997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Smoking Tire - 997TT One Take

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016 | 11:42 PM
vbb
Pro

If you watch these videos expecting a major car magazine level review and production, it isn't that. But if you watch with the understanding that it is one car guy driving the cars, mods and all, of another enthusiast, then it all makes sense. I watched the review he did of that one chick's modded 996 Turbo and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm glad he did one of the 997TT. To the car owner, thanks for letting him do the video.

I can't understand why he said the 991 C2S is faster though. It isn't, and I can't imagine it feels faster either...but perhaps the fact that the speed comes so effortlessly on these cars lulls people into a sense of "not that fast" even when you're pulling right past 80mph like it is absolutely nothing. And the whole bit about the Tiptronic sucking...I've driven both a manual and a Tip 08 turbo, and an 09 non turbo PDK. The manual is certainly more engaging, and the PDK is the better of the two autos, so I agree the Tip is in last place between the 3. But I do not think it sucks. All are very fun cars to drive. Those are my only two quibbles with the video. I enjoyed it.
Old 09-21-2016 | 12:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

He did a nice one on a Ruf btr last yr, very cool. Btw, a 991s is not faster than a turbo....
Old 09-21-2016 | 01:18 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OhSoCal
Do you have a catted or catless Speedtech exhaust? You can hear those turbos spool pretty nicely.
When I owned the car I had the speedtech 3.0 xcellerator exhaust put on it.

Cat less with 90 degree O2 extenders so that it doesnt throw CEL.
Old 09-21-2016 | 08:02 AM
atcbi5
Banned

I have the eibachs springs installed and my car bounces all over the road. I wonder if that DSC unit would alleviate this condition.
Old 09-21-2016 | 12:04 PM
lbwsandiego
Advanced

re: the exhaust - yes, exhaust is the same as when Dan owned it.

Road & Track also liked it apparently: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...turbo-bargain/
Old 09-21-2016 | 12:18 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vbb
If you watch these videos expecting a major car magazine level review and production, it isn't that. But if you watch with the understanding that it is one car guy driving the cars, mods and all, of another enthusiast, then it all makes sense. I watched the review he did of that one chick's modded 996 Turbo and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm glad he did one of the 997TT. To the car owner, thanks for letting him do the video.

I can't understand why he said the 991 C2S is faster though. It isn't, and I can't imagine it feels faster either...but perhaps the fact that the speed comes so effortlessly on these cars lulls people into a sense of "not that fast" even when you're pulling right past 80mph like it is absolutely nothing. And the whole bit about the Tiptronic sucking...I've driven both a manual and a Tip 08 turbo, and an 09 non turbo PDK. The manual is certainly more engaging, and the PDK is the better of the two autos, so I agree the Tip is in last place between the 3. But I do not think it sucks. All are very fun cars to drive. Those are my only two quibbles with the video. I enjoyed it.

understand your point about major car mags like evo, motor trend, autocar

but here is an example of a small, non-pro team (in same LA area)... they just do it better imho... i get alot more out of their content
Old 09-21-2016 | 12:57 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
understand your point about major car mags like evo, motor trend, autocar

but here is an example of a small, non-pro team (in same LA area)... they just do it better imho... i get alot more out of their content
I've seen those guys before, and no doubt they do a more thorough, more produced type of review than Smoking Tire, but at a budget less than what you see with Evo or R&T. I actually enjoy them. However, the Smoking Tire seems to be something a little different, and that's cool too. ST is the feel of the swapping keys with a guy you might meet at the local Cars and Coffee event and just talking about what you like about each other's car. Plus they drive modified cars, and do fresh takes on older cars which I find interesting as well because most of the other guys review newish cars in their stock form. I like the perspective of the ST crew reviewing an 8 year old modified car when they can compare it against a lot of the stuff that has come out more recently. It's a little different than the norm.
Old 09-21-2016 | 02:00 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
I have the eibachs springs installed and my car bounces all over the road. I wonder if that DSC unit would alleviate this condition.
I have the same springs and the DSC. Do it.
Old 09-21-2016 | 03:00 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Nice video and car. As one considering DSC, driver said a few times that the Porsche system is "passive" whereas DSC is active. But isn't it PASM, Porsche Active Suspension Management? DSC is therefore more active?
Old 09-21-2016 | 03:14 PM
TypeRx
Racer

^^Yes, DSC has much better reaction time and corrective inputs than the factory programming.
Old 09-21-2016 | 06:58 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vbb

Because the PDK version is actually faster compared to a stock 6spd 997.1tt. In a straight line and on the track. I would still rather have a TT.

991.2 C2S
0-60 - 3.1
1/4 mile - 11.5

Last edited by Bloose993TT; 09-22-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2016 | 07:15 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Is it me or was he outright insulting at times....
Old 09-21-2016 | 08:06 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Is it me or was he outright insulting at times....
condescending maybe?
Old 09-21-2016 | 08:58 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Because the PDK version is actually faster compared to a stock 6spd 997.1tt. In a straight line and on the track. I would still rather have a TT.

991.2 C2S
0-60 - 3.1
1/4 mile - 11.2

2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S Hot Lap! - 2016 Best Driver's Car Contender - YouTube
Well then. I honestly had no idea the newest 991 C2S was turning 3.1 0-60 times and quarter mile times in the low 11s. Wow, that is nuts!
Old 09-21-2016 | 10:32 PM
jatmonn997tt
Intermediate

I like the informal, non scripted or edited format of Matt's videos (one take). It's interesting because I met him once in Detroit when he was in town to review the 2011 Shelby GT500. Had a lengthy discussions with another journalist about my 997 Turbo which came down to the industry consensus that the engine is in the wrong place. How times change, lol.

Also, the seat of the pants comment he made about latest turbo Carrera being faster is probably attributable to turbo lag the 997 has.

Quick Reply: The Smoking Tire - 997TT One Take