Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Function First vs Numeric Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016 | 08:14 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Default Function First vs Numeric Opinions wanted

Did some searching and nothing specific popped up. So for those who've looked at both, and obviously assuming both solutions offer an improvement over stock, what are the pros and cons of the Function First shifter solution vs the Numeric Racing shifter solution? Other than price obviously. Does one have advantages over the other, or does one feel better shifting than the other? Does one last longer or wear out sooner or later than the other? Reason being, I really don't like the notchy feeling going into 1st and 2nd.

Thx
Mikey
Old 02-03-2016 | 09:52 PM
MadScience
Racer

I actually really like my factory short shift.

I've started to wonder if there's something that broke on the cars where folks feel like they need to go to something beyond stock.

That said, the Numeric shifter is a beautiful piece, if I installed one, I'd have a hard time putting a boot over it.
Old 02-03-2016 | 11:34 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

I have a Numeric shifter with a Function First ****, IMO a perfect setup. All of the factory shifters (and *****) are plastic whereas the Numeric eliminates any flexy, creaky aspects. The combo on my car truly epitomizes the rifle bolt cliche.

I kept the stock cables as that is not a very DIY-friendly procedure and I've heard lots of stories of excessive noise of the unpleasant variety vs a minor functional improvement.

I could see that replacing the factory plastic bushings/bearings with metal would help with the fluidity of operation and with durability, but the Numeric is on a different level being an entire upgraded replacement unit.
Old 02-04-2016 | 08:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I have the function first parts, and I'm pleased with it, but have no experience with numeric.

The numeric will likely be a step more direct and solid, but there is also a pretty serious price increase.

If you generally are ok with how the car shifts, the function first upgrade might be the way to go.
Old 02-04-2016 | 10:07 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I have the factory SSK and I really like it. Doesn't the GT3 shifter use metal bushings?

The shifter from Numeric looks awfully nice....
Old 02-04-2016 | 02:23 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Yes, the GT3 shifter does have metal bushings. I have it in my car and like it -- less sloppy than the stock shifter. The throw is shorter than stock but not quite as short as the stock ssk.
Old 02-04-2016 | 04:45 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Would be great with an input from someone who has tried both the factory ssk+function first and Numeric!
Old 02-07-2016 | 04:02 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

any shifter that has a plastic housing is going to be inferior to an all billet aluminum frame amd heim joint bushings and roller bearings on the shifter shaft.

the numeric is much higher priced because tis a far superior shifter to anything on the market with the exception of a cae or sequential which is again a huge increase over any other setup. its just that simple
Old 02-07-2016 | 04:30 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
any shifter that has a plastic housing is going to be inferior to an all billet aluminum frame amd heim joint bushings and roller bearings on the shifter shaft.

the numeric is much higher priced because tis a far superior shifter to anything on the market with the exception of a cae or sequential which is again a huge increase over any other setup. its just that simple
Sounds very reasonable. It would just be interesting to get a measure on the difference, which would of course be subjective.

Just found that cargraphics has an adjustable ball bearing shifter VERY similar to numeric. Looks almost identical. Tempting since that would mean no import tax or shipping cost for me
Old 02-07-2016 | 04:48 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Sounds very reasonable. It would just be interesting to get a measure on the difference, which would of course be subjective.

Just found that cargraphics has an adjustable ball bearing shifter VERY similar to numeric. Looks almost identical. Tempting since that would mean no import tax or shipping cost for me
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery! if you cant make a better product then copy it!
Old 02-07-2016 | 06:13 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I ended up finding a nice used Numeric on eBay that I snagged for a great price. I sent it to Numeric for a thorough going over to replace any worn parts before installing. $35 to replace all 6 ball bearings and it's good as new. Great folks to deal with btw.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 02-09-2016 | 01:50 AM
MadScience
Racer

Originally Posted by quick968
I sent it to Numeric for a thorough going over to replace any worn parts before installing. $35 to replace all 6 ball bearings and it's good as new.
I have a hard time picturing much wear on ball bearings in a shifter. OTOH you're chasing the absolute best feel here, and $35 is at most noise in this game, so I'd almost certainly have done the same. Still, I bet the old bearings were fine.
Old 02-09-2016 | 02:09 AM
MadScience
Racer

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
It would just be interesting to get a measure on the difference, which would of course be subjective.
If anyone has a numeric on the SF peninsula, I'd be happy to offer an OEM ssk as a comparison.

I'm very curious about how much nicer the numeric might be. I do get a lot of joy out of how nicely my car shifts. Certainly more joy than I get out of exactly how fast it is.

Some searching brought up another approach:
Old 02-09-2016 | 02:26 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MadScience
I have a hard time picturing much wear on ball bearings in a shifter. OTOH you're chasing the absolute best feel here, and $35 is at most noise in this game, so I'd almost certainly have done the same. Still, I bet the old bearings were fine.
Actually yes, they were in need of replacement. There was significant axial play in the front bearing on the main shaft for side to side pivot. You could take feel distinct clunking on the shaft when grabbing the gear lever and lifting straight up and down. Also at the clevis pivot section where the actuating shaft rides in the slotted section of the clevis as the gear lever is moved side to side, noticeable play here as well. So while the billet frame and other parts themselves showed zero wear, this shifter had apparently been ridden pretty hard for quite a while. All pivot points now have zero perceptible play. Numeric simply replaced ALL the bearings for a flat $35. Chump change really. I wasn't the original purchaser, which I was up front about, so the lifetime warranty didn't apply here. No worries, I'm still into the whole setup for barely $400, which is a lot less than the $700 a new one costs. Again, Numeric were great folks to work with, they turned it around same day.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 02-09-2016 | 02:51 AM
MadScience
Racer

Originally Posted by quick968
Actually yes, they were in need of replacement. There was significant axial play in the front bearing on the main shaft for side to side pivot. You could take feel distinct clunking on the shaft when grabbing the gear lever and lifting straight up and down. Also at the clevis pivot section where the actuating shaft rides in the slotted section of the clevis as the gear lever is moved side to side, noticeable play here as well.
Interesting. Upon a bit more thought, needle/ball bearings don't really solve the problem for something that moves a fraction of a turn. Though they are easily swapped items, so that still speaks in favor of the numeric solution.

Quick Reply: Function First vs Numeric Opinions wanted