Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo / Mechanical Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Tots
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're awesome Heliflyer! Thanks for posting that! I love detailed posts. Especially with service bulletins!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 PM
Tots
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
I had my 997.1 TT in for a wave of service items, including new spark plugs, new coils, new water pump, new thermostat, radiator flush, new fuel filter. In driving home, it ran fine at normal RPM's, but when applying more significant throttle, enough to engage the turbo's, performance severely faltered. Despite applying throttle, it was very sluggish to push up in RPM's, far too slow to accelerate, and created an odd sound out of the back - hard to describe precisely, maybe almost like a rapid thudding/slapping sound, very audible, but not what I would call loud. Putting aside the sound, the sensation reminded me of a clutch slipping in terms of lack of throttle response, though to be clear, there was nothing wrong with the clutch, just a similar sensation. No other hints from the drivers seat - gauges (e.g. temperature) were all normal, and no smells or fluid leaking that I could see.

Recognizing many of you are much more mechanically inclined than I am and you have much greater experience with these cars, I would appreciate your thoughts on what might be causing the issue. Also, anything I should be concerned about re: collateral damage? I'll have it back in the shop next week, but it would be really helpful to get an independent view from RL, just to make sure the techs are coming at this correctly (and if not, explore other options). My local indy is usually really good - specializes in P-Cars - so this is unsettling.

Many thanks in advance.

I agree with all the others who say there is boost leak. I have been a victim of boost leak myself. I found that over tightening of the hoses with the original retaining clamps caused one to squeeze out the hoses shortly after driving off. I simply pushed it back in and tightened moderately and problem solved. I checked all others, loosened them and re tightened them. Have had zero problems since and I've done several services on it with the same oem clamps.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tots - Glad to help - that's one of the great things about this forum - there is usually an answer provided for most problems!!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Quick update just to confirm that it was indeed a boost leak from a loose hose - simple fix, and back in action! Thanks to everyone for their help!

Quick Reply: Turbo / Mechanical Help