997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic leather boot

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016 | 04:39 PM
shadow993
Drifting

A few have asked for a full pic of the console...
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2016 | 04:02 AM
AreaOne
Advanced

Thanks
Old 05-09-2022 | 07:29 AM
2fic_c4s
5th Gear

Originally Posted by vbb
You're right... that's the first rule of the internet. Pics or it didn't happen!
Here's the finished product:

As you can see, it's a little less taught than yours, which does reduce the maneuverability of the shifter a little bit, but it goes in the gear and still looks better than the J-gate of the standard shifter, and if I want to revert it back to stock, I can do that in about 2 minutes. I like it though. Too bad I couldn't find cocoa brown to match my interior, but the black is ok.

The following users liked this post:
OutlawCayenne (02-05-2024)
Old 12-23-2022 | 05:43 PM
mgmarsh39
Racer

Here is mine. Working on trying to retrofit a PDK ****, so that I can use the new GT3/4 shifter that looks really cool.

Fitting the manual shift boot is fairly simple, you just need the following;
  • 997 Manual shift boot with the plastic bracket
    • I lucked out and found my matching leather boot and bracket on ebay fairly cheap. Just keep your eyes open
      • P/N 997.424.075.01 XXX (the three x's would be your color. In my case that is FPW for Terracotta)
  • 997 manual shift console trim

Last edited by mgmarsh39; 12-23-2022 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added some context
The following 2 users liked this post by mgmarsh39:
harlanmott3 (12-27-2022), mfm3 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 06:27 PM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
Here is mine. Working on trying to retrofit a PDK ****, so that I can use the new GT3/4 shifter that looks really cool.

Let us know if you're able to rertrofit a pdk shift ****. It'll be a gamechanger for all tiptronic owners.
The following users liked this post:
mgmarsh39 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 06:37 PM
mgmarsh39
Racer

Originally Posted by TV997S2
Let us know if you're able to rertrofit a pdk shift ****. It'll be a gamechanger for all tiptronic owners.
I don't have much hope honestly, but found a cheap pdk ****, and tiptronic shifter assembly. Going to do some bench testing and see if there is anyway to make it work. My ultimate goal is to get something like the new GT3 shift **** on there. I've reached out to several companies like Black Forrest Industries who do shift ***** for Audi/VW and they are just not interested in the tip .
Old 01-11-2023 | 12:47 PM
996TurboStg3
Intermediate

Those look great guys 👌👌👌. Anyone seen one in Alcantara, specifically a lighter color one? My interior is Stone Grey.
Old 04-28-2023 | 03:01 AM
TV997S2
Rennlist Member

my attempt at changing the shift boot, not perfect but looks better than the plastic J gate.
Old 08-26-2023 | 11:59 AM
Fkropf73
AutoX

Does the tiptronic lever operate smoothly with this setup?
Old 08-26-2023 | 01:35 PM
rsalicrup
Racer

Here is mine. Working on trying to retrofit a PDK ****, so that I can use the new GT3/4 shifter that looks really cool
Been trying to see how to make this work also. From what have seen for Tiptronic, to change the selector into gear, it pushes down the actual selector. DSG (I think I saw PDK does this as well) you push a button but it seem that is acting as a lever to pull up on the actual selector.

There’s a video on here how it works on Audi.
https://blackforestindustries.com/co...-audi-auto-dsg

then I see this so I’m not sure
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...n-pdk-gt4.html

if it works under the same principle, it just a matter of how to secure the ****.

Last edited by rsalicrup; 08-26-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2023 | 07:18 PM
mgmarsh39
Racer

Originally Posted by Fkropf73
Does the tiptronic lever operate smoothly with this setup?
Yes, no hinderance.
Originally Posted by rsalicrup
Been trying to see how to make this work also. From what have seen for Tiptronic, to change the selector into gear, it pushes down the actual selector. DSG (I think I saw PDK does this as well) you push a button but it seem that is acting as a lever to pull up on the actual selector.

There’s a video on here how it works on Audi.
https://blackforestindustries.com/co...-audi-auto-dsg

then I see this so I’m not sure
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...n-pdk-gt4.html

if it works under the same principle, it just a matter of how to secure the ****.
I purchased a used PDK shift assembly and took it apart to see how everything works. What I discovered is both assemblies utilize a button type mechanism that depresses to move the gear selector. That part is similar (not identical), but there is no way to retrofit the PDK selector arm into the Tip that I've found.

That said, the PDK shift arm is thicker than the Tip, so you could theoretically make a type of sleeve that would go over the Tip arm and mimic the grooves so that the PDK **** would slide on and lock. You'd have to drill a hole through the Tip arm to pin it so there would be no movement.

I've yet to find a 997 shifter assembly cheap to start trying to hack this up. I'm not going to use mine (for obvious reasons) to test so as soon as I find one I'll revert.
Old 08-28-2023 | 08:13 PM
rsalicrup
Racer

Yes, no hinderance.

I purchased a used PDK shift assembly and took it apart to see how everything works. What I discovered is both assemblies utilize a button type mechanism that depresses to move the gear selector. That part is similar (not identical), but there is no way to retrofit the PDK selector arm into the Tip that I've found.

That said, the PDK shift arm is thicker than the Tip, so you could theoretically make a type of sleeve that would go over the Tip arm and mimic the grooves so that the PDK **** would slide on and lock. You'd have to drill a hole through the Tip arm to pin it so there would be no movement.

I've yet to find a 997 shifter assembly cheap to start trying to hack this up. I'm not going to use mine (for obvious reasons) to test so as soon as I find one I'll revert.
Thanks for your input. I can think of a few ways to make the shifter stay in place. Can’t drill a hole through it because it might impede the movement of the mechanism. Thinking grinding a flat spot(s) on the arm for some set screws or locking tab on a 3D printer plastic sleeve. Just don’t have access to a 3D printer.
Old 08-30-2023 | 04:50 PM
mgmarsh39
Racer

Thanks for your input. I can think of a few ways to make the shifter stay in place. Can’t drill a hole through it because it might impede the movement of the mechanism. Thinking grinding a flat spot(s) on the arm for some set screws or locking tab on a 3D printer plastic sleeve. Just don’t have access to a 3D printer.
Good point. Here is a picture of the PDK shift lever out of the mechanism for reference. Note the machined slots cut in the metal part, then the widened plastic collar at the bottom which is where the shift **** locks in place.

Old 08-30-2023 | 07:36 PM
rsalicrup
Racer

Good point. Here is a picture of the PDK shift lever out of the mechanism for reference. Note the machined slots cut in the metal part, then the widened plastic collar at the bottom which is where the shift **** locks in place.

Does that PDK shifter arm has a part number on it? This might be easier than I thought. Cut the plastic sleeve part out of the PDK shifter and remove it. Might need a bit of heat. Marked with red.

Make a sleeve out of plastic from a 3D printer. Use the sleeve to fit between the Tip arm and the PDK plastic sleeve. The sleeve can have a stopper/thicker section at the bottom to set the height of the **** so the **** can be set to the where it needs to be. Lock the sleeve in place with set screws.
Old 09-03-2023 | 05:03 PM
mgmarsh39
Racer

Does that PDK shifter arm has a part number on it? This might be easier than I thought. Cut the plastic sleeve part out of the PDK shifter and remove it. Might need a bit of heat. Marked with red.

Make a sleeve out of plastic from a 3D printer. Use the sleeve to fit between the Tip arm and the PDK plastic sleeve. The sleeve can have a stopper/thicker section at the bottom to set the height of the **** so the **** can be set to the where it needs to be. Lock the sleeve in place with set screws.
No part# that I can find for the lever itself, I think they sell the entire assembly as a whole. There are a bunch of junk assemblies on ebay from Panameras. I think I paid $40 bucks for the whole thing. Even came with the ****.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic leather boot