Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negatives to lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

US and European versions have different ride heights from factory, the Euro being lower. I am sure the springs used in both are different, and the shocks used also would differ in their settings to accomodate a balance of firmness and plush ride on both. In my humble opinion, to achieve the lower height with springs alone, amounts to cutting corners. I wouldn't mind Springs on a regular Carrera for looks, but this is the mighty 480HP Turbo we are talking about, an expensive and highly balanced piece of machinery. Last thing you want is to hit some bumps under heavy braking (sebring?) before a 90 degree curve only to find out you are out of suspension travel (zero dampening), bounce off and lose traction. With as many DE's scheduled as the OP has, I'd put Coilovers, alignment and a corner balance.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:15 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the advise so far!

Interesting opinions about the geometry, this is what I was concerned about. I would love to see some objective (e.g. lap times, max g's in cornering etc) to support or refute this.

Though looks are important, for me track performance is the number one thing I don't want to mess up. I think I'll start shopping for some coil overs.......
Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayinToronto

Interesting opinions about the geometry, this is what I was concerned about. I would love to see some objective (e.g. lap times, max g's in cornering etc) to support or refute this.

Though looks are important, for me track performance is the number one thing I don't want to mess up. I think I'll start shopping for some coil overs.......
Given your situation, I would do the coil overs then.

To put my build into perspective, and this may sound really stupid but, I spent near 20K on my suspension and haven't converted to coil overs "yet."

I wanted to focus on Chamber and Toe. I needed the necessary adjustments to save my fricken tires at the track. May do the JRZ's of KW's next.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:50 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Originally Posted by elite1
Given your situation, I would do the coil overs then.

To put my build into perspective, and this may sound really stupid but, I spent near 20K on my suspension and haven't converted to coil overs "yet."

I wanted to focus on Chamber and Toe. I needed the necessary adjustments to save my fricken tires at the track. May do the JRZ's of KW's next.
I hear ya on the tire issues. I've been quite happy with the wear since putting the RSS front control arms on (-2.65 degrees front, -2.2 rear). What is your current alignment? What have you put the 20k into?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:17 AM
elite1
Racer

I hear ya on the tire issues. I've been quite happy with the wear since putting the RSS front control arms on (-2.65 degrees front, -2.2 rear). What is your current alignment? What have you put the 20k into?
Sorry, mistake on my behalf. I also installed a Cup shifter, Cup cables and new RS 4.0 clutch put in. I am near $17K for my suspension setup. I am running rear 997 rear Cup arms up the Front and 997 RSR arms in the Rear. H&R lowering springs, GT2 sways, 997 drop links (tarret) with Monoball's / labor and alignment etc..
Old 04-24-2015, 02:18 AM
elite1
Racer

Old 04-24-2015, 11:45 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

"I would love to see some objective (e.g. lap times, max g's in cornering etc) to support or refute the benefit/detriment of lowering springs."
Bump this part. Anyone?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by elite1
Sorry, mistake on my behalf. I also installed a Cup shifter, Cup cables and new RS 4.0 clutch put in. I am near $17K for my suspension setup. I am running rear 997 rear Cup arms up the Front and 997 RSR arms in the Rear. H&R lowering springs, GT2 sways, 997 drop links (tarret) with Monoball's / labor and alignment etc..
What were your reasons for going this route instead of coil-overs? Top of the line KW's clubsports or Ohlins would have given you incredible control, and probably saved you a bunch of money. I think Ohlins top line is around $8K.

Very cool object btw!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:50 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the middle of installing GMG springs but need to get a shock bump stop at the dealership tomorrow. I've heard good things based on what it is. But if you have the extra funds to burn, coil overs will have more adjustability. I don't so this is would be my first phase. I do all the work on all my cars so I have the flexibility of doing coil overs when the time comes.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those with the Bilstein PSS10 and pasm, can you adjust both lowering and dampening or just lower the car? Also if you can adjust both can they be set in full soft to come close to oem normal setting?

I want the Bilsteins but don't want a harsher ride than oem pasm setup as its a daily.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:42 AM
turbo'ed
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I did GMG springs and sways at the same time. I love everything about it, the ride, the look and the the feel on the track. I'm sure coil overs would be better, but for 3-4 track days a year, I'm happy with my setup. Good luck with either route
Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 PM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz997tt
For those with the Bilstein PSS10 and pasm, can you adjust both lowering and dampening or just lower the car? Also if you can adjust both can they be set in full soft to come close to oem normal setting?

I want the Bilsteins but don't want a harsher ride than oem pasm setup as its a daily.
Anyone else can answer this question please? Anyone that has had them swapped in and can provide feedback? Is KW V3 a better option?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have H&R lowering springs.... the ride is actually nice. Approach angles are a little harder, but overall it works and looks better.
I am noticing a little squeakiness in the suspension when going over speed bumps and not sure what it is, though very minimal.

Bare in mind you are trading off suspension travel....

Last edited by tcsracing1; 04-27-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

i did gig springs and sways w/ a gt2 alignment on my 997.1 turbo

its the single best mod, unreal transformation of the car, stable, flat, no movement...transforms it!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by handdoc
i did gig springs and sways w/ a gt2 alignment on my 997.1 turbo

its the single best mod, unreal transformation of the car, stable, flat, no movement...transforms it!
First person I heard doing GT2 and not GT3 alignment. How is the GT2 alignment on tire wear?

Quick Reply: Any negatives to lowering springs?