Sponsored by:

recirculation valve question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 PM
The Defector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default recirculation valve question

So this has been discussed ad nauseam weather or not to switch the stock plastic recirculating valves on a stock car with the billet ones or not. (general consensus is no BTW).

Someone said it "deepened" their exhaust sound.....

I cannot understand how this would be possible. Maybe someone smarter than I can explain how it would do this. After reading about it, it seems it would have nothing to do with the "sound".

I only present this question because I'm changing plugs and coils and have been staring at these damn valves for a while now.

JC
Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Defector
So this has been discussed ad nauseam weather or not to switch the stock plastic recirculating valves on a stock car with the billet ones or not. (general consensus is no BTW).

Someone said it "deepened" their exhaust sound.....

I cannot understand how this would be possible. Maybe someone smarter than I can explain how it would do this. After reading about it, it seems it would have nothing to do with the "sound".

I only present this question because I'm changing plugs and coils and have been staring at these damn valves for a while now.

JC
Most of these AM Diverter/Recirculating Valves end up seizing and the OEM's work fine. Agree, that these do not change the exhaust sound. What I have noticed is you may hear a little different sound when the valves open...more of the Turbo spool...but not a deeper exhaust sound. They are not even part of the exhaust, so don't see that as very feasible?

Hope that helps/confirms your thoughts...

DC
Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

The factory valves work good.. Similar units in the 997GT2 >> tuned will reach pressure levels over 1.5 bars..

If you have a valve the seizes>>you risk turbine shaft breakage/sheering.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM
The Defector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another myth dispelled!
Thanks!
JC

Quick Reply: recirculation valve question