Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 eyebrow light to LED swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 eyebrow light to LED swap?

I searched for awhile on the forum and even stopped at the local Porsche dealer but still not clear exactly which bulb(s) I need to swap my stock incandescents to LED (without throwing a code).

There are a few threads on Day Time Running (DRL) kits but I'm hesitant to go this route as I've read a number of people experience issues.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

Which light do you mean, specifically? A pic might help.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Default This one....

It goes from white to yellow with the blinker/flashers. Not the "fog lights", I have LEDs in those already.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marauder1; 08-22-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marauder1
It goes from white to yellow with the blinker/flashers. Not the "fog lights", I have LEDs in those already.

Hi there...
I think you are referring to the bulbs at the tip of the blinker blades? If so the are T10 Wedge bulbs. If you want to replace with LED...Simply get T10 LED that say CANBUS - No error. These have a small IC/Chip that reports that the current/resistance is proper to your DME so you do not get a CEL.

I have had them on mine for a while (I also have the complete DRL / LED blades)

Hope that helps.
DC

Here is an example of the bulb you need and on my car...not the best pics:

Old 08-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Marauder1
Advanced

Originally Posted by therock88
Hi there...
I think you are referring to the bulbs at the tip of the blinker blades? If so the are T10 Wedge bulbs. If you want to replace with LED...Simply get T10 LED that say CANBUS - No error. These have a small IC/Chip that reports that the current/resistance is proper to your DME so you do not get a CEL.

I have had them on mine for a while (I also have the complete DRL / LED blades)

Hope that helps.
DC

Here is an example of the bulb you need and on my car...not the best pics:

Great, thanks! Which DRL blades do you have? It sounds like you are happy with them?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:59 AM
therock88
Pro

Great, thanks! Which DRL blades do you have? It sounds like you are happy with them?
I got the ones when they were first coming out ad they were ridiculous ($1000)...What I found was, once you get a good transformer box (2 tries ) then you are ood. I also resealed them better than factory with black caulking and wiped smooth...Looks perfect, but no condensation or separating. I honestly think they are all made by the same company in China/Japan?? They have help up surprisingly well.

If I end up needing to replace them I will likely get the ones off fo efay for 1/2 that price as they look exactly the same...

Good luck,
DC
Old 08-22-2015, 12:23 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh - I have those too. They are Hoen branded but I got them from Maxspeed IIRC. Unfortunately both of them died (got very dim) in less than a year. They replaced one under warranty and I had to pay for the other. The new ones have been stable so far.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by campbellcj
Oh - I have those too. They are Hoen branded but I got them from Maxspeed IIRC. Unfortunately both of them died (got very dim) in less than a year. They replaced one under warranty and I had to pay for the other. The new ones have been stable so far.
The ones I have listed are not the HOEN. And honestly have purchased a variety on eBay that have lasted years...as long as you do not go too cheap.

Simply search on eBay for "LED T10 Error Canbus" and ou will find tons of them. If you get a 50 pack for $5 from China...probably not going to last that long

Good luck,
DC
Old 08-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Does the stock assembly have a white and an orange LED in the assembly in each side then? If so, maybe I'll just purchase a pair of each....
Old 08-22-2015, 04:53 PM
therock88
Pro

Does the stock assembly have a white and an orange LED in the assembly in each side then? If so, maybe I'll just purchase a pair of each....
Actually...The Factory/OEM front blades are LED except for the socket at the very end, which is a standard halogen white bulb. They do NOT light up at all unless you turn the blinker on (The Amber LED's), then there is only as set of amber LEDs that flash. They are not DRL, and ONLY have amber (not white) LEDs. Even with the OEM, you can replace the single bulb on the outer end with an LED T10 (either amber, or white). When buying LEDs if you want to match the factory HID headlights the color temperature is 4300K. I changed my HID's to 6000K and all the bulbs match perfectly. 4300K is white, but borders on slightly more yellow than the BRIGHT WHITE LED's...Just FYI

DC

Here is the difference on the HID's on my wife's Boxster S...I did the same thing here as on the Turbo:

Last edited by therock88; 08-22-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I believe the factory HIDs are 4,300K, not 5,300K.

4,300K has been the industry standard for HID color temperature for some time.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:42 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I believe the factory HIDs are 4,300K, not 5,300K.

4,300K has been the industry standard for HID color temperature for some time.
That is correct....I typed too fast and then kept repeating it. Thanks. I edited my post to correct that above. It is 4300K, not 5300K

DC
Old 08-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

OK, that makes sense. I just checked and I ordered 6000K T10s for the blinker lights and I guess I will give them a try as I don't remember what color temp bulbs I used for the "fog lights".
Actually I need to pull the front bumper to have the headlights buffed out because the Florida sun has taken a toll on them. Maybe that will be a good time to swap HID bulbs. DC, which brand did you use in your cars or does it not matter so much? Did all 2008 turbos come stock with HIDs? Sorry I am killing you guys with questions!

Here's a pic of the car. I really need to change my avatar. She looks fairly stock for now. I'm a relatively new owner and really appreciate the helpful advice I've received so far.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marauder1; 08-22-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The car looks great! All 2008 turbos came from the factory with HIDs.

I've always thought it was silly that Porsche didn't make the front turn signals operate as DRLs from the factory.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 PM
therock88
Pro

OK, that makes sense. I just checked and I ordered 6000K T10s for the blinker lights and I guess I will give them a try as I don't remember what color temp bulbs I used for the "fog lights".
Actually I need to pull the front bumper to have the headlights buffed out because the Florida sun has taken a toll on them. Maybe that will be a good time to swap HID bulbs. DC, which brand did you use in your cars or does it not matter so much? Did all 2008 turbos come stock with HIDs? Sorry I am killing you guys with questions!

Here's a pic of the car. I really need to change my avatar. She looks fairly stock for now. I'm a relatively new owner and really appreciate the helpful advice I've received so far.
On The Lights, just do not get the very cheapest ones and you will be fine. Some will flake out after a while, just defects, but good ones will last forever almost.

On your headlights, they just pop out...Look in your owners manual...no need to remove bumper cover for that, or to change the end bulbs on the blinker blades...One Phillips screw and they twist out enough to change the bulbs....

DC

Quick Reply: 997.1 eyebrow light to LED swap?