimately decided I preferred to have it. Will discuss installation of those items with the shop doing the ppf and ceramic coatings after Christmas. (So far I have been pretty successful at avoiding scrapes of the front lip, with an active effort to do so, though the rear vertical fins actually scrape more, especially as I back into my driveway and garage. I am as careful as I can be, and beyond that I just don't worry about it.)

Took my wife out for a jaunt today, so I have a photo. She loves the car, but was a bit discomfited when her neck kept snapping backward. Life is good!

If you squint you can see the lake...
The following 2 users liked this post by DivingorDriving:
Jeff Jones (12-24-2020), PowderJunkie (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:51 PM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DivingorDriving
Thanks, I just bought one. For a hundred bucks, I think it's definitely worth a try, and could just be a sacrificial layer. I appreciate everybody's help!
I just installed one. Not worth it. Barley fits, lots of grinding, like so much grinding the tabs down to fit. And the entire thing really isn't long enough. I got it kinda work, but it doesn't look good up close. Here's a pic of me trying to get this thing to fit. I had to keep on bringing and even then... Still doesn't fit 100%. I wouldn't buy one again. Pay the extra few bucks and buy a better quality one.

​​​​​

Old 12-25-2020, 08:07 AM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Oh, wow, thanks for the info. I would happily pay more to get a better fit. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Do any others of you who have or have had the aerokit extended front lip also have this lower rear valance? Is it all part of the same option package? Regardless, it's been a bigger dragging issue for me than the lip. I'm just scraping it as little as possible and not worrying about it.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:50 AM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DivingorDriving
Oh, wow, thanks for the info. I would happily pay more to get a better fit. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Do any others of you who have or have had the aerokit extended front lip also have this lower rear valance? Is it all part of the same option package? Regardless, it's been a bigger dragging issue for me than the lip. I'm just scraping it as little as possible and not worrying about it.

I don't think I have ever seen that rear valence before but now I want!
Old 12-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

No that valence/rear splitter is an aftermarket part.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:26 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes they are already the most costly 997 turbo by far and their value will keep increasing for the reasons you named. I have a bud who owns one and was recently offered $120K which he declined. I saw one on dupont two weeks ago for $98K. I assume it was gobbled up quickly.
realking (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 06:58 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
I don't think I have ever seen that rear valence before but now I want!
It must be something like these:

http://www.gmpperformance.com/cat/59...rear-diffusers

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo manual future values