Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil reading - which is accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil reading - which is accurate?

Sorry if this topic has been covered before - I apparently can't put the right search together to find it. I purchased a 2008 TT last Thursday. Service records show that it had an oil change in December 2015. Checked the oil level Saturday morning after letting engine idle and reading showed slightly less than half way between indicator lines. Added approx. 3/4 of a quart of oil in increments until reading showed at top bar. Drove the car later and then checked gauge - showed one bar over indicator line. Next morning, again let car idle until engine warmed - reading showed right at top line. Drove it later and checked level - again showed one bar over indicator. Which reading is correct and should I worry that about overfill?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Look at the far left oil temp gauge. The oil expands even greater when you put miles on the engine and get it up to a higher temp. Is it overfilled "yes" but the engine will burn the oil in 300 to 500 miles. With "Bad" overfills (yours isn't bad) the oil gets sucked into the intake system.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:56 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin - thanks for that response! I guess the definition of "bad overfill" is what I really needed to ease my mind!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Dan997t
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overfilled?

The bolt in question is at the very bottom right of this pic.

I just stumbled across this thread researching an oil leak that occurred 10 miles after a fresh oil change. I found fresh oil on the gathering floor. Got it on the lift and it appears to be from a bolt that holds the timing change. It has an o ring and a crush washer. I checked the oil today and it looks likes it’s over filled. Is this reading normal? Thanks in advance. -Dan
Old 12-10-2017, 12:43 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Dan your oil level is higher than it should. The real question or concern is>>how much overfilled? Did the shop just drain the oil in the engine case and not drain the main oil tank reservoir??? If so you could have 6 quart plus overfilled??!?!!?!?

Call your shop and ask them which oil drain plugs did the undo? one or two? If it was my car, I'd remove the engine oil drain plug and remove all the oil in it. 1.5 to 3 quarts will come out. If you don't get this handled, you risk knocking out the engine rear main seal and pumping oil past your turbocharger sealing rings

Top picture is of a air cooled 3.6 engine. The aluminum crush washers are not your issue.. Good luck
Old 12-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Dan997t
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Dan your oil level is higher than it should. The real question or concern is>>how much overfilled? Did the shop just drain the oil in the engine case and not drain the main oil tank reservoir??? If so you could have 6 quart plus overfilled??!?!!?!?

Call your shop and ask them which oil drain plugs did the undo? one or two? If it was my car, I'd remove the engine oil drain plug and remove all the oil in it. 1.5 to 3 quarts will come out. If you don't get this handled, you risk knocking out the engine rear main seal and pumping oil past your turbocharger sealing rings

Top picture is of a air cooled 3.6 engine. The aluminum crush washers are not your issue.. Good luck

Thanks for the replay! This is how much extra oil I had. Little less than a quart...
Old 12-15-2017, 11:54 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe each bar on the indicator is 1/4 of a quart. For street driving I don't worry if I run 1 bar below fill level (i.e., two bars down from the top of the gauge display), but on the track you definitely don't want to run under.

Also, just as a note, if you way overfill the oil you could get hydrolock, which basically blows the engine. That's why most fill the oil to the top level (i.e., the top most bar shows empty) and in that way you are guaranteed not to be overfilled.

Quick Reply: Oil reading - which is accurate?