Sponsored by:

Preparing to sell 2007 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-911
I know people like to say that but it's simply not true. What is overpriced to some is priced perfect for someone else. You just need to wait for that 'someone else'. Long time ago I sold my Lotus Esprit. Wanted 'top dollar' as it was a perfect car. I advertised it for several months and no takers. Removed add during winter, relisted in spring for even more and it sold for asking within a month or so. Yesterday I sold a Cannondale racing bike for ask after it had been listed since July. Several offers from the start but stubborn as I am, wanted full ask. The guy who bought it yesterday was so happy he got it. Me too.
Yep . I use the same strategy. Just takes patience . The way I see it, everyday brings new potential buyers and window shoppers come and go.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-911
I know people like to say that but it's simply not true....I sold my Lotus Esprit. Wanted 'top dollar' as it was a perfect car.
I advertised it for several months and no takers. Removed add during winter, relisted in spring for even more and it sold for asking within a month or so.
Well, you're talking about two different things.

The car could very well be overpriced right now. At a future time many months down the road, maybe not. We're talking about selling the car and the price now, not several months from now or next year.

On my many years on Rennlist, I can attest with great certainty that cars price right moved quickly. Cars that sit for more than a few days usually don't sell for a variety of reasons, but if a nice 997TT like this is not selling, it's because it's perceived as over-priced as of today. Right now. Not next month. Or in 2017. And just like a house for sake, the longer it sits for sale, the more likely the seller won't get close to his asking price. And before you flame, remember, the market decides what's overpriced, not any one individual.

Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course. But generally speaking, cars priced well will sell fast; cars that aren't, don't.

Now, we could debate this all day, but the bottom line is: has the car sold?

Still as simple as that
Old 09-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Well, you're talking about two different things.

The car could very well be overpriced right now. At a future time many months down the road, maybe not. We're talking about selling the car and the price now, not several months from now or next year.

On my many years on Rennlist, I can attest with great certainty that cars price right moved quickly. Cars that sit for more than a few days usually don't sell for a variety of reasons, but if a nice 997TT like this is not selling, it's because it's perceived as over-priced as of today. Right now. Not next month. Or in 2017. And just like a house for sake, the longer it sits for sale, the more likely the seller won't get close to his asking price. And before you flame, remember, the market decides what's overpriced, not any one individual.

Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course. But generally speaking, cars priced well will sell fast; cars that aren't, don't.

Now, we could debate this all day, but the bottom line is: has the car sold?

Still as simple as that
if the car was red it wouldn't be over priced at all
Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
But generally speaking, cars priced well will sell fast; cars that aren't, don't.
Having recently shopped for, and purchased, a 997.1 turbo, I agree with this statement.

I would add, good cars sell (very) quickly when priced right.

I missed several good cars b/c they sold within days of listing.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The way I look at it, Patience will get you thousands more. Especially if its a great car. Yes, it may take some time but all you need is ONE buyer who falls in love with the car. Had my Ducati listed for months (well overpriced compared to what others were going for), took the ad down for a week or so. Put it back up, the next day someone came and purchased for my asking price, no questions asked.

In this case the 997 TT is probably one of the best bang for your buck Porsches. I would pay the premium for a nice example. My logic, what can you get better for 80k? Hence why I wont sell mine, because for the $$ I know I cant get something better. But, if the $$ is too good, then EVERYTHING is for sale.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steven954
The way I look at it, Patience will get you thousands more. Especially if its a great car. Yes, it may take some time but all you need is ONE buyer who falls in love with the car. Had my Ducati listed for months (well overpriced compared to what others were going for), took the ad down for a week or so. Put it back up, the next day someone came and purchased for my asking price, no questions asked.

In this case the 997 TT is probably one of the best bang for your buck Porsches. I would pay the premium for a nice example. My logic, what can you get better for 80k? Hence why I wont sell mine, because for the $$ I know I cant get something better. But, if the $$ is too good, then EVERYTHING is for sale.
You can have a quick sale with a lower than average asking price, or you can wait to make a better profit with an over the average asking price... However, you "usually" cannot achieve both... First, one must consider, what is it I'm selling and how many potential buyers are out there. How many people are looking for his car??? A handful across the country? Maybe. He has a beautiful car no doubt and honestly, I don't think he's far off on price, but the right fish has not swam by yet... Where all does he have advertised for sell? Rhetoric. If you want top dollar and you want to sell faster you've got to market the car appropriately...more lines in the water will yield more opportunities... The OP should stick to his guns...if in a hurry to sell, then Market the hell out of the car...JB
Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Good one owner un storied cars are rare, I'd price it at 79,999 and not take a cent less than 75.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
if the car was red it wouldn't be over priced at all
I know Jared was being tongue in cheek, but color does matter too. There are more buyers for black cars than red/blue/etc so there are more out there at used car time.

For true top dollar, I think more information needs to be shared about potential failure areas that have been addressed or checked too so as to assure buyers that top dollar = no more additional investment to fix things. Coolant pipes, cams, slaves, etc.

I don't mind paying top dollar for a car that's exactly what I want and doesn't need any refinishing or refurbishing.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:53 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I know Jared was being tongue in cheek, but color does matter too. There are more buyers for black cars than red/blue/etc so there are more out there at used car time.

For true top dollar, I think more information needs to be shared about potential failure areas that have been addressed or checked too so as to assure buyers that top dollar = no more additional investment to fix things. Coolant pipes, cams, slaves, etc.

I don't mind paying top dollar for a car that's exactly what I want and doesn't need any refinishing or refurbishing.
Concur 100%... With an 07-09, those would be my first questions to the seller.... Huge Bonus if those items can be crossed off the to do list...including any other maintenance items, coils, plugs, plazma warp drives, etc..

If taken care of the OP should consider adding those items to his ad...it would help him to get closer to the $80K. If not, advertise the hell out it to reach a broader audience.... Wish I had his garage space problem with a new GT3 RS on the way...JB
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
RS Robbie
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car looks amazing in that color
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:28 PM
phojes
Instructor

Mileage & asking price updated in Rennlist ad
Old 01-21-2017, 02:26 PM
phojes
Instructor

Car still available, Rennlist price lowered to $78,987 & now listed on Autotrader as well, at a slightly higher price than on Rennlist. I'm still being patient. RS not here yet; maybe 1 month away.

Last edited by phojes; 01-21-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're more likely to get your price in the spring, I'd wait a couple of months.

Quick Reply: Preparing to sell 2007 Turbo