Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 "Custom Exhaust"

Old 08-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Marauder1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 "Custom Exhaust"

Before I purchased my car I was told that it had a "custom dealer installed" exhaust and a evolution tune from the prior owner. Service records from the dealer showed "R&R Exhaust and modify for straight flow". 9 hours labor.....

I was curious about this and asked the dealer that did the track inspection what was done to the exhaust and he said that he couldn't tell.

A couple months later when I replaced my exhaust tips I was surprised to see this....Is it a common mod??? Does it eliminate some back pressure? It seems like it would take 9 minutes and not 9 hours unless I am missing something.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cheap hack job to join the primary and secondary chambers, minimal back flow reduction, just headache inducing.
The stock exhaust can be modified by replacing the cats and removing the clamshell, but that's pricey.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 06:00 AM
Marauder1
Advanced

$1000 doesn't seem that cheap for what was done. I guess everything is relative. I haven't researched cats and exhaust systems yet but know they thy can get pricy. The car actually sounds pretty good to me but perhaps it's because I've gotten used to the low drone.

Would it make sense to start by replacing the cats? Are the stock ones very restrictive? Then perhaps replace the exhaust as step 2? Will the aftermarket high cats even bolt up to my stock exhaust?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:41 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marauder1
$1000 doesn't seem that cheap for what was done. I guess everything is relative. I haven't researched cats and exhaust systems yet but know they thy can get pricy. The car actually sounds pretty good to me but perhaps it's because I've gotten used to the low drone.

Would it make sense to start by replacing the cats? Are the stock ones very restrictive? Then perhaps replace the exhaust as step 2? Will the aftermarket high cats even bolt up to my stock exhaust?
On the OEM exhaust...The cats and rest of exhaust (mufflers) are all one piece, so you cannot really do it in pieces as suggested. Best bet, is to just do the cats and mufflers when you are ready. Many go with 200 Cell cats or 100, and some so straight pipe (catless)...May want to try to hear some in person to see what meets your taste.

The OEM is a big clunky thing too..You will usually save a little weight too with an aftermarket exhaust..

Good luck,
DC

Example of my Stock exhaust vs the Aftermarket ( Fabspeed Maxflo 3 and 200 Cell HJS Cats) I installed....of course no longer that shiny

Old 08-22-2015, 05:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

You actually can do it in pieces. This is an fvd that I had on my old car. The stock 600cel cats are very restrictive, fvd replaces the cats with hjs 200cell cats among other mods. I can email a clip if you like.
C
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 05:27 PM
therock88
Pro

Yes...I have seen that done, but that is a lot of work/cost to change cats and still have factory muffler(s) IMO...Then when he wants to do mufflers next....He has to cut them apart again?

I guess technically I mis-spoke as it can be done...My point was that it is one piece, so to be correct, you cannot do it in pieces without cutting the single unit in to pieces. Thus the photo...

Good clarification.

DC

Old 08-22-2015, 06:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

When they (fvd) modify the muffler, they extensively modify it internally as well, removing the clamshell and enlarging the 4 crossover pipes. So, in theory, one wouldn't need another muffler. Downside is that its only 15-20% louder than stock. I've done both routes and in the end, one is better off just buying an aftermarket system when you're ready.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 PM
therock88
Pro

Good to know.....

DC
Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Very interesting...I may go the new exhaust route but repairing the convertible top mechanism recently cost me dearly so I'll wait a bit and in the meantime see if I can hear a few aftermarket systems from local PCA members and read more on the forum.

The Fabspeed Maxpro system did capture my interest as I see that it is offered in "Mild and Sport" sound levels. Under Mild they list carbio/auto and Sport coupe/manual...Hmmm, I have a manual cabrio with a Evolution tune. Waiting for the results from Evolution MS of exactly which tune is registered with my VIN.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:23 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

That's a good plan, the fvd modified stock system costs as much or more than comparable aftermarket systems.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:09 AM
turbofever
Banned

Check out my threads - I am selling a maxflo system with only 3k miles
Old 08-23-2015, 01:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I saw that, a great deal!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:13 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Marauder1

Since your in Tampa I can tell you there are just a one or two places in the By area that do that Mod.

Typically they say a minor Tune is included. I have heard that Mod it's OK.

Ian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 "Custom Exhaust"