Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compromising on purchasing a used car... where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:25 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Compromising on purchasing a used car... where do you draw the line?

I'm just looking for those of you that have purchased your 997TT used to share stories/experiences on what compromises you made when purchasing your car, if any. I'm about to pull the trigger on something and it has me more in a reflective mood than usual.

As you all know, when buying a used car, it is extremely rare that you find a car with the exact spec that you would have built yourself. If money truly were no object, you would have gone to the dealership, checked all the boxes you desired on the order sheet, and then did either a European delivery, or delivery at a Porsche Experience Center and then made a long roadtrip home in your brand new ride. Well, maybe that's just my dream, but I think you understand what I'm saying. When you buy a used car, and are being cost-conscious, you make some compromises.

So for you, what are some of the things you were initially looking for, and how did what you ultimately purchased differ from what was on your "list" going in to your search? Convertible vs. Coupe? Tip vs. 6 speed manual? Color? Number of previous owners? Amount of mileage? Option list?

I am currently looking at a car that popped up right in the range of what I was looking to spend, with the exact color combo I was looking for, my preference of coupe instead of convertible, and the history that I wanted (I wanted a driver, not a garage queen, so I was looking for something with a long maintenance history with the major services and "bugs" addressed and in the 60K mile range, both for price reasons and for peace of mind). The issue? It's a Tip, not a 6MT. Now, I prefer 6MT, but I'm not a purist. I currently drive a 997.2 C2 with PDK, and the car before this was a Lexus ISF, which is a traditional torque converter auto. PDK is closer to 6MT than torque converter for sure, but it still isn't the same as rowing gears. But when I really stopped to think about it, 6MT isn't essential for me. Preferred, sure, but not a deal-breaker. So I'm thinking of compromising, because it checks all the other boxes I wanted. I've been looking for about 3 months now, which I understand isn't an extremely long time, but I also know that I'd rather compromise on transmission style rather than price or maintenance history, and finding the right color combo is great too. I feel like better "deals" can be had on the Tiptronics, because less people want them.

So what about you guys? What were you initially looking for, and what did you end up with? Looking forward to posting my "check out my new car" post on this forum sometime in the near future!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pass, get a manual you won't regret it!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:40 PM
PABers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
but I also know that I'd rather compromise on transmission style rather than price or maintenance history, and finding the right color combo is great too. I feel like better "deals" can be had on the Tiptronics, because less people want them.
There is your answer; personally I would opt for a PDK or manual, but if price is your driving factor then Tip is your choice.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I ordered my Tip new when I had no alternative, facing both hips to be replaced.

I was double clutching and hell/toeing a half century ago, so I had my fun.

Unless you have a medical reason, or maybe you can only drive your TT in slow rush hour traffic, I would not buy a Tip to save money.

If less people want a Tip, ask yourself why, and what reason you have to be like them.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

My initial list of "must have" items included:

- Sport Chrono
- PCCB
- 6MT
- Adaptive Sport Seats
- Thicker, sport steering wheel
- Strongly preferred a color other than black, silver or gray

Nice to have items:

- Deviated stitching
- Deviated carpets
- Two-tone leather interiors
- Short shifter
- Factory red tail lights

My potential compromises included:

- Cabriolet. I was shopping for a coupe initially. I found a cabriolet with everything that I wanted and took a chance on it. I am now very happy that I bought a cabriolet.
- I wanted as much extra leather on the interior as possible, but this was not a deal breaker
- Mileage. I don't have an issue with a car that has higher mileage if the price is right.
- "Minor" cosmetic damage that resulted in something like a bumper respray. I'm okay with it if the repair is done properly and the price reflects the issue.

"No go" items:

- Wood interior package or carbon fiber interior package
- Unusual interior colors like Lipstick Red Leather
- Aftermarket modifications. I wanted a stock vehicle right from the start.
- More than 2 owners
- Absence of any documentation, repair history, etc.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:13 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by PABers
There is your answer; personally I would opt for a PDK or manual, but if price is your driving factor then Tip is your choice.
It's not THE deciding factor, but it certainly is A deciding factor. This is a 4th car for us, and there are only two drivers (me and my wife). Our kids are not even close to being driving age. So given that, I have to set a budget, and I've done that. So yeah, I suppose price/budget is an important factor, and I'm okay with that.
Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I ordered my Tip new when I had no alternative, facing both hips to be replaced.

I was double clutching and hell/toeing a half century ago, so I had my fun.

Unless you have a medical reason, or maybe you can only drive your TT in slow rush hour traffic, I would not buy a Tip to save money.

If less people want a Tip, ask yourself why, and what reason you have to be like them.
Good point, and I have asked myself that. I don't have the answer, and don't know what everybody else is thinking, but my opinion on the matter is that there is a very big stigma against automatic sports cars. There always has been, and I assume there always will be. There are a lot of people that turn up their nose at any automatic sports car and anyone who who buys one. That said, I have owned some form of automatic sports car for the last two cars I've had and honestly I can't say that I have missed out on something that I must have. Manual cars are definitely more engaging to drive at the limits, but it isn't all positive either. All things being equal, yes I would prefer the 6MT over the tip. But all things are not equal.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

If this is your weekend car, I would pass and wait for a manual.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

I am currently in the market for a GT3 or a 997tt. Really the TT is more of a compromise but if I get one my lists are below.

My must haves are:
Coupe
Blue exterior
Adaptive sport seats
Manual Trans
Under 25k miles
Locking rear dif

Nice to haves:
PCCB's
Aerokit
Extra leather bits

Items I won't compromise on:
Black exterior
Tan interiors
Tips
Cabs
Higher than 35k miles
Comfort seats
A lot of aftermarket parts
Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
If this is your weekend car, I would pass and wait for a manual.
Goodness... that bad huh? I knew the general consensus was that the Tip was not as good as the 6MT. I agree, having driven both transmissions. The Tip is a solid 3rd behind the manual and PDK. That said, I didn't find it to be horrid. Maybe I've been softened by years of driving automatics or something, but I am a little surprised how disliked the Tip apparently is.

Going back to the original question in this thread, suffice it to say Tip over 6MT is not a compromise anyone that has replied thus far would make...
Old 08-01-2016, 10:07 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

M/T or Tip should be instant yea or nea. Buying used and close budget decide, either you want the perfect look or you want the right drivetrain. There is less than perfect like the color and options then there is wrong like the engine or transmission. I have been heavily TTT browsing myself, Im a fully grown man and can handle the chicktronic remarks ...because turbo

Last edited by 996SPECticle; 08-01-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
"No go" items:

- Wood interior package or carbon fiber interior package
- Unusual interior colors like Lipstick Red Leather
- Aftermarket modifications. I wanted a stock vehicle right from the start.
- More than 2 owners
- Absence of any documentation, repair history, etc.
+1. While I may be okay with an engine tune/light mods, I feel the others are spot on. Also, 6MT or PDK.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

I say drive this Tip, or any other 997 Turbo Tip for an hour and really think about it. Is it "you"? If not, DO NOT COMPROMISE!!!!

Just sayin'.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Non negotiables; adaptives, LSD, 6mt.......
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Figure out what you really really must have and make sure your car has that as otherwise you will regret it everytime you think about it (which might drive you into ignoring the car you just bought or selling it quickly at a slight loss in the hopes of finding another one better suiting your wants).

As you state some compromises will likely have to be made as you're buying a car somebody else spec'd, just determine what compromises you are willing to accept and stick to that.

When I was looking to buy I had to have a 6 spd, LSD/PTV, sport chrono, non-offensive colors and would not have bought any vehicle that did not meet those requirements.

Last edited by Dodaleca; 08-02-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM
vbb
Pro

I'm clearly in the (vast) minority here, but 6MT I guess just wasn't one of those "must haves" for me. I have driven a Porsche Tip (though not on a TT) and I've driven a 6MT on a 997TT. I am not trying to argue that the Tip is better, because I don't believe that... but the fact that it isn't a deal breaker for me I guess is a little odd for a self-professed car guy. If I purchase the car, I can tell I'll have to weather a lot of "but it's an AUTOMATIC!" comments throughout my ownership. I am much more opposed to a convertible than I am to a tip. Again, personal preference.

Lots of good comments here though. Kind of interesting to find out what other people consider mandatory.

Quick Reply: Compromising on purchasing a used car... where do you draw the line?