Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if i was porsche i would be embarrassed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:36 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLT951
"Porsche should be embarrassed".
After 46 Porsches over 43 years I feel compelled to report my Skoda has no carbon fibre, no IMS bearing, no cam chain, no timing belt, no water pump, no radiator, no frim fram and no doodle whopper, issues. Tuneups are at 200,000 intervals and cost $100. All repairs are in multiples of $60 whereas all my Porsche repairs are in multiples of $600.
My Suzuki Samarai is even better than the Skoda. The Skoda takes me all the same places the Porsches do and the Samarai takes me to places the Porsches can't dream of. Not at the same speed mind you but interestingly the Samarai gets more thumbs up and the Skoda more questions than most of the Porsches.
And yes, IMS, cam chains and timing belts, ad infinitum, should be embarrassing to Porsche.
Where is Ferdinand Piech (the top automotive genius of all time) when quality control and subcontract components are reviewed?
Hooked on Porsche but often wonder why.
I see your point. In fact, there are many comparisons to draw from with respect to low and high maintenance. For example this lovely young lady I'm sure would be low maintenance like your Skoda:

While I'm assuming the below young lady would be high maintenance like a Porsche....

We all make choices, and it sounds like you're very comfortable and have a preference for the low maintenance option...no shame in that. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize for what is certainly going to be a redundant comment, but Porsche OEM Carbon Fiber trim is the worst **** on the planet.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:54 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe if you have a full leather interior, which includes a leather dash, it would be in your best interest to soak it once a year in leather treatment. It will dry up and shrink. My '84( Dark brown leather) shrunk so badly it curled up. My 997(stone gray) looks great so far, but I treat it once a year with some good stuff.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HeyBelk
Point well taken and kind of expands the discussion because your comparison reminds of some true experiences in the past.
Some are known as "things aren't quite as they appear" and "who'd a thunk" and possible "don't wish for….".
My 77 930 would not climb the hill at Snowmass at the 78 Aspen Porsche Parade. My Samarai will not only do Snowmass but it literally flies (grin) up the hill at Pike's Peak.
The first lady in your example very much resembles my Skoda but she (the lady) has a little less hair and a few more dents. The second resembles any one of a number of my Porsches. Looks don't always tell the story. Skoda largest repair ever $135. 70 914-6 and 75 Carrera cam chain failure. 99 986 "THE" bearing, 968 timing belt, various cars water pump water pump water pump water pump. So, yes the use is better in 2 than in 1 but far more risky and expensive.
On the other hand, I once dated a Raiderette, by most men's standards a clear 14. However, the horn rimmed librarian at Oakland Main, possibly a 4, outperformed Raiderette 14 to 4.
As memories go R crosses my mind from time to mind as a "what cudda bin". When I think of Lib its in the "Holy _____ category.
Porsche, the consistency best car maker on earth should be ashamed of chain tensioners, cam chains, timing belts, water pumps, IMS bearings, leather dashboards, most dashboards, your list, and yes, carbon fibre interior parts.
Belk, also fascinated with your avatar. Some details please.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:27 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
I don't think my CF looks cheap. I have it on the doors and the E brake and shift ****. It looks tasteful against a black interior and it's just accents. If I ordered a car new I would not consider it. Not based on looks but based on durability. And of course it's just a marketing tool. I know people with BMW's and Merc's that have lots of CF in their interiors. Their's have never failed. AS we all agree here Porsche failed miserably with their CF. As with the Hydraulics for the rear spoiler. $3500 for parts to repair the wing is pure rape. I love my car but I curse Porsche frequently as well.
i honestly don't know or care if CF looks cheap. All i know is a company with the legendary status as Porsche can use anything on a 6 digit car that peels as often and fail that quickly is a joke...
Old 11-12-2016, 02:32 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HeyBelk
Point well taken and kind of expands the discussion because your comparison reminds of some true experiences in the past.
Some are known as "things aren't quite as they appear" and "who'd a thunk" and possible "don't wish for….".
My 77 930 would not climb the hill at Snowmass at the 78 Aspen Porsche Parade. My Samarai will not only do Snowmass but it literally flies (grin) up the hill at Pike's Peak.
The first lady in your example very much resembles my Skoda but she (the lady) has a little less hair and a few more dents. The second resembles any one of a number of my Porsches. Looks don't always tell the story. Skoda largest repair ever $135. 70 914-6 and 75 Carrera cam chain failure. 99 986 "THE" bearing, 968 timing belt, various cars water pump water pump water pump water pump. So, yes the use is better in 2 than in 1 but far more risky and expensive.
On the other hand, I once dated a Raiderette, by most men's standards a clear 14. However, the horn rimmed librarian at Oakland Main, possibly a 4, outperformed Raiderette 14 to 4.
As memories go R crosses my mind from time to mind as a "what cudda bin". When I think of Lib its in the "Holy _____ category.
Porsche, the consistency best car maker on earth should be ashamed of chain tensioners, cam chains, timing belts, water pumps, IMS bearings, leather dashboards, most dashboards, your list, and yes, carbon fibre interior parts.
Belk, also fascinated with your avatar. Some details please.
To be transparent, I'm 57 and with the kids now out of college...in the past year, I've been able to own my first two Porsches, an 09 TT w/6 Speed and a 12 TTS w/PDK. Thankfuly, neither had CF and I've not had any mechanical problems...fingers crossed. I did sell the 09 which was a personal choice...as I found my preference was with the 12 TTS w/PDK; love this beast. Also, the 12 TTS was CPO'd when I purchased it from Tysons Porsche, VA.
I hate to hear of people having problems with their Porsches, but comming from a late model Stingray Corvette, I could not be more pleased with my 12 TTS. The quality, fit and finish is like nothing I've owned before. Again, my experience with Porsches is very limited, but I get it...Porsche owners expect, deserve and should receive better.
Ahhhhhhh, you must be referring to "LugNut" my buddy...he's been known to post on RL every now and then... He's also been known to party with the wrong K9s, as revealed by the drawn on eyebrows... Don't let that grin fool you, LugNut is more of a Skoda fan... "Sturdy, with Endurance and very Hairy" is his style...LoL. JB
Old 11-12-2016, 03:58 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More on Lugnut. Is He Siberian?
Should we start a thread which is a message to Porsche? Or, would we even be allowed to.
What should Porsche have done differently then and now?
1.) Cite the flaw or problem.
2.) Explain your experience with it and how much it cost you.
3.) Tell what Porsche shudda wudda cudda done about it.
I have a ton of them.
A.) Early 944 motor mounts. Rumor is, I was the first in the country to have the problem. Mine failed one side only. 6 trips to dealer and one to independent disclosed nothing so nothing was done. When it was figured out nary a year later Porsche should have done a recall and done the repair under warranty for at least 2 years. Are you kidding? Faulty motor mounts? And the same problem exists even today on the 968. For shame!
B.) My next story would be the only from Porsche replacement tire on the 08 Boxster and other cars. Not available anywhere except from Porsche as it was an uncommon size. It was very expensive, hard to find, not in stock and weeks of wait. Sometimes cars stranded in bad places while waiting. If a thread gets started it will be my next story.

Don't want to start it myself unless there is interest and it is not outside the rules. My theory is maybe Porsche will hear?

C. How about reverse gear and 1st gear on the 968 6 speed?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should we start a thread which is a message to Porsche? Or, would we even be allowed to.

Don't want to start it myself unless there is interest and it is not outside the rules. My theory is maybe Porsche will hear?
Porsche will always hear. But we will pretty much never know how often they also listen.

Personally, I would continue to take Porsche's weird quality problems on the chin if they'd just stop continually reducing the driver's control of the car with each new model. For me, the worst thing about my Cayenne for instance is that it doesn't have a proper handbrake that can be used on the go. And the worst thing for me about the 996T is the ABS system that can sometimes mistakenly go into its pre-programmed ice mode, dropping maximum permitted braking power down to only about 20% for half a second or more, often just when its driver most needs normal full braking power to be available. That and that the PSM can't easily be fully switched off.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:28 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a point of reference, the CF and in fact the Wood Trim, on the 996 is crap too. Both crack and delam within 1 year of installation.

So, what this says, Porsche learned nothing and/or did nothing to improve the materials used between the models.

Quick Reply: if i was porsche i would be embarrassed...