Sponsored by:

Yet another coolant leak issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm still getting the occasional small puddle of coolant on the floor underneath my car on the left side. I just had the system pressure tested by my local Porsche dealer and it checked out just fine. I may try a new cap...
What version cap do you have - I believe the most current part number on the cap ends with 04.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Had the same leak and I fixed it. It was one of the elbows. Well guess what, other ones started leaking. But to get those repaired, my engine has to come out. This is occurring on many of these cars right now. I will be dropping my engine around September. It will happen to all of you so be prepared. I was thinking of using the sharwerks metal elbows. It is not your cap trust me, it's the elbows and hoses that attach to them. I have a Cen-tech video camera and took video of the leaking parts. You can see the coolant pudding on the top of engine. It stays atop until it spills over. That's when you notice the leak. If you want to know if you have this problem, do this test. After you drive for 15-20 minutes, open your engine and smell. If you smell coolant------engine out time! I guarantee it!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your input gentlemen!

OK, so why didn't the leak show up when I performed the coolant pressure test? I tested it at 16 psi and let it sit for close to a half hour and the pressure held steady.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexluvsTTs
Thanks for all your input gentlemen!

OK, so why didn't the leak show up when I performed the coolant pressure test? I tested it at 16 psi and let it sit for close to a half hour and the pressure held steady.
It is not uncommon for a cooling system leak to not show up under a cold pressure test. If the leak is "under water" so to speak the cold pressure alone may not be enough to push any fluid out let alone enough to allow the pressure to drop.

A "hot pressure" test sometimes will turn up a leak while a cold pressure test doesn't.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Macster how does one perform the hot pressure test accurately and safely?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 977 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What version cap do you have - I believe the most current part number on the cap ends with 04.
Mine is a blue cap that ends with "02".

There isn't any sign of a leak around the cap, so I wonder if it's something else? The dealer couldn't find anything...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:34 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Drive and smell. Got new wheels,springs, rotors and brakes. Car sits in garage until I can get to it. It sucks for me! Too many other projects around the house. September is when my calendar is free from work related stuff.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Mine is a blue cap that ends with "02".

There isn't any sign of a leak around the cap, so I wonder if it's something else? The dealer couldn't find anything...
Going to the newer cap is less expensive than dropping the engine so maybe that's step 1 in your diagnosis.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:58 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

whats the cost of this repair?

ian
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys as silly as this sounds be careful of not cross threading the plastic cap. If you put on normal clockwise it appears to tighten. Well my car smelled like coolant and was loosing just a small amount with no apparent leaks.

I went to a new porsche independent showed me how the system was not holding pressure yet the cap appeared to be on correct. He took the cap off went counter clockwise then clockwise. The smell went away and no more coolant evaporating, the few times I drove the car. He tells me he sees this a lot.

Best 20 ever spent as he did not even want to charge me. I have the newer suncoast cap as well.

Last edited by ljpviper; 03-20-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

This has nothing to do with the leak, but: Change the bolts on your headers, they're pretty rusty and will only get worse. Check over the rest of the exhaust as well. The longer you leave it the more time and effort it will take. And the part number for the turbo studs is on the turbo page of the catalog, not the exhaust page...
Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Thanks for the recommendation nzskater...I'll put that on the list when I get the TT serviced!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Had the same leak and I fixed it. It was one of the elbows. Well guess what, other ones started leaking. But to get those repaired, my engine has to come out. This is occurring on many of these cars right now. I will be dropping my engine around September. It will happen to all of you so be prepared. I was thinking of using the sharwerks metal elbows. It is not your cap trust me, it's the elbows and hoses that attach to them. I have a Cen-tech video camera and took video of the leaking parts. You can see the coolant pudding on the top of engine. It stays atop until it spills over. That's when you notice the leak. If you want to know if you have this problem, do this test. After you drive for 15-20 minutes, open your engine and smell. If you smell coolant------engine out time! I guarantee it!
UPDATE!

I drove it a little more aggressively last week...still no leak, BUT two days later there was the puddle again! I pressure tested it again and sure enough, it began leaking coolant again...arrggh! So there it is, my TT has a leaking coolant hose!

I'm having it serviced in mid April at one of our indie shops here in Calgary (Alpine Autowerks). I'll have them TIG weld the connections. Now, what else should I address while I'm in there with the engine being out guys?

Ironic in that I traded in my 2006 C4S on this car last June as I was somewhat concerned about the whole IMS issue with the 2005-2009 997.1 Carreras. AND now I get this issue on my TT???
Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexluvsTTs
UPDATE!

I drove it a little more aggressively last week...still no leak, BUT two days later there was the puddle again! I pressure tested it again and sure enough, it began leaking coolant again...arrggh! So there it is, my TT has a leaking coolant hose!

I'm having it serviced in mid April at one of our indie shops here in Calgary (Alpine Autowerks). I'll have them TIG weld the connections. Now, what else should I address while I'm in there with the engine being out guys?

Ironic in that I traded in my 2006 C4S on this car last June as I was somewhat concerned about the whole IMS issue with the 2005-2009 997.1 Carreras. AND now I get this issue on my TT???
Don't worry about that man, you avoided a huge hit if that crap m97 engine would have failed. Pinning your coolant fittings is only a couple k and it will be fixed for good. Other then that the engine is bullet proof. Though while the engine is out maybe looking into preventing a future spun camshaft.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-camshaft.html
Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Thanks jumper for the link! I'll look into it.

Incidentally, when did you have your TT coolant hose issue addressed? No probs since?

Cheers!

Alex

Quick Reply: Yet another coolant leak issue!