Sponsored by:

FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

We are finally getting into the full forged wheel business as far as selling them.

We want some feedback on a wheel price that you would feel would make you finally pull the trigger on a set for 19" or 20"....

We want to offer something that will be light weight, forged and something that would shatter the market as far as price is concerned.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated but we only ask that you keep things realistic, so please don't ask for a $2,000 price on a set of fully forged wheels here.

Thanks again in advance for your replies.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

$3000-4000 is the sweet spot.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
$3000-4000 is the sweet spot.
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated, we are hoping to bring something that is sure to make you consider spending those tax returns...
Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Greetings,
First let me introduce myself, I'm Attorney Dic Nanner, and represent the Chimpanzee's under contract with JB and LugNut.
I think it's important for those viewing this post to become more familiar with your wheel company. To include history, current products, sales, turn around times, experience with forged wheels, BBB ratings, etc...
As you're very much aware, RTF has recently been banned from advertising on Rennlist and other sites. I applaud your company for taking an opportunity to find a price point that may lead to future sales; that's capitalism.
However, to say that many are gun-shy reference wheels, would be an understatment...hope you can appreciate and understand. I know the Chimps, JB and LugNut are looking forward to learning more about your company, products and customer service.
​​​​​​Thank You,
Mr. Nanner

​​
Old 01-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by johnbelk

"Greetings,
First let me introduce myself, I'm Attorney Dic Nanner, and represent the Chimpanzee's under contract with JB and LugNut.
I think it's important for those viewing this post to become more familiar with your wheel company. To include history, current products, sales, turn around times, experience with forged wheels, BBB ratings, etc...
As you're very much aware, RTF has recently been banned from advertising on Rennlist and other sites. I applaud your company for taking an opportunity to find a price point that may lead to future sales; that's capitalism.
However, to say that many are gun-shy reference wheels, would be an understatment...hope you can appreciate and understand. I know the Chimps, JB and LugNut are looking forward to learning more about your company, products and customer service.
​​​​​​Thank You,
Mr. Nanner

​​
That is great, and we understand having been in the Porsche wheel side of the business since 2000 this gives us over 15-years of experience. We certainly understand how difficult it is to make 100% of all customers happy but we have certainly done our best to be as fair in our dealings as possible.

Having maintained a successful business all of these years says a lot about who we are and what we do. We don't offer wheels in general for other vehicles such as BMW, Audi, VW etc. as many of our competitors do, this allows us to be more specialized and also inventory more Porsche wheels. Currently we warehouse over 3,000 Porsche wheels so the majority of what we have available is in-stock.

Once again thank you for your input, we respect your words of advise.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
That is great, and we understand having been in the Porsche wheel side of the business since 2000 this gives us over 15-years of experience. We certainly understand how difficult it is to make 100% of all customers happy but we have certainly done our best to be as fair in our dealings as possible.

Having maintained a successful business all of these years says a lot about who we are and what we do. We don't offer wheels in general for other vehicles such as BMW, Audi, VW etc. as many of our competitors do, this allows us to be more specialized and also inventory more Porsche wheels. Currently we warehouse over 3,000 Porsche wheels so the majority of what we have available is in-stock.

Once again thank you for your input, we respect your words of advise.

"Hello LugNut, yes this is Mrs. Sweetspot calling from Mr. Nanner's Law Offices...yes fine, thank you. No, the rash has not gone away, but thank you for asking...ahhh no, licking it will not help."
"Sir...Mr. Nanner asked that I let JB and you know, that he's heard back from the folks at Grills-and-Hamics...what's that? Oh yea, right.. I mean Wheel Dynamics who relayed that they've been in business 2000 years and have 15 wheels in stock...and that they are dedicated to 3000 other auto manufacturers to produce the best Porsches possible."
"Mr. Nanner also commented that Wheel Dynamics' Company Spokesman is 100% ligit...yep, the "Gold-Standard." Mr. Nanner, said for the Chimps, you and JB to chill and he'd see ya'll at the club-house in the morning for a nine o'clock tee-time.."
"What's that? Well...no LugNut, I don't have any pictures of nude female Huskies that I can text you. I'm a Christian Lady Sir...oh ok, that's fine... WHAT?!?!? No, I'm not telling you what color thong I'm wearing!!!! Good-Day, Sir"...click!
HOLY CRAP LUGNUT!?!?!?!?!? Easy Boy!!!!

Wheel Dynamics good luck...and look forward to learning much more. Thank you...
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

"Hello LugNut, yes this is Mrs. Sweetspot calling from Mr. Nanner's Law Offices...yes fine, thank you. No, the rash has not gone away, but thank you for asking...ahhh no, licking it will not help."
"Sir...Mr. Nanner asked that I let JB and you know, that he's heard back from the folks at Grills-and-Hamics...what's that? Oh yea, right.. I mean Wheel Dynamics who relayed that they've been in business 2000 years and have 15 wheels in stock...and that they are dedicated to 3000 other auto manufacturers to produce the best Porsches possible."
"Mr. Nanner also commented that Wheel Dynamics' Company Spokesman is 100% ligit...yep, the "Gold-Standard." Mr. Nanner, said for the Chimps, you and JB to chill and he'd see ya'll at the club-house in the morning for a nine o'clock tee-time.."
"What's that? Well...no LugNut, I don't have any pictures of nude female Huskies that I can text you. I'm a Christian Lady Sir...oh ok, that's fine... WHAT?!?!? No, I'm not telling you what color thong I'm wearing!!!! Good-Day, Sir"...click!
HOLY CRAP LUGNUT!?!?!?!?!? Easy Boy!!!!

Wheel Dynamics good luck...and look forward to learning much more. Thank you...
You're too much... I think we are up to 16-wheels in-stock..
Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Somewhere between $700-$1000 per wheel is about right for a lightweight forged wheel. Any less than that and I'd be suspicious as to how they got the price point so low...any more and you're probably just paying for the name brand (which, admittedly, is important sometimes).
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vendors should consider making a track specific wheel...

Worry less about looks, and more about hardiness and price...

There is a untapped market for a less expensive, heavy duty, track wheel for 911 cars, and newer...

Some nice heavy duty spokes, less machining time, and lower price...
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
You're too much... I think we are up to 16-wheels in-stock..

"Sounds like we're going to get along juussst fine... My deepest apologies, but we need to attend to our guest. Hope you can understand mate..."

"However, before I go it would be quite lovely to know what a $1K vs. $1.5K vs. $2K wheel general appearance would be? Admittedly, I have no experience or knowledge with forged wheel manufacturing costs. However, my assumptions are that the more detailed the wheel's design that there's a proportional increase in man/machine hours, influencing costs. I believe it's a good practice to level-set and mange expectations, I'm assuming I get that from my Harvard Graduate Education "87".

"Any thoughts you'd like to share on helping us to level-set?"

Cheers,
"Gonzo"
Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699

There is a untapped market for a less expensive, heavy duty, track wheel for 911 cars, and newer...

Sorry, the way a wheel looks absolutely matters and is a major component of the purchasing decision. After having owned a couple of sets of Fikse FM-10s for over a decade, I just bought a new set of BBS LMs and love the way it looks on the 993. The wrong wheels on a car can ruin it for most owners.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If the forging is successfully used to make them light then I think you could have a good price point around $1200-$1300. Right now you go with Super Forgiatas or FI-Rs, you could try to undercut that at a point where you have nearly the same weight.

Focusing on light wheels also cuts down on the design variants that customers expect. For really lightweight wheels the expectation will be thin looking spokes either straight or Y. Nobody will ask for visible screws, other 3 part cues, or meshes and whatnot.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bpu699

Good feedback, this is not the first time we have heard this however I guess we have never tested the market to investigate the possibilities of making such a wheel, but as I stated, GREAT FEEDBACK. We may consider doing something like this if we had enough interest (maybe we can post a new thread asking once we get on board to build an OE spec wheel 18x8 & 18x11 for track-use.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by vbb
Somewhere between $700-$1000 per wheel is about right for a lightweight forged wheel. Any less than that and I'd be suspicious as to how they got the price point so low...any more and you're probably just paying for the name brand (which, admittedly, is important sometimes).
Thank you for your input!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

"Sounds like we're going to get along juussst fine... My deepest apologies, but we need to attend to our guest. Hope you can understand mate..."

"However, before I go it would be quite lovely to know what a $1K vs. $1.5K vs. $2K wheel general appearance would be? Admittedly, I have no experience or knowledge with forged wheel manufacturing costs. However, my assumptions are that the more detailed the wheel's design that there's a proportional increase in man/machine hours, influencing costs. I believe it's a good practice to level-set and mange expectations, I'm assuming I get that from my Harvard Graduate Education "87".

"Any thoughts you'd like to share on helping us to level-set?"

Cheers,
"Gonzo"
Well, just doing some investigative work at this moment, we have two companies that we have currently been working with each over 10-yeras, we never openly promoted forged wheels, however we wanted to do something new this year hence the break into the Forged wheel market pricing on this post.

One of our suppliers is an over-seas supplier so the blanks are brought in and custom cut here, while the others are built here in the USA. The obvious is going to be the price difference (USA built being of a better quality thus more expensive).

We are also considering offering both options out.

Keep you posted sir, we are still debating ourselves, but we also are working to try and get a solid warranty as well...

Quick Reply: FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY