Sponsored by:

08TT. pasm, sport??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 08TT. pasm, sport??

before you force me to open the manual, what does the sport button do to the 997.1TT?
Does it activate a louder exhaust sound like the GT3?

And what is PASM button for? suspension or traction control??
Old 02-13-2015, 11:52 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

assuming you have sports chrono as well, the sports mode re-maps the throttle, increases boost to 17.4 psi (from 14.7 in normal mode), increases peak torque to 520 ft-lbs (or 505 I forget which) and stiffens the suspension
Old 02-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 977 Posts

I previously asked the question about exhaust sound. The answers that I got were that nothing changes at all with the exhaust. That being said, my 997.1 TT gets noticeably louder when I push the sport button. It's not as loud as my old 996 C4S with sport mufflers, but I can definitely tell the difference. I'm not sure what causes it...
Old 02-14-2015, 12:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
assuming you have sports chrono as well, the sports mode re-maps the throttle, increases boost to 17.4 psi (from 14.7 in normal mode), increases peak torque to 520 ft-lbs (or 505 I forget which) and stiffens the suspension
yup, i got the chrono.
So sport button is the way to go.
(It also turns on my dampner button which i can turn off seperately.)
Old 02-14-2015, 02:00 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

With my wife in the car, I drive under "normal" mode, but by myself or with anyone else (that's not pissed why I bought a twin turbo Porsche) I drive in "Sport" mode with the shocks back to normal.

Under hard braking, the "Sport" mode will kick the car into a lower gear to rocket you out of a corner, or for whatever reason you slammed on the brakes as well as keep the car ready for any rapid acceleration you give it. It's a completely different car. I continue to "under drive" my 997TT and realize new characteristics the car possesses every time I push the car.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:34 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I previously asked the question about exhaust sound. The answers that I got were that nothing changes at all with the exhaust. That being said, my 997.1 TT gets noticeably louder when I push the sport button. It's not as loud as my old 996 C4S with sport mufflers, but I can definitely tell the difference. I'm not sure what causes it...
Very lightly press on the accelerator and then toggle Sport on and off; the engine note will remain the same. It only changes it at idle.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 977 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Very lightly press on the accelerator and then toggle Sport on and off; the engine note will remain the same. It only changes it at idle.
Interesting. I'll try that.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
before you force me to open the manual, what does the sport button do to the 997.1TT?
Does it activate a louder exhaust sound like the GT3?

And what is PASM button for? suspension or traction control??
It makes a car "ride like ****" unless you turn off the sport damper function
AND
Allows "turbo overboost".
Doesn't that sound like a fine marketing ploy?

Craig
Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
AND

Craig
I'm not sure I would call it a marketing ploy. There's a real increase in power of nearly 50 ft-lbs of torque and the suspension tightens up for a firmer ride. I remember my E46 M3 had a sports button that did nothing more than increase the throttle response, now that is a marketing ploy LOL!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Is PASM basically traction control?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
AND

Craig
Mine rides better with sport on.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:42 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Below is a summary. Enjoy...

DC

Sporty tuning of engine Motronic software, PASM, PSM, Tiptronic Transmission (if applicable), all-wheel-drive system (if applicable).

For vehicles with factory Sport Exhaust, the new Sport button would control exhaust settings.

For vehicles with PCM, new personalized settings can now be controlled. Including memory for lights, wiper, climate control, & door lock settings.

For 2009-2012 vehicles with PDK, you get a Sport Plus button with Launch Control and Race Track Shift Strategy. For base model Cayman & Boxster models, launch control is not included.

For Turbo models, Overboost is also added for additional acceleration.

When the Sport button on the center console is selected, the*engine management system enhances the engine response. A modified throttle map relates the pedal angle in the footwell to a much wider angle of opening on the throttle valve. Throttle response is significantly more immediate, and, in the higher gears, a hard rev-limiter helps protect the engine under acceleration.

Vehicles with the optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to Sport mode for harder damping and more direct steering, and, therefore, better road holding.* For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in Sport mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.*

For Tiptronic or PDK transmissions, gearshift points are delayed until the upper rev range. The shift times are shorter, the gear changes sportier. At low rates of deceleration, even with high engine speeds, the system initiates a swifter brake-induced downshift. In manual mode, gear changes are faster and more dynamic. In Sport mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised for increased longitudinal and lateral dynamics. Agility is enhanced under braking for corners with PSM, enabling greater handling response under braking and exit acceleration, especially at low speeds.

Quick Reply: 08TT. pasm, sport??