Sponsored by:

A Bold Endeavour : advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015 | 07:05 AM
Jake_s
AutoX

Default A Bold Endeavour : advice appreciated

Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum. I currently live on the east coast, and tomorrow will be flying to the west coast to pick up a low-mileage 2009 turbo manual. I'll then have four days to get my butt home. (That's 4800 km).
Should I expect any issues? I favoured the 997.1s because they're robust (and more affordable) by reputation, but having been stranded by many supposedly robust cars in the past, I'd like to go prepared.
Thanks very much for any advice.
Jake
Old 09-10-2015 | 08:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I did the same with a then 13 year old 993tt and it was fine.

I would have have a reputable shop look it over and hop in and enjoy.

I picked up my 997 in Indiana and drove nearly 700 miles home. Didn't skip a beat

Last edited by Quadcammer; 09-10-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2015 | 08:24 AM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by Jake_s
I'll then have four days to get my butt home. (That's 4800 km).
3k miles in 4 days ..... Thats a hump and IMHO a waste of a good drive ...

You should make it 10 days and enjoy the drive home ...

I purchased my 2009 in Houston and drove back to Miami ...

We made several stops and took local roads to break up the drive ...
Old 09-10-2015 | 09:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by triplenet

I do agree with that also. My drive wasn't very exciting, despite some fun stops (grand canyon, vegas) and visiting friends (dallas and nashville). If I could have cut each driving day in half, I'm sure it would have been more fun.
Old 09-10-2015 | 10:48 AM
Jake_s
AutoX

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I do agree with that also. My drive wasn't very exciting, despite some fun stops (grand canyon, vegas) and visiting friends (dallas and nashville). If I could have cut each driving day in half, I'm sure it would have been more fun.
I'd love to take more time, but sadly, duty calls, and I can't get away for longer.
Old 09-10-2015 | 10:52 AM
triplenet
Pro

I'd love to take more time, but sadly, duty calls, and I can't get away for longer.
ship it home then.... 1k miles a day is brutal ....
Old 09-10-2015 | 11:04 AM
Jake_s
AutoX

ship it home then.... 1k miles a day is brutal ....
They gave me an atrocious price for shipping and I'd still have to fly to Montreal to get it. I guess I figured what the heck - it'll be an adventure. I've done the drive once before, in a Volkswagen phaeton. This might not be as comfortable but it beats being at work. I guess I'm just worried these cars weren't engineered for that kind of high-mileage driving. I'm planning on going pretty easy on the car, but wondering if I'm asking for a coolant leak or clutch problem, or whatnot. My only other Porsche was a 1983 944 with a family of mice living in the driver door. I wasn't entirely convinced the car would get from my house to my work without bursting into flames. So, hey, either way it's an upgrade.
Old 09-10-2015 | 11:08 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

They gave me an atrocious price for shipping and I'd still have to fly to Montreal to get it. I guess I figured what the heck - it'll be an adventure. I've done the drive once before, in a Volkswagen phaeton. This might not be as comfortable but it beats being at work. I guess I'm just worried these cars weren't engineered for that kind of high-mileage driving. I'm planning on going pretty easy on the car, but wondering if I'm asking for a coolant leak or clutch problem, or whatnot. My only other Porsche was a 1983 944 with a family of mice living in the driver door. I wasn't entirely convinced the car would get from my house to my work without bursting into flames. So, hey, either way it's an upgrade.
It's not a Ferrari, put it in gear and point it home, it won't disappoint you
Old 09-10-2015 | 11:13 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

I did 2600 in 4 days. see signature

It was fun and an adventure. Wish I had more time but just dropped big change on the car and didn't feel like dropping more on a vacation LoL also my buddy had to be back for personal reasons.

I'd recommend OP sign up for AAA platinum with 100 miles of free towing. Other than that, not too much to worry. Buy cleaning products for the drive back. Car will get very dirty. Also watch out for trucks. Cost me a windshield.
Old 09-10-2015 | 11:19 AM
Jake_s
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
I did 2600 in 4 days. see signature

It was fun and an adventure. Wish I had more time but just dropped big change on the car and didn't feel like dropping more on a vacation LoL also my buddy had to be back for personal reasons.

I'd recommend OP sign up for AAA platinum with 100 miles of free towing. Other than that, not too much to worry. Buy cleaning products for the drive back. Car will get very dirty. Also watch out for trucks. Cost me a windshield.
Good call. They actually had to replace the windshield before selling it. Any recommended cleaning products? this one is basalt black. I usually avoid black cars because of swirl marks etc - but a black 911 was always on my lust-list for some reason.
Old 09-10-2015 | 11:43 AM
Derek978
Advanced

Grab a tire plug kit just in case.

You will not have a spare and cant fit the wheel inside the car even if you did.

If you have the audio connection option, an Ipod or phone with the proper adapter for the tunes (you will probably have a trial for Sirius active as well).

As mentioned above, grab a bottle of good glass cleaner and some microfiber towels. The windshield eats bugs with its angle more than most cars.
Old 09-10-2015 | 11:58 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Honestly you're going to get very dirty and lots of bugs. I'd just bring a microfiber towel, some mothers spray on shine/polish. get a spray bottle of normal water to help clean off bugs and properly clean it when you get home. Odds are you'll hit rain to help keep it clean. I just worried about bug juice rotting the paint. Pack very light and just bring a duffelbag, plan route home and only in major cities reserve a room before hand. Our longest trek was I think 1100 miles in a day. That was a little brutal.

Not sure if you should get tire plug kit. If you get a flat I'd have it towed and properly patched from the inside so you don't ruin the tire. If you have MPSS they are irreplaceable so you don't want to screw them up.
Old 09-10-2015 | 01:10 PM
triplenet
Pro

Don't get me wrong - I am all for adventures ... My ride home was around 1200 miles .... and I ride my motorcycle and cars up to the Blue Ridge from Miam every year....

but IMHO - sitting in the car doing 1000 miles a day on a highway is not my idea of fun...

My body and brain starts to go south around the 500 mile mark...
Old 09-10-2015 | 02:07 PM
Jake_s
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Honestly you're going to get very dirty and lots of bugs. I'd just bring a microfiber towel, some mothers spray on shine/polish. get a spray bottle of normal water to help clean off bugs and properly clean it when you get home. Odds are you'll hit rain to help keep it clean. I just worried about bug juice rotting the paint. Pack very light and just bring a duffelbag, plan route home and only in major cities reserve a room before hand. Our longest trek was I think 1100 miles in a day. That was a little brutal.

Not sure if you should get tire plug kit. If you get a flat I'd have it towed and properly patched from the inside so you don't ruin the tire. If you have MPSS they are irreplaceable so you don't want to screw them up.
That's great - I'll bring along the microfiber. I was watching videos on how to use the tire repair kit in the car and my overwhelming thought was "you would screw this up for sure."
Old 09-10-2015 | 06:36 PM
efria
Intermediate

A lot of miles in little time. I would be sure to have the seller (and then you double check) the fluids and tires.

Also, bring a bottle to pee in and enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: A Bold Endeavour : advice appreciated