Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts

There are two failure modes as Kevin has stated. The actual intake cam sleeve that's press fit inside the cam can spin as much as it wants. Worst case scenario is that it cuts off the oil supply to the VVT intake cam actuator. It can actually spin enough that the holes once again line up. There have been reports of people getting the codes, and continuing to drive until they go away and the car feels normal again. Of course the sleeve can continue to spin and intermittently block the oil feed holes. Not recommended to do this. Again, this sleeve is inside the hollow camshaft.

The second failure is the actual cam gear sprocket/VVT mechanism CAN spin relative to the camshaft itself. The reason is the cam gear is not degreed or keyed on the end of the camshaft. It is simply held in place with a tiny "friction disc" between the cam gear and the camshaft snout itself along with the compressive pressure of the cam gear bolt. As in my case, I had failure #1 first. The cams were pinned and replaced. Immediately, failure #2 occurred twice. We had to replace the cam gear itself, the bolt, friction disc, etc to correct the second issue. The failure #2 is much more dangerous because it does control the angle of the cam relative to the pistons and you can have top end damage if it slips enough. Mine only slipped enough to lead to bad misfiring at low rpm and idle (about 45 deg, best we could tell both times.)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:29 AM
The Defector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81
There are two failure modes as Kevin has stated. The actual intake cam sleeve that's press fit inside the cam can spin as much as it wants. Worst case scenario is that it cuts off the oil supply to the VVT intake cam actuator. It can actually spin enough that the holes once again line up. There have been reports of people getting the codes, and continuing to drive until they go away and the car feels normal again. Of course the sleeve can continue to spin and intermittently block the oil feed holes. Not recommended to do this. Again, this sleeve is inside the hollow camshaft.

The second failure is the actual cam gear sprocket/VVT mechanism CAN spin relative to the camshaft itself. The reason is the cam gear is not degreed or keyed on the end of the camshaft. It is simply held in place with a tiny "friction disc" between the cam gear and the camshaft snout itself along with the compressive pressure of the cam gear bolt. As in my case, I had failure #1 first. The cams were pinned and replaced. Immediately, failure #2 occurred twice. We had to replace the cam gear itself, the bolt, friction disc, etc to correct the second issue. The failure #2 is much more dangerous because it does control the angle of the cam relative to the pistons and you can have top end damage if it slips enough. Mine only slipped enough to lead to bad misfiring at low rpm and idle (about 45 deg, best we could tell both times.)
e

Holy S*%#!!!!!!! I know it's not common but man I'm gonna be a little paranoid now! But in reality nothing I can do so life goes on I guess.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this is why i need to find an aftermarket warranty just to cover the camshaft issue. I had a scare last year, don't want it to be the real thing.

Btw anyone have a DIY for Drain your gearbox fluid, front diff, and fuel filter?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 328 Likes on 222 Posts

A418t81, I think your failure after the pinning happened because your tech reused the stretch bolt and friction disk. They are suppose to be tossed in the bin on tear down.

Cam slippage with this platform is rare.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:34 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
A418t81, I think your failure after the pinning happened because your tech reused the stretch bolt and friction disk. They are suppose to be tossed in the bin on tear down.

I know when the dealer replaced my cam, the tech was very clear about not re-using those parts (bolt & disc) and had ordered new ones for reassembly..
Old 04-06-2016, 12:56 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Those parts were replaced both times. He was a master mechanic at a large Porsche dealership for a while and said he's seen this happen one other time.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
this is why i need to find an aftermarket warranty just to cover the camshaft issue. I had a scare last year, don't want it to be the real thing.

Btw anyone have a DIY for Drain your gearbox fluid, front diff, and fuel filter?
i've done all of that. i can write you a diy if you like.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 328 Likes on 222 Posts

He had a bad day then.. He got oil on the surfaces, it happens.. Porsche has used this system since the 993. You have to really be careful with oil getting on the mating surface. Every engine would be at risk leaving the factory if this method and components (shims and bolts)didn't work correctly. I have never had one loosen up.. I use acetone to prep the parts.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
i've done all of that. i can write you a diy if you like.
hey man appreciated!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:56 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

He had a bad day then.. He got oil on the surfaces, it happens.. Porsche has used this system since the 993. You have to really be careful with oil getting on the mating surface. Every engine would be at risk leaving the factory if this method and components (shims and bolts)didn't work correctly. I have never had one loosen up.. I use acetone to prep the parts.
Lol, he specifically mentioned these very things when venting his frustration. He's repaired 6 or 7 cars with spun cams and builds the Porsche engines for a prominent GTR shop that does Porsche stuff on the side. Regardless it's taken care of now.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by A418t81
Lol, he specifically mentioned these very things when venting his frustration. He's repaired 6 or 7 cars with spun cams and builds the Porsche engines for a prominent GTR shop that does Porsche stuff on the side. Regardless it's taken care of now.
each of these run $8.5K?

side topic...I see you're from Birmingham AL, ever been to BYOB restaurant? It's run by the guitarist of one of my fav bands Cool cafe.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:20 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

each of these run $8.5K?

side topic...I see you're from Birmingham AL, ever been to BYOB restaurant? It's run by the guitarist of one of my fav bands Cool cafe.
When mine went out (can't remember which side, but think it was driver's), Kevin suggested to me to have the other one checked while the engine was out. Sure enough, it was half rotated too. Not enough to cause the CEL, but enough to not be right.

Fidelity paid to fix both sides, but I took on the risk the other side not needing it. Since I planned to pin both intake cams regardless, I didn't hesitate. I think the cam's themselves are $1700.00 each if you replace them.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:49 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

each of these run $8.5K?

No, I haven't been there. I'll have to look into it.

The total was actually around 6k to begin with but by the time he pulled the motor two more times, and I had to replace the cam gear itself at 600 bucks, it ended up around 8k. Both cams were fixed but only the passenger side bank 2 which was the side that spun needed the new cam gear.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

All of this talk make me not even want to drive the car. Its starting to sound like a real POS
Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
All of this talk make me not even want to drive the car. Its starting to sound like a real POS

Haha.

Quick Reply: camshaft question