Sponsored by:

Bad news after oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Macster, you forgot one detail. He is getting a DME crank position error. There is too much slack in the chain and the ECU is throwing codes.. What is worse, if the rail is delaminating plastic it is packing the oil pump screen and is scoring the vaned suction pump gear set. More important is the chance of plugging up the oil filter which will put the engine oil circuit into bypass. This will then push plastic debris into the tiny piston squirter (plug them) and plug the hydraulic intake lifters and foul the vario cam module vanes.

The best thing would be to remove the waterpump console and remove the variocam covers to inspect the 4 rails, check the condition of the timing chains and sprockets. Best is a term to hedge your bets and risk.. Best is a cautious opinion.
Well, that's not what I get from his report. Of course, it would help to know the error code.

But my reference, granted for a 996 Turbo, but I think it applicable -- well, given the gravity of the situation probably not but the OP's going to have to rely upon his tech not me anyhow -- gives only one crankshaft position error code: P1579.

P1579

111 Crankshaft Position Sensor Signal Implausible Diagnosis conditions
• Engine running Possible fault cause
♦ Corrosion in the connector
♦ Loose contact

Now if he were getting P1324 (Position of camshaft in relation to crankshaft, Bank 2) or P1340 (Position of camshaft in relation to crankshaft, Bank 1) or possibly even P1341 (Camshaft adjustment, Bank 1) or P1342 (Camshaft adjustment Bank 1, output stage) or P1343 (Camshaft adjustment, Bank 2, output stage), would have me more in agreement with you.

Just so it is clear, I'm not in total disagreement, mind you.

My goal is to provide the OP with some hopefully input of value to add to what he knows/what he learns from others here and from his tech so he ends up with a clearer idea of what's probably going on and can make a more informed decision.

And last but not least, it is because of the gravity of the situation, what's at stake, that I advised him that he was going to have to rely upon his trusted tech for his counsel and advice. Not me.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:14 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line here is that confidence in the motor has been eroded. It's just a matter of can you and/or are you willing to locate the funds to do a total repair. Chain,sprockets guard etc.....there are also " while you're in there" repairs such as clutch, brakes etc.. If possible.

NMB to tell people what to do ....but if you can afford and will keep the car I say go for it.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Took the car into the shop today and had the DME read and oil filter checked. Camshaft deviations were within normal limits. Bank one 2.85. Bank Two 2.53. So apparently the chain did not slip. Inspected the oil filter. There was one smaller piece of debris and 3 or 4 tiny specs in the filter pleats. I read the revs. I have 5 range four, 1 range 5 and 1 range 6. The 5 and 6 revs were done early in the cars life. Well before I owned it. Still working on a plan to replace the rail or rails.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2016, 06:02 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be silly here

How about trading in the car? Move onto something less neglected
Old 08-01-2016, 06:06 PM
phillipj
Drifting

less neglected? I have had the car for five years and have never "neglected" anything.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

The information gives you a better idea and gives you a little breathing room. The DME overRev reading of 1's at 5 and 6 most likely are a glitch..

If you must drive the car before bore scoping the rails (or fixing), please check your oil filter in two weeks for material.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:43 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Okay thank you. I appreciate it
Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Those over revs are a non factor as Kevin stated, certainly not abuse or neglect.
I'd just fix the rails and change the oil and filter a few extra times as mentioned.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Thank you Sir!

Quick Reply: Bad news after oil change.