997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who track their Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015 | 12:01 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Default For those who track their Turbo...

I'm wondering a 997.1 or 997.2 is on the track in basically stock form?

Looking to get back into a Porsche and always wanted a TT and would likely
do some track days(12-15 per year). Just curious from those of experience with
a TT on the track, how is it?

Driven a 997 GT2, amazing power and good on the track in stock form, but figure it's a more track purposed car than a 997 TT.
Old 02-18-2015 | 01:11 PM
dmihalevich
Rennlist Member

I would say the car is terrific on the track right out of the box. The fact that the 997.1 uses the Metzger engine appeals to many people but I cant say that it would swing me one way or another. I have always been a fan of buy the newest car you can afford. I have tracked my 997.1 many times and have found it to be a very reliable, very fun car. In addition you can do some reasonably inexpensive upgrades to it to extract an even greater track experience out of it. Compared to the GT2 the Turbo will be a little different experience on the track as it is AWD and has just gobs of grip out of corners. Not 100% sure on the GT2 but most GT cars have more suspension adjustment (Control Arms) than you can get on the Turbo which would allow you to put more camber in your suspension setup. If you track your car a lot you may choose to do minor upgrades like that to allow for better grip and more even tire wear during track outings. I dont think you will be disappointed with the car for what you are describing.
Old 02-18-2015 | 01:28 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I'd say it depends on what you're used to. If you're used to tracking cars that are more purpose built for it, you'll probably be disappointed with either car on the track and will end up looking to tighten things up a bit. If you're used to driving stock (un modified cars) to their limits in your track work, you'll be very happy with either car.

I think with that many intended track days a year, and not knowing if you're looking for a DD as well, I'd shoot for a GT2 or GT3.
Old 02-18-2015 | 01:59 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

If you plan to drive it a fair amount on the road as well as track it 15 times/yr., you'll have to decide where the balance point between the two sits for you.. If I tracked mine that much, I'd want more than just the TPC DSC module I have to help improve the suspension performance. I track mine 2-3 times/yr.
Old 02-18-2015 | 04:42 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Is it needless to say that it's important to cool down the turbo's after some hard driving?
From my day working with a Alfa Romeo racing team I know we always idled the engine to give the turbo some time to cool down.
Someone I knew from that team had also a P 997.1 TT tuned to 640 Hp.
Every time he drove the car hard he stopped the engine immediately.
It didn't take long for the turbo's to break. I always thought that was because he didn't give the car time to cool down.
Old 02-18-2015 | 04:56 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I'd say it depends on what you're used to. If you're used to tracking cars that are more purpose built for it, you'll probably be disappointed with either car on the track and will end up looking to tighten things up a bit. If you're used to driving stock (un modified cars) to their limits in your track work, you'll be very happy with either car.

I think with that many intended track days a year, and not knowing if you're looking for a DD as well, I'd shoot for a GT2 or GT3.
Totally agree, while the turbo is very capable, I was a bit disappointed when compared to the e92 M3, to be fair, the M3 had KW clubsports. The turbo needs a bit getting used to it.
Old 02-18-2015 | 04:59 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rogor
Is it needless to say that it's important to cool down the turbo's after some hard driving?
From my day working with a Alfa Romeo racing team I know we always idled the engine to give the turbo some time to cool down.
Someone I knew from that team had also a P 997.1 TT tuned to 640 Hp.
Every time he drove the car hard he stopped the engine immediately.
It didn't take long for the turbo's to break. I always thought that was because he didn't give the car time to cool down.
Modern day turbos don't need a cool down period. Having said that, it isn't a bad idea to do a cool down lap anyway... but heat-soak on the track is always a concern, upgrading the intercoolers is the way to go when your car sees tons of track days.
Old 02-18-2015 | 11:22 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

For those who track their Turbo...

I salute you !
Old 02-19-2015 | 01:50 AM
greta991gt3
Intermediate

I have tracked my 997.2 manual Turbo and it is amazing...but i bought a new gt3 for motorsports so as to preserve my turbo as my "forever" dd car and I think it is a perfect balance.

I do recommend cool down lap for both turbo and gt3; they get hot, especially on hot days.
The following users liked this post:
Truth Slayer (05-31-2022)
Old 02-19-2015 | 04:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

either model will suffice. Both the same really. Dampning is a little different in .2 and .2 has slightly more power...
If you really wanna be king of the D.E, go for the the 997.2TT with PDK.
Old 02-19-2015 | 08:53 AM
chakka
Rennlist Member

I did have the opportunity to drive a GT3 for a friend to the track(2:30hrs) and remember thinking it's a great car, but don't know if i'd like driving it 5-7000miles per year on the road. Thinking the TT will give
a much better ride on the street, but still give me a good DE car. Hope to get ride-a-longs at a few events this year with some instructor friends that have both cars and maybe a few laps.
Old 02-19-2015 | 10:19 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

^^^
What he said...
Old 02-19-2015 | 11:31 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

I have not tracked mine and don't plan to anytime soon, but I imagine the stock suspension and weight would be frustrating. I'm used to a 2000lb fully race-prepped, mid-engined car though.

Doing that many events is a big commitment and I'd also look carefully at safety equipment, starting with seats, harnesses and a rollbar.
Old 02-19-2015 | 01:08 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

For running a few track days per year the stone cold stock 997.1TT has a higher performance envelope than most will ever test. I was amazed how well a totally stock 997.1Tt tip did in the hands of a pro driver at PSDS a few years ago, needless to say a real eye opener. The only things you really need are good tires, brake pads/fluid and an alignment.
Old 02-19-2015 | 03:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chakka
I did have the opportunity to drive a GT3 for a friend to the track(2:30hrs) and remember thinking it's a great car, but don't know if i'd like driving it 5-7000miles per year on the road. Thinking the TT will give
a much better ride on the street, but still give me a good DE car. Hope to get ride-a-longs at a few events this year with some instructor friends that have both cars and maybe a few laps.
I have both, and the TT is definately more of a street car feel but can easliy bang out a few track days.

I like the feel of the GT3 on the track much better then the TT however.

Quick Reply: For those who track their Turbo...