Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires - 2007 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016 | 11:41 AM
mariusz201
Advanced

Default Need new tires - 2007 997

Hello - is it risky to get non-OEM tires for my car? Would a Porsche dealer put on non-OEM tires? I do not race my car and am looking to get the Bridgestone Potenza 04-pole position tires since they are on sale on tirerack. The only two OEM tires on tirerack are Bridgestone and Michelin and they would cost almost double the non-OEM Bridgestone pole position tires. Thank you.
Old 03-14-2016 | 01:30 PM
fresh-popcorn
Advanced

I run the Bridgestone 04 PP and they are excellent tires.
Drove them in the constant rain we had yesterday and they performed much better than I thought.

I wouldn't see why a dealer wouldn't install them but guess every dealer service is different. My dealer let me install a 2.5 clutch without hesitation.
Old 03-14-2016 | 03:53 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - they're fantastic if you enjoy spirited driving and track work. Recommended.
Old 03-14-2016 | 04:30 PM
Norgeiron
Rennlist Member

Default Go for the Bridgestone S-04's

The S04's are fine tires, and they are available. Michelin Pilot Sports are on back order for six months or more.
Old 03-14-2016 | 07:06 PM
Southpaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - they're fantastic if you enjoy spirited driving and track work. Recommended.
How many miles do you get out of these? I won't be tracking my turbo but have always wondered how many miles thee would last under normal street use.
Old 03-14-2016 | 08:46 PM
512bb
Drifting

If there is rain or standing water where you are at and you drive in that weather, be careful with Cup 2 tires as there is very little to no thread on them. Also, CUp 2 tires cannot even be rolled in temperatures of 20F or below as they will crack. However, as a dry weather tire they do not have an equal short of full racing slicks. Depending on how you drive and track events, they should last you 5-10K miles if you take care of them.

If you drive on the street, cold weather and rain, get the Pilot Super Sports (PSS) - they are incredible tires and the performance is up there in the dry and wet - I would say better than any of their competitors in that category. For PSS tires I suggest you go with the N spec as these tires are dual compound and the N spec has a different compound pattern than the non N spec tires. These tires have a hard compound on the inside for longevity and a soft compound on the outside for cornering. If memory serves me right, the N spec tires have a larger area on the outside with the soft compound, hence more cornering g forces.

They are a little pricier for a reason, but so far I have about 13K miles and at least 10 full days of track days on my PSS and they still look and feel brand new. The tread loss has been minimal. I love those tires, but will be going to Cup 2's next as the turbo is a fun car as opposed to a daily driver.
Old 03-15-2016 | 10:38 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

I see on Tire Rack this morning that Michelin Pilot Super Sport, my go to tire the last 60K or so miles, has the rears still on back order.

Hoping they become available again before I wear out the stop gap Pirellis. Or I have to go back to PS2 for more $$$.
Old 03-15-2016 | 10:45 AM
mm1
Pro

Originally Posted by 512bb
If you drive on the street, cold weather and rain, get the Pilot Super Sports (PSS) - they are incredible tires and the performance is up there in the dry and wet - I would say better than any of their competitors in that category. For PSS tires I suggest you go with the N spec as these tires are dual compound and the N spec has a different compound pattern than the non N spec tires. These tires have a hard compound on the inside for longevity and a soft compound on the outside for cornering. If memory serves me right, the N spec tires have a larger area on the outside with the soft compound, hence more cornering g forces.
+1 and tons of threads on this. I had Cup2s on the GT4 and grip was amazing (could have been the car too...) but I've had Pilot Super Sports on 2 997s and have been very happy. The extra grip of the Cup2s is for sure there but at a huge discount for rain and any mild weather. Not to mention you can't move them or store in the cold, that's annoying.
Old 03-15-2016 | 11:41 AM
eviligloo
Pro

I have pole positions on my car. They're ok but my last tires were the toyo r888's which are phenomenal and incredibly fun (and also wear out really really fast). The best thing about the pole positions is that they're cheaper than other alternatives.

I just ordered a new set of S04 rear tires (which wore out after 5k miles because I had a GT3 cup alignment on the car which i had to dial back) but after the front and back set wears out I think I'm going to go with MPSS. That was my first choice but they were back ordered for almost the entire year.
Old 03-15-2016 | 12:54 PM
TRFALK
AutoX

I recently put RE-11's on mine and am very pleased. Outstanding grip and they are much quieter than the RE-050's that they replaced. I have not yet driven in wet conditions with them, so I cannot speak to their performance in the rain. I would certainly recommend the RE-11's.
Old 03-16-2016 | 07:41 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
According to this month's "Evo" The Super Sport is to be replaced by the new Pilot Sport 4 which apparently started shipping this year.

17" and 18" MPSS is stopping this year, and there are apparently sizes 35-45 profile, 20t to 275 widths Y rated.

article goes on to claim that much of the technology introduced in the Super
Sport has been adapted for the MPS4.

no details about 911 19" or 20" fitments ...

Interesting article that was posted on one of the other Rennlist forums. I gave up on waiting for the MPSS 305s to restart production...and ordered a set of four new S-04's from TireRack and having them installed in a few days.
Old 03-17-2016 | 12:08 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

I've had two sets of the S4 pole positions and those tires are great. I've driven them through rain and snow year-round in Ohio weather and have never had a problem. I run them on the track and I have never had an issue with grip. I get about eight to ten thousand miles per set and they are half the price of just about any other tire.
Old 03-17-2016 | 01:13 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Re11s are great tires.
Old 03-17-2016 | 01:37 AM
turbofever
Banned

I wish someone would tell me how much tread life the cup 2 had against the super sport

I am finding that my super sports are getting too greasy at the track

I really want the cup 2's but don't want a tire that wears out in a few thousand miles
Old 03-17-2016 | 02:49 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbofever
I wish someone would tell me how much tread life the cup 2 had against the super sport

I am finding that my super sports are getting too greasy at the track

I really want the cup 2's but don't want a tire that wears out in a few thousand miles
Go with nitto nt-01

Quick Reply: Need new tires - 2007 997