Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any negatives to lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any negatives to lowering springs?

Thinking of adding some GMG spring to my 997.2tt. Mostly doing this for looks, but I do track my car a fair bit (have 16 days scheduled this year) and am also hoping for a bit of a performance increase. My question to you guys is is there any downside to adding these springs in terms of performance or wear on the other components? I have to think that Porsche picked the springs and designed the ride height with purpose. Am I potentially messing anything up?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
Thinking of adding some GMG spring to my 997.2tt. Mostly doing this for looks, but I do track my car a fair bit (have 16 days scheduled this year) and am also hoping for a bit of a performance increase. My question to you guys is is there any downside to adding these springs in terms of performance or wear on the other components? I have to think that Porsche picked the springs and designed the ride height with purpose. Am I potentially messing anything up?
I wouldn't do it without the TPC DSC. It tends to match the lowered spring rates with increasing shock rates. You'll be much happier with the results. If you're ever in Cincinnati, you can drive my car with that set up.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you track I'd skip the springs and go straight to coil-overs. KW's or Ohlins.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you lower you have to get a lot of other suspension stuff to bring the car geometry back in spec. Generally lowering springs also make the ride harsher, and cause to to scrape over everything.

But if you get the GMG post a review of it
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

I was at the same spot a year ago. My mechanic advised me to go straight to coilovers. I went with the Bilstein damptronics which are a good compromise between every day street use and performance. I was told that lowering the car with springs, puts extra stress on the Pasm system as well, but i cannot confirm that claim.
If you are gonna track it as much as you have planned, it probably makes sense to invest in a more balanced, and adjustable suspension such as coilovers. Just my .02
Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of folks here and other forums with lower springs. No worries, just get one of the better known springs like GMG, that's what I have and love them. Car looks far better with the drop and drives better as well. Eliminates the excessive nose bop you get with the stock setup, especially when in normal mode

Good luck
Art
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

My car has GMG springs and it runs stock geo with no issues. It also has no issue running as a daily or touring car from a height perspective.

Is slightly harsher, but with the TPC DSC as well it has definitely improved handling and drivability. I'm sure you'd be happy with the results.
Originally Posted by jem7v
If you lower you have to get a lot of other suspension stuff to bring the car geometry back in spec. Generally lowering springs also make the ride harsher, and cause to to scrape over everything.

But if you get the GMG post a review of it
Old 04-23-2015, 03:07 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the H&R springs. Car is very subtle without sport mode on. Once off, its close to my Cayenne. Car is stable but, you really know what sport mode means.

I track my car also. Only time I had an off at the track, was with sport mode off.

I hope the GMG isn't the close to comparison with H&R to a stock setup. If you DD the car, H&R wouldn't be invasive, at least for me.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 PM
socom21
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went from Eibach springs to the bilstein b16 setup and while it's a huge improvement in ride quality and feel. I felt the springs with stock shocks were way under damped.Skip the springs go for a set of good coilovers. I like the ability to maintain the pasm.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:25 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
My car has GMG springs and it runs stock geo with no issues. It also has no issue running as a daily or touring car from a height perspective.

Is slightly harsher, but with the TPC DSC as well it has definitely improved handling and drivability. I'm sure you'd be happy with the results.
It can be done np. But it's not ideal. Probably not something that would be noticed unless at the track. I'm OCD so I don't want to screw up what porsche does, therefor if I lower it, I want to bring it back to the correct geometry.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
It can be done np. But it's not ideal. Probably not something that would be noticed unless at the track. I'm OCD so I don't want to screw up what porsche does, therefor if I lower it, I want to bring it back to the correct geometry.
do you know why Porsche has the car set up so high from the factory? Do you think it has anything to do with handling or geometry? The stock springs are set to this height to meet regulations for driveway clearance, parking garage slabs etc

Stock geometry was not affected by the springs. In fact I was able to get much more aggressive camber once lowered and all its done is improve the handling.

Anyway, it's personal preference and one should do their due diligence and make the best decision for themselves.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
do you know why Porsche has the car set up so high from the factory? Do you think it has anything to do with handling or geometry? The stock springs are set to this height to meet regulations for driveway clearance, parking garage slabs etc

Stock geometry was not affected by the springs. In fact I was able to get much more aggressive camber once lowered and all its done is improve the handling.

Anyway, it's personal preference and one should do their due diligence and make the best decision for themselves.
+1
Old 04-23-2015, 02:10 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

IMO lowering springs are a compromised solution to gain lower ride height.
you lose suspension travel

i have lowering springs on my car thanks to previous owner.
(champion motorsports)
i hate them
car is too low
suspension does not have sufficient travel
compliance sucks

if you want to lower car, buy coilovers or Bilstein B16 system or similar.

just my (expert) opinion........

Old 04-23-2015, 02:32 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 springs are not the route to take.. coilovers are the real solution

quick example, even on a mercedes clk i switched from h&r sprigns to pss9's the ride was 10x better and smoother

yes they work fine for some periods of time although they will eventually result in your oem shocks failing
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909

Yes but porsche doesn't design the car 2 inches lower than at the end of it just says "fu** it, lets raise it 2 inches now to meet DOT requirements). They design it with all of that in mind. This is a very simple concept come on.

Lowering any car always messes with the geometry. That's why aftermarket companies offer adjustable control arms to fix it. And to get more aggressive camber as well. I know this is a springs discussion but since everyone keeps recommending coil overs. Any feedback on the ohlins compared to the bilsteins? I read many threads of bilsteins failing but never the ohlins. Also I wonder how the ohlins compare to the DSC.

Quick Reply: Any negatives to lowering springs?