Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to trade up from a 997.2 to a 997.1...thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I had 997.1C2S, test driven my friend 997.1GT3 for a day, then test drive a 997.1TT, there are no comparison between NA and turbo, my turbo always put a grin on my face. While 997.1GT3 exhaust note is intoxicating and linear acceleration but it was tiring on the ears and the the legs (I think I am getting old). Turbo make everything perfect, perfect noise level, perfectly comfortable, and OMG the boost.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Is this a trick question?

I have owned N.A. 911 and two turbos. The pros of the turbo overwhelms the cons of not having a N.A. Most drivers talk about hp. Torque is the enjoyment maker when touching the gas pedal. You dont have to beat the turbo for performance. Exhaust note is a loss with the turbo. The turbo cannot sing. Upgrade the exhaust and it will scream but it will not sing. For track, obviously GT3.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Well, I'll chime in here at someone who went from NA to Turbo and back again to NA. There are a lot of things I miss in the turbo - the excellent fit and finish, the power, the overall look of the car but I have to remind my self why I moved back to NA. The Turbo, IMO, is a larger, powerful GT car but I wanted a lighter, more responsive sports car. After playing with the turbo and some, wait for it, 'foot to the kitchen' time, I tired of the straight line rush of power and longed for a more responsive engine. I found that in the Gen-1 Spyder. It's an incredible sports car and so much fun to drive on the twisties. It's very light so the HP to weight ratio is not that far off from the Turbo. But it's not a great daily driver. With the top up the cabin is cramped, it fogs up in bad weather etc... I've compensated for this by purchasing other cars BUT this can get tiring as well. So I've been lately snooping around TT cabs again, thinking of thinning the herd and getting back into driving one daily. Time will tell if I make the move back but in the meantime it's fun to look. Thanks for your understanding guys!

IMO, the Turbo is an EXCELLENT, one car, daily driver, seats four, all weather, all in one package. It has short comings E.g. the turbo lag, the absence of engine note, the under steer of it's handling etc... It's not that it does any one thing 100% but it does most everything you want 90%. So with all that, there is nothing that comes close. For the OP, a fun option would be to move into a TT and pick up a S2000 or Boxster for the weekend, top down, romps. Or you could move up into a .2 GTS. That's a fine car and comes in an AWD variant as well.

To the OP, good luck on your hunt. This is half the fun.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the continued replies. I did finally test drive a TT (2008 6sp manual cab), and the acceleration is otherworldly. I did notice that the sound is not fantastic, but I'm sure an aftermarket exhaust could fix that. I was not blown away by the handling, at least when compared to my current C2 (not to say my car was better, I just wasn't Blown Away) then again, it's not like I was really thrashing it about. There is no question the TT is a much better car. How much of a premium is it worth over my current car? That is a tough question to answer. I am certainly willing to pay significantly more for a better car, but the prices that they offered me for a trade of my car were woefully low, and I did not feel that it was worth me coming out of pocket as much as they were requiring me to do so. While I understand that many of you do use these cars as your daily, it would not be used as that for me. Knowing that this is a car that's going to see 4,000 or 5,000 miles a year makes it harder for me to pull the trigger. I even briefly considered making it a daily, but I use a fully loaded full size truck which is better sorted for that and my family, so I'm not giving that up.

Don't get me wrong, the short list is essentially still a 997.1 turbo or a 997.2 GTS. Depending on how long this search takes me, and how long it is until I'm ready to pull the trigger, maybe 997.2 turbo will creep into my range. I have decided that I would not be opposed to 997.2 in pdk rather than manual if it came down to it. You guys weren't lying about the rush of acceleration though! LOL!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:15 AM
marsirover
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently looking for a turbo 997.2 with PDK for a busy friend of mine, we both like yellow TT.
I myself was in the market for either a turbo 997.1 or 997.2 NA a year ago. I would consider a 997.2 TT but it's outside of my price range. I test drove 2 tip 997.1 TTs, but was not so impressed with them. Mainly b/c of lack of the dominant exhaust sound that I was looking for and the lag that you guys have mentioned. Also the tip did not help with my final cut either. So, I have since happily purchased a 997.2 NA 4S with low mile. Definitely like the sound of NA. Also, I do agree with OP regarding if one can justify the extra $$ up pay and not using it much. Unless one has more reserve $ to play with.

In the future, once the price of the 997.2 TT with low miles with PDK goes below 70K, I might consider a trade up. Definitely like the wide hip and spoiler. Possibly find my favorite yellow TT.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by marsirover; 07-24-2016 at 04:17 AM. Reason: mis spelled
Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by marsirover

...In the future, once the price of the 997.2 TT with low miles with PDK goes below 70K, I might consider a trade up. Definitely like the wide hip and spoiler. Possibly find my favorite yellow TT.

Happy hunting.
Good luck on your hunt! These cars are holding their value VERY well, and in some cases actually rising.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:24 AM
jcpca356
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did exactly this. No regrets. You'll love it. I can write a book about it but this sums it up.

Quick Reply: Looking to trade up from a 997.2 to a 997.1...thoughts