Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ERP triple carbon clutch question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 AM
murph85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ERP triple carbon clutch question.

After setting up my suspension it's now on to the performance parts, I bought a erp triple carbon clutch and was told I would need the do the gt2 slave conversion for the clutch to work properly with all the new power. Is this a necessity or just added benefits with the new clutch. I'm torn my Indy says a necessity and my buddy with 650whp isn't running one so I'm a bit confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM
murph85
Intermediate

Sorry I forgot to add the performance parts:
Ep stg 2
Cobb tune
1000cc injectors
Champion intercoolers
Awe Headers
Ipd plenum gt3 throttle body
Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm struggling to figure out why the slave would matter to the clutch disk. The assisted slaves wear out fast and have less feel, but you can actually use them in traffic. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:52 PM
murph85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I'm struggling to figure out why the slave would matter to the clutch disk. The assisted slaves wear out fast and have less feel, but you can actually use them in traffic. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.
That's what my train of thought is, from what I've been reading it seems to be a no brainier to do while upgrading the clutch and some say it is overkill for street use. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Slave conversion gives you a better (lifelike feel.) I opted for the Evoms GT2 convo with the ERP3X swap. My clutch may be going in for an update, that will provide a better engagement.

I went into this setup, with the thought that I would never need to replace the clutch while having a reduction in idle noise. Idle noise, is good with sport mode but, engagement has been bad with only a very short "grabby / Pulsing" engagement.

Update should cure these issue though. Clutch acts like software at times with its updates.

In this regard, Clutch cost much more though with removal and installation.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 AM
murph85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elite1
Slave conversion gives you a better (lifelike feel.) I opted for the Evoms GT2 convo with the ERP3X swap. My clutch may be going in for an update, that will provide a better engagement. I went into this setup, with the thought that I would never need to replace the clutch while having a reduction in idle noise. Idle noise, is good with sport mode but, engagement has been bad with only a very short "grabby / Pulsing" engagement. Update should cure these issue though. Clutch acts like software at times with its updates. In this regard, Clutch cost much more though with removal and installation.
Thanks for the insight, I also thought that this will be my last clutch upgrade as everyone tells me erp triple is bullet prof, we shall see. I'm also used to the chattering sound as I'm currently running an aluminum flywheel that makes some noise at idle but I like all the mechanical noises.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We recently did a customer's 996TT with an updated ERP Triple and our GT2 Slave Conversion. I put a good amount of seat time into the car in Phoenix traffic. The pedal effort is roughly the same as a stock clutch WITH the GT2 slave conversion, so it's on the stiff side but it isn't bad. With our GT2 Slave Conversion kit, engagement is about 1/3 of the way from the top. It's a bit of a narrow engagement, but is very smooth and overall, I think the clutch is very driveable for the power it's rated for.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMS
We recently did a customer's 996TT with an updated ERP Triple and our GT2 Slave Conversion. I put a good amount of seat time into the car in Phoenix traffic. The pedal effort is roughly the same as a stock clutch WITH the GT2 slave conversion, so it's on the stiff side but it isn't bad. With our GT2 Slave Conversion kit, engagement is about 1/3 of the way from the top. It's a bit of a narrow engagement, but is very smooth and overall, I think the clutch is very driveable for the power it's rated for.
What would you need to modify on the ERP set up to make the clutch engage lower as a normal Sachs motorsport set up? No one has been able to answer this. I've driven Elite's car and the clutch engages at the very top of the pedal with a very narrow on/off window. He has your GT2 slave kit. I'd like to know if there is a potential fix to this. If so, I would consider the set up if I ever need more holding power. I know one of the guys in Germany had the ERP 3x and removed it for this same reason. He is now running a twin disc Sachs clutch that is holding over 900whp and drives like stock. I'm trying to get a parts list for this. Thx
Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM
jazz997tt
Advanced

I tried this clutch and I hated only the narrow engagement part of it. It had the evoms slave kit. I would never run it on any car that sees street duty unless that narrow engagement can be fixed. I'll need an upgraded clutch soon as I'm planning to do 3076s with protuning freaks (PTF) and their custom Cobb tuning.

Any details on the Sachs twin disk?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
elite1
Racer

Clutch worked great at the track. I will be sending in my clutch for an update a rebalancing. I'll report back once this is complete. Main current issue is engagement.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 PM
murph85
Intermediate

I bought the erp kit based on the ability to hold the power and be "built proof" for my set up. Now as I get deeper into it I think the drivability is going to be horrible based on the clutch engagement. Hopefully I can live with it on the streets.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:03 PM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Any news here elite1?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 PM
elite1
Racer

Hi Jazz,

Sent in the clutch for an upgrade. Clutch looks really nice (like new in fact.) Since I wont be looking to generate more HP, I decided to convert to the Sachs setup with increased Pressure Plates. May sell the clutch if I like the new conversion.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 AM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by elite1
Hi Jazz,

Sent in the clutch for an upgrade. Clutch looks really nice (like new in fact.) Since I wont be looking to generate more HP, I decided to convert to the Sachs setup with increased Pressure Plates. May sell the clutch if I like the new conversion.
Sachs 2.5 or something custom?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 AM
elite1
Racer

Originally Posted by jazz997tt
Sachs 2.5 or something custom?
Nothing custom for this. Sachs 764 with a slight change to the flywheel and pressure plate. I'll share the details after confirmation of this setup.

Quick Reply: ERP triple carbon clutch question.