997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN pdk over rev?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015 | 09:55 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

jets, so even though my wheels lifted and the dash warning lights came on as well as the throttle started to "shutter" under full throttle, my car did not over rev?
Old 04-07-2015 | 09:24 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Thats just the Rev Limiter cutting in.

Why don't you have the dealer pull a DME report and look it over.

In Theory an Engine internal Mass at 7300 RPM will unload when Fuel is Cut the Only way I can conceive of this not happening would be a steep down hill grade.

Ian

Last edited by flyjets; 04-07-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mkk62
Thx. Just done know why often there appears to be some resistance from some dealers to get the overev DMe report. I'm guessing many sales people do not completely understand how to interpret them.
The resistance I think comes from the fact the Tip/PDK is while not impossible to over rev difficult to over rev. It is not at risk from over reving like manual transmission equipped cars. Thus the DME over rev reading is seen as an added (and unnecessary) selling expense.

Also, the over rev reading requires use of the PIWIS computer and these are in short supply. Due to the high initial cost and high monthly costs dealers generally only have one of these and it is in almost constant use for new car sales prepping and warranty work, etc. Even my lowly 2002 Boxster which I dropped off the other day to have an airbag warning light on looked into required some PIWIS diagnostic computer time to read the airbag codes.

So, any time the dealer ship can get away with *not* using the diagnostic computer it is going to try.

Frankly, though, when it comes time to buy a used car I want the full read out regardless of the transmission type in the car.
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:59 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster
The resistance I think comes from the fact the Tip/PDK is while not impossible to over rev difficult to over rev. It is not at risk from over reving like manual transmission equipped cars. Thus the DME over rev reading is seen as an added (and unnecessary) selling expense.

Also, the over rev reading requires use of the PIWIS computer and these are in short supply. Due to the high initial cost and high monthly costs dealers generally only have one of these and it is in almost constant use for new car sales prepping and warranty work, etc. Even my lowly 2002 Boxster which I dropped off the other day to have an airbag warning light on looked into required some PIWIS diagnostic computer time to read the airbag codes.

So, any time the dealer ship can get away with *not* using the diagnostic computer it is going to try.

Frankly, though, when it comes time to buy a used car I want the full read out regardless of the transmission type in the car.
This!

Quick Reply: CAN pdk over rev?