Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on the EVOMS torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Any opinions on the EVOMS torque converter? PROBLEM FIXED

EDIT: I finally got the car fixed and the solution is at the end of this thread!

It looks like I'm going to need to take my car into the shop to troubleshoot the poor launch performance. With the possibility that it could be a worn torque converter I started looking for alternatives. Does anybody have any opinions or experience with the EVOMS upgraded TC? Even if my TC isn't worn, I'm thinking this might be a nice upgrade to protect the tranny based on how I use the car. It's supposed to offer increased stall rpms and performance up to 800 hp which is more than I expect to ever have. Thoughts?

http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_Tiptronic...clutc996tt.htm

Last edited by nuclearfishin; 08-19-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:07 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

How high of a stall speed? I had a high stall torque converter on my supra and that sucked to drive on the streets.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Default Any opinions on the EVOMS torque converter?

I think it only adds 400-500 rpm over stock.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:20 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
I think it only adds 400-500 rpm over stock.
That wont be too bad then. 3600rpm stall and that just drove like crap on the streets
Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It's pretty mild, just enough to help get the car off the line and into boost. I haven't driven a car with one that also had upgrade turbos, but it allowed a bit of brake boosting when stopped which was nice.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EVOMS
It's pretty mild, just enough to help get the car off the line and into boost. I haven't driven a car with one that also had upgrade turbos, but it allowed a bit of brake boosting when stopped which was nice.
That sounds about what I'm looking for. I have my car going into the shop Monday to evaluate the slower launches I've been having and may also consider a tranny upgrade ala Renntech. I'm hoping this will protect me from a much more expensive repair if the tranny explodes from brake torqueing on the drag strip.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:20 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm still willing to bet a 12 pack it's a boost leak and not transmission related at all
Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I'm still willing to bet a 12 pack it's a boost leak and not transmission related at all
I'll take you up on that bet--I would LOVE for them to find a boost leak that solves my problem. According to the durametric data I'm holding 23 psi peak and 10 psi while brake boosting (which seems about right). My most recent trap speed is 127 mph, however I'm still running 11.8's (slower than stock). :-( The car is being looked at as we speak. I'll update findings when I know something.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:27 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I'll take you up on that bet--I would LOVE for them to find a boost leak that solves my problem. According to the durametric data I'm holding 23 psi peak and 10 psi while brake boosting (which seems about right). My most recent trap speed is 127 mph, however I'm still running 11.8's (slower than stock). :-( The car is being looked at as we speak. I'll update findings when I know something.
I'm an optimist for the cheap fix!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I agree with Scott.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

It looks like I'm buying beer, CincyScott and TT Surgeon were right on the money, it was a boost leak, and the worst part is it was caused by me and I never put 2+2 together even after they said boost leak! The leak was caused when I put headers on the car. There was a stripped bolt which I didn't notice and the gasket going from the exhaust into the turbo was completely blown out. This basically had the same effect as leaving a waste-gate open all the time. It makes perfect sense in hindsight, why I never figured it out is beyond me.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:19 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

It looks like I'm buying beer, CincyScott and TT Surgeon were right on the money, it was a boost leak, and the worst part is it was caused by me and I never put 2+2 together even after they said boost leak! The leak was caused when I put headers on the car. There was a stripped bolt which I didn't notice and the gasket going from the exhaust into the turbo was completely blown out. This basically had the same effect as leaving a waste-gate open all the time. It makes perfect sense in hindsight, why I never figured it out is beyond me.

Cheap fix for the win!! Glad it worked out
Old 08-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair its an exhaust leak and I thought when fixed it made a nice improvement!
Old 08-20-2015, 01:18 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

At least you didn't buy a tq converter and then discover the issue....

Good job staying at it, perseverence pays off, remember common things occur commonly.
C

Quick Reply: Any opinions on the EVOMS torque converter?