Sponsored by:

Sunroof felt

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 01:00 AM
vargas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof felt

Have spent a considerate amount of time but no dice. Reaching out to the members to see if anyone has the knowledge whether or not the sunroof has to be dismembered for its black felt to be replaced or is it simply a matter of opening the sunroof and replacing it...thanks in advance.

The previous owner on my 997.1 had the car polished and waxed every so often and the felt discolored into a white fuzz. Normally wouldn't be such a drag but the car is black and it's becoming an eye sore. I've tried cleaning it with alcohol and a soft brush, it helped a bit but it's still bad at certain areas.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced the felt on my previous 996TT; most of the exposed felt was gone due to exposure/cleaning/ etc... didn't have to take anything apart. Just protect the edges with some painters tape and try to use a plastic tool to remove portions of the felt as you get closer to the rear portion of the sunroof opening... u don't want to cause unnecessary scratches... ask me how I know...
Old 10-04-2016, 02:58 AM
vargas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Took the vehicle to my local dealership today and they noted that the passenger side of the felt is slipping off. I never noticed it because it's only visible from the top when the sunroof is open when not pressing against the seal. Luckily, I had the sunroof open when the service advisor showed up to look at it. They feel the CPO warranty should honor the replacement. I've made an appointment to drop it off later this week.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:10 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

To clarify, are you talking about the thin strip of black trim visible around the perimeter of the sunroof when closed (to seal it), or something else?

Just this weekend, I noticed the black trim lining around my sunroof looked rough - seemed to be a combination of wax build-up and some degradation of the material. Former was easily addressed with a wax removal product, but latter seems like it simply will require replacement at some point, which is a bit odd b/c the car is garaged at all times, never driven in weather, etc.

Would be curious to know what replacement cost looks like.

Quick Reply: Sunroof felt