Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum leak, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015 | 07:37 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Default IPD Plenum leak, need help...

Hi all, I finally located the source of my boost leak (see video below). While spraying soapy water with 12 psi going through the system, you can see a bit of a leak from the $750 EVOMS leakproof fitting (I'm not happy about that). However, there's a MUCH bigger leak from behind the IPD plenum where it's blowing air out as fast as it's going in. I'm not sure if it's blowing air from where the fittings connect to the plenum or where the hoses connect to the fittings. Are the fittings fixable? Any other advice?

Old 03-22-2015 | 08:30 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

How did you figure out you had a boost leak? What were the symptoms when driving?
Old 03-22-2015 | 09:41 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Can't tell a ton from the video, but is there a drawing you can point to? (PET for instance)

I know several folks have complained about the IPD plenum, but I'm not sure what led to the complaint.
Old 03-22-2015 | 10:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You could put the stock plenum back on.. You might be surprised with the results..
Old 03-22-2015 | 10:54 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Can't really see much in that video, at least I can't.
Old 03-23-2015 | 12:47 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

The only thing in the video worth looking at is the leak-proof clamp from EVOMS. For $750 I wouldn't have expected it to leak. The other point of the video is so you could hear the air rushing out the back of the plenum. All the air is coming out from the little tubes on the backside. I'm still not sure yet if the plenum itself is to blame or the hoses and connections going to the plenum. I'm not ready to go back to stock until I get the plenum installed without leaks and have a chance to time my car on the track with it installed. I keep good records of my timed runs and want quantitative data one way or the other as to whether the plenum is worth keeping. All the butt-dyno impressions don't mean anything to me.
Old 03-23-2015 | 01:52 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Hard to tell from the video.
Old 03-23-2015 | 07:36 AM
ctony66
Racer

Try and use a mirror to see if you blew a hose off the plenum. I blew the big hose on the right side (looking at it) on the first run. It is also real easy to have one of the side hoses fold at the bottom. Really hard to tell without getting in there with a mirror. I doubt one of the fittings are leaking because they epoxy them in pretty good. If it did blow a hose off just pre set a small zip tie and slip it on the hose. Then use some long needle nose pliers to pull it tight.
Cheers
Old 03-23-2015 | 10:18 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctony66
Try and use a mirror to see if you blew a hose off the plenum. I blew the big hose on the right side (looking at it) on the first run. It is also real easy to have one of the side hoses fold at the bottom. Really hard to tell without getting in there with a mirror. I doubt one of the fittings are leaking because they epoxy them in pretty good. If it did blow a hose off just pre set a small zip tie and slip it on the hose. Then use some long needle nose pliers to pull it tight.
Cheers
Good idea, I'll try that, thanks! It does feel like it's coming from the big hose in the rear as you say. To be clear, I assume the air inside the IPD plenum is pressurized to whatever boost level the car is making, correct? If that's the case, what's holding the rear hose on while it's pressurized to 18 psi? It seems you would need a good clamp to keep this connection secure under those pressures.
Old 03-23-2015 | 11:14 AM
ctony66
Racer

It has a slight barb on the end of the fitting and should have a crush style clamp on it from ipd. Yes it has boost all the time when spooling. Did you buy it new or used? I got mine used and didn't even come with the check valve so make sure that's there. It will boost your oil tank otherwise. I had to get one from Ipd. Really cool guys if you decide to call them. The zip ties will hold it no problem if you get it tight. The easiest way to do it is to loosen the motor mount nuts with a floor jack under the engine. Then just drop it down an inch or so, then you can access it pretty easy. Its a knuckle buster but not hard at all. Hope this helps. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Cheers
Old 03-23-2015 | 04:57 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
The only thing in the video worth looking at is the leak-proof clamp from EVOMS. For $750 I wouldn't have expected it to leak. The other point of the video is so you could hear the air rushing out the back of the plenum. All the air is coming out from the little tubes on the backside. I'm still not sure yet if the plenum itself is to blame or the hoses and connections going to the plenum. I'm not ready to go back to stock until I get the plenum installed without leaks and have a chance to time my car on the track with it installed. I keep good records of my timed runs and want quantitative data one way or the other as to whether the plenum is worth keeping. All the butt-dyno impressions don't mean anything to me.
The clamp kit seals to the y-pipe, throttle body, and itself using o-ring connections. If one of those o-rings has been compromised, it could cause the leak. Shoot me an email at sstone@evoms.com or call 480-317-9911 and ask to speak with Sam and I would be happy to ship out a whole new set of o-rings. I think we had discussed this before but there was an issue with communication on my end so I did not get your PM until MUCH after you had sent it, those methods will allow me to take care of you much faster.

We have had issues with the tapered brass fittings on IPD plenums leaking, so we like to seal everything with epoxy when performing in-house installs. If you're sorted on the check valve, the leaks may be coming from the fittings which would require some work to tighten or seal.

Sam
Old 03-24-2015 | 09:13 AM
Rogor
Instructor

Can you get your hands on some tracergas?
Like Sulfur-hexaFluoride (SF6).
Old 03-24-2015 | 01:39 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rogor
Can you get your hands on some tracergas?
Like Sulfur-hexaFluoride (SF6).
Yes, I'm a researcher and we have a lots of labs that use SF6 (I don't). Are you suggestig to run SF6 through the system and then try and pinpoint where it's coming out? I haven't worked with it but am assuming this is how it would be used?
Old 03-24-2015 | 01:41 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EVOMS
Shoot me an email at sstone@evoms.com or call 480-317-9911 and ask to speak with Sam and I would be happy to ship out a whole new set of o-rings. Sam
Thank you, regardless of the leaking connection I will give EVOMS credit for trying to help. I bought a bunch of o-rings last time it leaked so I have replacements, I just dread trying to reassemble it, that wasn't easy, even after greasing up all the surfaces.
Old 03-24-2015 | 01:48 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Yes, I'm a researcher and we have a lots of labs that use SF6 (I don't). Are you suggestig to run SF6 through the system and then try and pinpoint where it's coming out? I haven't worked with it but am assuming this is how it would be used?
Yes, we use it to find (gas) leaks in a household sanitary sewer systems.
Watch for the smoke.
Just like OP does, put the system on pressure and add SF6 with it.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum leak, need help...