Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Coils Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015 | 09:25 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ryanrayburn
I'm interested in knowing more about the meth injection. My car is not a daily driver so I keep 101 octane in it now, however it gets very expensive to drive it when I want to and I would like to see if there is a safe way to run meth injection and get the same outcome.
Why not use e85?
Old 05-28-2015 | 11:14 PM
Ryanrayburn
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately not enough stations carrying E85 here in Phoenix. EDIT - just looked at a map and there is one not too far, I ill have to research what would be involved to convert. Just updated tune and injectors?
Old 05-29-2015 | 01:03 AM
elite1
Racer

Yes, E85!

I recently switched to E85 in the same situation as you mentioned. If its available, Save and perform now! The conversion will pay for your tune change very quickly. I ran 100 oct. ($7.85 gal.) 100% of the time prior to this conversion. E85 gas, ($1.70) is cheap and performs even better than 100 oct.

A common statement about using E85 is, that it uses 30% more fuel is somewhat of a joke. This may hold true to the "grocery driver" but, when using this fuel in a performance environment, it is near 15% more consumption.

I have a thread on 6speed on the details of the conversion when I was on the line of whether to do it or not.

I used to spend $200 a weekend on gas. Now $30.
Old 05-29-2015 | 10:14 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ryanrayburn
I'm interested in knowing more about the meth injection. My car is not a daily driver so I keep 101 octane in it now, however it gets very expensive to drive it when I want to and I would like to see if there is a safe way to run meth injection and get the same outcome.
We are starting on this next week and I will document the install and share the results.

Originally Posted by elite1
Yes, E85!

I recently switched to E85 in the same situation as you mentioned. If its available, Save and perform now! The conversion will pay for your tune change very quickly. I ran 100 oct. ($7.85 gal.) 100% of the time prior to this conversion. E85 gas, ($1.70) is cheap and performs even better than 100 oct.

A common statement about using E85 is, that it uses 30% more fuel is somewhat of a joke. This may hold true to the "grocery driver" but, when using this fuel in a performance environment, it is near 15% more consumption.

I have a thread on 6speed on the details of the conversion when I was on the line of whether to do it or not.

I used to spend $200 a weekend on gas. Now $30.
I assume this is for the 997.1 right? Or do you run this with the DFI motor? If yes, we want info!
Old 05-31-2015 | 09:22 AM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
We are starting on this next week and I will document the install and share the results.

I assume this is for the 997.1 right? Or do you run this with the DFI motor? If yes, we want info!
PTF has a number of 997.2 and 997.1 cars running Aquamist methanol kits with great results and they've been doing it for years with BMWs too. Maybe give them a shout to get some thoughts? www.protuningfreaks.com is their website.
Old 05-31-2015 | 12:06 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by jazz997tt
PTF has a number of 997.2 and 997.1 cars running Aquamist methanol kits with great results and they've been doing it for years with BMWs too. Maybe give them a shout to get some thoughts? www.protuningfreaks.com is their website.
Yup, did some research and came across their site a couple of weeks ago, saw some great threads on 6speed online as well. Bought the kit from http://howertonengineering.com - Jeff is a great guy had tons of good info. Will talk to BBI during the installation process. I'll elaborate on my build thread, but I'm not tuning of it, this will be purely used as a cooling method with the beneficial side-effect of boosting octane.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Coils Worth it?