Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering to buy car from FL or NY - any concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:38 PM
aoysgelt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering to buy car from FL or NY - any concerns?

I am looking for 997.2 TT and found two candidates one in NY and one in FL. NY one is 2011 with 13K miles and FL one is 2013 with 24K miles. I am in CA so I can't look at them - but from pictures and discussions they appear well cared for. Both are CPO'd by previous owner and have some warranty left.

My plan was to get them PPI'd and ask the dealership to look for more common "local" issues (e.g. corrosion).

Any thoughts on buying from those states? I read that cars corrode in Florida - but a 3 year old car that spent good time in garage should be OK - no? And if not - will local dealership be able to spot issues?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 PM
triplenet
Pro

If its in South Florida I would be happy to take a quick look before your PPI ...

BTW - Where did you hear cars in Florida Corrode ? Maybe if you live directly on the beach - most of us don't... and we also don't use salt on the roads..
Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of these cars live in garages. A dd ny car is going to have some extra wear and tear from the crappy roads. On the flip side, I'm always suspect of flood cars from Florida.
Both of these are very newish cars, a good ppi should be more than adequate.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the NY car beware if it is a "Sandy" car.... when I looked at cars last year I came across several Sandy cars that were flooded and fixed up without anything showing up on carfax, autotrader or via insurance companies....

Where in NY is the car located ?

If it is out on LI I can take a look before you do a PPI..

I bought a 997.1 last year and flicked it immediately as it had some issues (not water related) so be careful... my neighbour bought it and spent some loot on it and it now sits amongst his collection and is rarely driven
Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the NY turbo was an all year DD it would have seen a lot of salt and debris, our roads are ridiculously bad. Most folks garage them in the winter though. If it is somewhere Upstate NY or Central NY I'm happy to check it out for you.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Agree about sandy cars, tons floating around(pun), I looked at a 993tt recently that had a lot of hidden water damage.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM
aoysgelt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Agree about sandy cars, tons floating around(pun), I looked at a 993tt recently that had a lot of hidden water damage.
How would one check for water damage or what questions should I ask (obviously keeping in mind that answers may not be forthcoming or truthful)? Would PPI find it?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM
aoysgelt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
If the NY turbo was an all year DD it would have seen a lot of salt and debris, our roads are ridiculously bad. Most folks garage them in the winter though. If it is somewhere Upstate NY or Central NY I'm happy to check it out for you.
NY Car is almost 5 years old and has 13k miles evenly spread through years so it is not dd
Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

You'd have to have a very good ppi.
Look for undo corrosion on the undercarriage and brakes. Water in the interior, etc.
It's hard to tell sometimes, need expert eyes.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
You'd have to have a very good ppi.
Look for undo corrosion on the undercarriage and brakes. Water in the interior, etc.
It's hard to tell sometimes, need expert eyes.
Agree with Chris.

OP, the location of the car will give you a pretty good idea if you have to worry about it or not. Where in NY is it?
Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 PM
aoysgelt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Agree with Chris.

OP, the location of the car will give you a pretty good idea if you have to worry about it or not. Where in NY is it?
The car is at the dealership

Habberstad BMW of Huntington
945 East Jericho Turnpike
Huntington Station, NY 11746

http://www.habberstadbmwofhuntington...AD2A9XBS766262

I will ask for prior locations - but with two owners - I know dealer was not able to answer many questions re first owner.

Switching gears for a second - what do you guys think of this car? Carfax said "fuel tank replaced" before car was sold new. Then a bunch of other stuff that I am not sure what to make of...

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=DON_0

Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 01:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Carfax is pretty benign.
Car was registered in Glen Head, NY I've actually seen it around town a time or two older guy drove it, fwiw.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by aoysgelt
The car is at the dealership

Habberstad BMW of Huntington
945 East Jericho Turnpike
Huntington Station, NY 11746

http://www.habberstadbmwofhuntington...AD2A9XBS766262

I will ask for prior locations - but with two owners - I know dealer was not able to answer many questions re first owner.

Switching gears for a second - what do you guys think of this car? Carfax said "fuel tank replaced" before car was sold new. Then a bunch of other stuff that I am not sure what to make of...

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=DON_0

Thanks
Definitely check for water damage, with the car being in Long Island. Carfax looks ok. Car looks great btw!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 PM
jansan946
Advanced

This is an old thread, but that Long Island 997.2 TT is still for sale in Huntington Station. Go here: http://tinyurl.com/nehu9yj

Did anyone ever go by and check-out the car or is any other information known about it, please?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

looks in good shape, however i'd request a photo of that drivers side bolster and inside door, looks very worn. Personally I'd be skeptical buying a car from a LI dealer. I've gone all the way out there and dealt with some real ******** and they misrepresented the car I was interested in. That just left a bad taste in my mouth and were very rude. But that's just me... I'd get a good PPI

Quick Reply: Considering to buy car from FL or NY - any concerns?