Sponsored by:

Kinda OT: Garage lifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 03:00 PM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by elite1
Great Thread! Thinking the same thing.

I came across a 4 post lift a year ago, that would allow a two post conversion. This was a center rail type two point lift off a 4 point (whole car) lift.

Anyone know what lift im describing?

Cincy, not a highjack on your thread but, i realized that the MaxxJax wouldn't suffice for my Cayenne (deal breaker) due to its weight. I since have moved to a home that has 10.5Ft+ ceilings and i can modify the door and tracks myself. This same setup may work for you also but with slight limitations.

A Center lift blocks the mid body and that has pushed me away from them. As you know, Drive train may need some attention from time to time.
That is NOT correct. MAXJAX is rated for 6000 pounds. unless you are carrying something in your cayenne it is only 5000 pounds. i lifted my toyota sequoia when i first moved into my new house to test out the lift. he is 5800 pounds and lifted it with no problem what so ever. i actually have a picture of it going up and down. in a 2 post lift the most important thing is the anchor and the weight they are designed to take on load.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/maxjax-how-safe

the only reason i'm thinking of adding a 4 post is for parking. i've worked on cars for years with just jack stands to be honest, i don't use my lift no where near as much as i thought i would. but i recently got a viper and had to do a good bit of work on it and used it more than i've ever had the previous years combined. it is a nice tool to have.
Old 09-13-2016 | 08:22 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I'm thinking of getting some sort of lift for the car so I can work on my cars more easily. The problem is that I have only 9 feet of height space as the garage is in the basement.

The maxjax seems like a decent option, or a scissor lift, but it's important to me to have the center of the jack open to do work under the car. Have any of you done any research or explored this for yourself? Or even with a car like ours at 9 feet you won't be able to get much room above my chubby body anyway?

Thanks,
The two post danmar maxjack work well with limited height workspaces.

I have a different problem, the height of my garage differs front to back
~ 8 feet in the front, and > 15 feet in the back.

I bought a Rotary 2 post lift and am just careful to only raise the car to just below the lower ceiling limit.

This works fine, but takes some attention to detail.
At max height, the wheel centers are at my face, so plenty high to do whatever I need to.

Just R&R'd the LSD this past weekend.

Ciao
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2016 | 08:28 PM
racingdad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
How tall is your ceiling, Garagedad?
12 feet with 8 ft high garage door openings.
Old 09-13-2016 | 09:27 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Untitled by supralx570, on Flickr

Im happy with this set up. I do have to say that you would be somewhat limited to how much access you have under the car
Old 01-19-2017 | 01:59 AM
elite1
Racer

Originally Posted by sidwin
That is NOT correct. MAXJAX is rated for 6000 pounds. unless you are carrying something in your cayenne it is only 5000 pounds. i lifted my toyota sequoia when i first moved into my new house to test out the lift. he is 5800 pounds and lifted it with no problem what so ever. i actually have a picture of it going up and down. in a 2 post lift the most important thing is the anchor and the weight they are designed to take on load.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/maxjax-how-safe

the only reason i'm thinking of adding a 4 post is for parking. i've worked on cars for years with just jack stands to be honest, i don't use my lift no where near as much as i thought i would. but i recently got a viper and had to do a good bit of work on it and used it more than i've ever had the previous years combined. it is a nice tool to have.

This is NOT correct!

Maybe, I have huge Turbos.? Still not safe for the Max Jax. Guess i'm back to my original thought.

You had me for a second regardless.
Old 01-19-2017 | 02:01 AM
elite1
Racer

Just for proof.
Old 01-19-2017 | 02:10 AM
sidwin
Pro

Originally Posted by elite1

Just for proof.
proof that you are wrong ;-). Gvwr is the gross vehicle weight. That means if you had everyone in your car. If you plan on lifting it with people then the answer would be no. Curb weight on a cayenne turbo is only 4900. I took my Sequioa to get weighed. It came in at 5880 pounds
Go take your car to a scale place and ask them.
Old 01-19-2017 | 02:26 AM
elite1
Racer

Great idea with the scale. I did my research with weight and everything i found led me to believe 4800lbs or so. I guess i'll need to ask my wife to get out of the car for the oil change.?

I just hate the idea of pressing the limit while under the car. Jacks make me nervous.
Old 01-19-2017 | 09:37 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

not sure why everyone is posting 4 post lifts, those are not for working on a car and more for storage of cars in the garage. My uncle has a 2 post lift for working on the car and it's great.
Old 01-19-2017 | 10:23 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Design issue to be aware of with QUICKJACK 7000 SLX (maybe other models as well) is no lifting power when the lift is "collapsed" if I read the thread right on another forum, I always see these advertised on TV so it has my interest somewhat now.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...k-7000slx.html
Old 01-19-2017 | 11:39 AM
elite1
Racer

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
not sure why everyone is posting 4 post lifts, those are not for working on a car and more for storage of cars in the garage. My uncle has a 2 post lift for working on the car and it's great.
Dual Purpose. If you get an adaptor you can use maintenance and storage.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2017 | 11:45 AM
therock88
Pro

OP...I have been using Scissor Jack for some time, and when I do need access to the center (which there isn't much there really), I add the extensions for extra clearance. I have done all sorts of work on the Scissor Jack with no issues. Not a perfect solution, but acceptable. Just FYI.

I also bought a 6-Bay auto repair franchise...so if I do need another lift...I have 25ft ceilings and plenty of clearance Other than the headaches of staffing/training...it is a good purchase for my hobby...haha

DC

In the process of changing the clutch on the 987 Boxster S

Easy access to most everything on the TT as well...

Old 01-19-2017 | 01:52 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
No reason to be bothered by it and You can do some work on a 4 post lift. You can def swap out exhaust and any more engine work that of course may not require engine drop.
Old 01-19-2017 | 08:15 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
Design issue to be aware of with QUICKJACK 7000 SLX (maybe other models as well) is no lifting power when the lift is "collapsed" if I read the thread right on another forum, I always see these advertised on TV so it has my interest somewhat now.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...k-7000slx.html
Design issue are on the older pumps.
Old 01-20-2017 | 02:00 AM
elite1
Racer

Originally Posted by therock88
OP...I have been using Scissor Jack for some time, and when I do need access to the center (which there isn't much there really), I add the extensions for extra clearance. I have done all sorts of work on the Scissor Jack with no issues. Not a perfect solution, but acceptable. Just FYI.

I also bought a 6-Bay auto repair franchise...so if I do need another lift...I have 25ft ceilings and plenty of clearance Other than the headaches of staffing/training...it is a good purchase for my hobby...haha

DC

In the process of changing the clutch on the 987 Boxster S

Rock, you kind of a nut case. I hope you understand that statement.

Love it! Are you practicing on the boxer?

Quick Reply: Kinda OT: Garage lifts