UMW Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts
Default UMW Tune

I recently took my car in for CA smog.
Using the tool Kevin sells I loaded the stock map instead of the map he created that is optimized for 91 Octane CA fuel.

Butt dyno detected obvious lack of TQ with stock Porsche map.
UMW map brings on power @ lower rpm, which puts you ahead of the power curve - literally.

Those of you that live in CA or any other places with dodgy fuel would be well-served to consider his option.

More power and better engine protection technique (more fuel and other magic instead of Porsche technique of spark retard).

Re-loading the optimized map takes less than 3 minutes.

There is one downside......................
fuel consumption goes up a tad

Craig
Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious, why didnt you try to pass with UMW tune in place? I thought that it might have been OK...even in Cali, thoughts?
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

The issue occur when you have a "aftermarket exhaust" fitted.

It just makes sense to reflash back to stock, to minimize any issues.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:51 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. My UMW tuned 996TT with stock exhaust passed emissions with flying colours. My 997TT has aftermarket exhaust + UMW tune in now and inspection/smog is coming up. Fortunately flashing back to stock with the UMW module is quick and super easy.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:45 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 93 tune with am exhaust no issues with smog in CA. Recently had it done via obd no sniff test. Why go to stock map?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
I have 93 tune with am exhaust no issues with smog in CA. Recently had it done via obd no sniff test. Why go to stock map?
Maybe I'm getting to be a bit paranoid in my old age, but I took mine off as a precaution. Nashville uses the same tests as CA (unbelievably) now.

Do any of you think long term that the government will be watching for modified ECU's?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:25 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

Depends on the smog station and tech.

When I sold my 997 turbo last year I passed smog with a full cat-less exhaust..............
Although I didn't have a tune, I had 90 degree O2 extenders on the down pipes and the smog tech just plugged into the OBDII port and it didn't throw any codes.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With the obd2 port check, if 5/6 readiness codes are 'ready' you will pass in most states. Often with o2 extensions the sec o2 isn't 'ready'. I believe these readiness codes can be programmed with tuning, i always had fvd program as such and always passed. i think it can easily be programmed retroactively, Kevin would know for sure.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:59 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
With the obd2 port check, if 5/6 readiness codes are 'ready' you will pass in most states. Often with o2 extensions the sec o2 isn't 'ready'. I believe these readiness codes can be programmed with tuning, i always had fvd program as such and always passed. i think it can easily be programmed retroactively, Kevin would know for sure.
Not answering for Kevin, but when my car wouldn't pass the readiness for o2's, he didn't want to code around it. We worked to figure out what the problem was and fixed it that way (lazy widebands in my case).

While it woulda been easier to code my car to pass, it actually it was good to fix the widebands, as it improved my gas mileage and made the car run much more smoothly.

Despite my begging for a shortcut, he made me do it the right way (damn him lol).
Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

When my customers have purchased "used" exhaust systems. The cats can produce the failed inspection, it is always the cat inefficiency tripping (leaded gas killing the cats, broken cells or too small of cats for the engine HP output). California and similar adopted states are looking for modified ECU coding. With the VAG diesel issue, the OBD2 test has risen to a new level.

With that said, my tunes will allow for all of my customer car to pass, provided that there are no sensor failures (lazy O2's) or intake leaks and EGR leaks. With my programming module one can make the decision to flash back to stock or not. If you don't pass, will usually be with a failing cat or intake leak. O2 extenders can be added, and pressure testing will flush out the leaks.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks again Kevin! Another successful smog test here in Texas with FVD Brombacher Exhaust (200 Cats) and your tuning.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice
My cars due for inspection. Not even sure they check O2 anymore, but im going to leave UMW tune in place and see what happens.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

For me the challenge a couple of years back was just getting all the readiness monitors in the green state.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:50 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did the prolonged drive cycle, pia but eventually all codes ready.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:00 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I recently took my car in for CA smog.
Using the tool Kevin sells I loaded the stock map instead of the map he created that is optimized for 91 Octane CA fuel.

Butt dyno detected obvious lack of TQ with stock Porsche map.
UMW map brings on power @ lower rpm, which puts you ahead of the power curve - literally.

Those of you that live in CA or any other places with dodgy fuel would be well-served to consider his option.

More power and better engine protection technique (more fuel and other magic instead of Porsche technique of spark retard).

Re-loading the optimized map takes less than 3 minutes.

There is one downside......................
fuel consumption goes up a tad

Craig
As a Florida boy I can so not relate...I would put a bullet in my head if I had to live under the stifling nanny state. Just curious about your fuel options though, does Cali not allow E85 fuel? Fyi, here in Florida we have 93 and E85 (though in limited locations) and have no vehicle inspections whatsoever and though there are State regulations saying you have to run cats and decibel restrictions, in reality I have never been checked by any Law enforcement that has ever stopped me. Perhaps a full race V8 with open headers would get some attention but anything short of that is ignored. I ran my BMW S1000RR with full open Inconel headers and no cat and she sounded like a NASCAR at idle and an F1 car up around 14,000 rpm and I was stopped by the Police more than once for being too frisky and the exhaust wasn't even looked at and my P car is decatted with Inconel Kline racing exhaust. On the down side we do have those pesky hurricanes.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 12-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: UMW Tune