997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to Engine Cutout, ? Did I Hit Range 4-6

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015 | 11:53 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Most likely not. Range 2-3 max. I bounce mine off the limiter every time I drive but also aware of my shifting up the gears
Old 09-28-2015 | 09:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strato58
So then how does Dennis C have a stage 4 without a missed shift? He would know if he missed a shift or not and he has stage 4's since he purchased the car?
I wish is knew the answer to that question! My car has never seen track time and it is not tuned. I take it easy most of the time, although I have hit the limiter accelerating in 1st gear before. The number of stage 4 over revs was very low, but I've wondered if the momentum of the flywheel can carry you briefly into the stage 4 range, even after the limiter is activated. It doesn't sound like this is the case based on the posts here, yet my DME shows the over revs. Could this be related to my altitude? I have no idea. My car is usually driven between 7,000 and 9,000 feet of elevation, if that matters. I don't worry about it.
Old 09-29-2015 | 08:07 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I wish is knew the answer to that question! My car has never seen track time and it is not tuned. I take it easy most of the time, although I have hit the limiter accelerating in 1st gear before. The number of stage 4 over revs was very low, but I've wondered if the momentum of the flywheel can carry you briefly into the stage 4 range, even after the limiter is activated. It doesn't sound like this is the case based on the posts here, yet my DME shows the over revs. Could this be related to my altitude? I have no idea. My car is usually driven between 7,000 and 9,000 feet of elevation, if that matters. I don't worry about it.
Were your DME results from a PIWIS reading or Durametric? I've found some reporting anomalies with Durametric readings.
Old 09-29-2015 | 09:43 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

There isn't much power above 6500rpm with stock cams. Why are some of you constantly hitting the limiter? That is some sloppy technique.

OP- get a DME readout. How anyone owns one of these cars and not have Durametric is beyond me.
Old 09-29-2015 | 10:18 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Were your DME results from a PIWIS reading or Durametric? I've found some reporting anomalies with Durametric readings.
I just hit the limiter hard once. I'm not sure if my mechanic used Durametric or PIWIS. Maybe that's the difference.
Old 09-29-2015 | 01:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is how internet "lore" gets started. 6 months down the road, people will be saying that it's possible to get Type 4 overRevs while backing out of the garage with the pedal mashed to the floor.

I think that for the future, one needs to only accept screenshots of the PIWIS...

The statistical proof is not verified that hitting the REV limiter will equal Type 4 events..

Yes, Type 1 and Type 2's can be registered. And if on wet pavement a few Type 3's... (slim case)..
Old 09-29-2015 | 02:12 PM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
There isn't much power above 6500rpm with stock cams. Why are some of you constantly hitting the limiter? That is some sloppy technique.

OP- get a DME readout. How anyone owns one of these cars and not have Durametric is beyond me.
lol.. So the take away is that you're dumb if you hit the rev limiter or if you own a 977tt and don't have a durametric.. Thanks for that. Let us know when you come down from your throne.

To the OP, like others have said, you're fine. Stock tune, you'll hit 1 and 2 when you bounce off the limiter. I've done it a few times (it's really hard not to when flooring it in 1st) and I've checked my DME to make sure. Don't worry about it.
Old 09-29-2015 | 03:31 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drivingon9
lol.. So the take away is that you're dumb if you hit the rev limiter or if you own a 977tt and don't have a durametric.. Thanks for that. Let us know when you come down from your throne.
I don't see how you equate sloppy with dumb. In addition, just because I don't see how one can own a Turbo and not have Durametric (yet worry about things like CELs and over revs), doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Durametric is not expensive, not compared to an engine that needs a rebuild, but for some people, ignorance is bliss.
Old 09-29-2015 | 03:43 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin
This is how internet "lore" gets started. 6 months down the road, people will be saying that it's possible to get Type 4 overRevs while backing out of the garage with the pedal mashed to the floor.

I think that for the future, one needs to only accept screenshots of the PIWIS...

The statistical proof is not verified that hitting the REV limiter will equal Type 4 events..

Yes, Type 1 and Type 2's can be registered. And if on wet pavement a few Type 3's... (slim case)..
Over rev counter in the DME is a weird thing. I have seen a few DME readouts with readings in Type 4+ but nothing below that, or clock hour recordings that don't match up, say higher Type recording with later hours than lower Type. It's just a computer, susceptible to IR interference, glitches, etc. I've seen cars with no over revs and bent rods, cars with tons of over revs and running fine.

The more complicated the machine, the more anomalies that can occur.
Old 09-29-2015 | 04:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That's silly.

I was just reporting my experience. This is an information sharing board, where people share their experiences and try to help one another. By reporting my experience, I thought I could add to the collective wisdom of the board.

I never claimed that I have verified proof that hitting the rev limiter will equal a stage 4 over rev. I only reported on my experience. Perhaps I was a bit overzealous in reporting my experience. Responses to my report have claimed that it's not possible to register a stage 4 over rev by hitting the rev limiter. Maybe that's true, but is there verified proof of this? We don't want to lead people to believe that it's okay to slam into the rev limiter with a guarantee of no adverse consequences, do we? Is there documented proof that on wet pavement there's a slim chance of getting a stage 3 over rev?

Whatever the reason, I have some stage 4 over revs and I haven't missed a shift or had any other issues

I don't think it makes sense to speak in absolutes, whether you agree with a post or not.

We shouldn't degenerate to the point where posting something requires documented, verified proof that it is 100% accurate. My car was leaking coolant recently. Do I need to post a photo and documented tests that verify that it's coolant? I think not. The best approach is to refrain from panic, and to respectfully disagree with somebody if you don't agree with their post.

Internet lore is not created by people posting their experiences. Internet lore is created by irrational responses to those posts.
Old 09-29-2015 | 04:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Type 4 overRevs will not happen.. Proof isn't there.. I tune these cars.. I see hundreds of datalogs.. I have taken my personal car to the drag strip datalogging the OverRevs and have NEVER pegged a Stage 4 nor have my customers or Rennlisters that have sent me logs (tuned by other tuners).. The Statistic just don't prove otherwise. If the ECU is tuned all bets are off.

I have talked to Regional Porsche technical reps.. Discussing warranties and engine failures. Such as camshaft sleeve failures.. The "opinions" are that Type 4 and Higher OverRevs happen during a miss shift and mechanically forcing the crankshaft past the intended RPM. Regardless, IF your engine has recorded Type 4's.. The rotating assy has been over 7400 RPM's from the stock setting of 6750..
Old 09-29-2015 | 04:32 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Type 4 overRevs will not happen.. Proof isn't there.. I tune these cars.. I see hundreds of datalogs.. I have taken my personal car to the drag strip datalogging the OverRevs and have NEVER pegged a Stage 4 nor have my customers or Rennlisters that have sent me logs (tuned by other tuners).. The Statistic just don't prove otherwise. If the ECU is tuned all bets are off.

I have talked to Regional Porsche technical reps.. Discussing warranties and engine failures. Such as camshaft sleeve failures.. The "opinions" are that Type 4 and Higher OverRevs happen during a miss shift and mechanically forcing the crankshaft past the intended RPM. Regardless, IF your engine has recorded Type 4's.. The rotating assy has been over 7400 RPM's from the stock setting of 6750..
I think there have been a couple of strange duck DMEs here on RL. I recall some strange readings on the 997 GT2/GT3 forum. Some of the track guys get high Type 4 readouts with strong motors, some get clean sheet DME readouts with broken motors.

Revs are just one part of the equation, who knows what abuse some drivers put on their cars.
Old 09-29-2015 | 04:48 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I am not doubting your knowledge at all Kevin. I'm sure that your personal experience with your car with tuning these cars is invaluable.

You say that the rotating assy has been over 7,400 RPMs from the stock setting of 6,750 if your car has recorded type 4s. If this is true and my car has recorded type 4 over revs, then I have exceeded 7,400 RPMs. My car isn't tracked, and it isn't tuned. It's a weekend cruiser. I've hit the rev limiter once, and I've never missed a downshift or had any mechanically induced over rev. Using logic once again, we are left with the following possibilities:

1. My car actually exceeded 7,400 RPMs at some point, and the most likely point would be when I hit the rev limiter.
2. There's some kind of anomaly in my DME; it shows type 4 over revs and they didn't actually occur.
3. There's some doubt as to the accuracy of the DME reading. The wrong equipment was used for the DME reading and/or the results were interpreted incorrectly.

I'm willing to accept any of these possibilities. I truly don't know what caused the over rev reading. Again, I'm just reporting my results.

I appreciate your comments thus far.
Old 09-29-2015 | 04:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I will post my logs, with timestamps.. I have recorded my ECU OverRevs when I bought my car, when I have taken my car to the drag strip, and when I have bumped up
(tuned) my Rev Limiter (7000 RPM's).. I have purposely tested the factory fuel cut and have recorded the RPM logs..

Folks that report higher than Type 3's most likely have a tuned ECU, tracked the cars, and/or have had a mechanically induced forced overRev..

EDIT: I posted this prior to post 28
Old 09-29-2015 | 04:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'll have my Porsche dealer read my DME and verify what my mechanic told me.

I believe you, I don't need to see your logs!

Quick Reply: Went to Engine Cutout, ? Did I Hit Range 4-6