Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo no longer DD, how do I handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
You can use a battery tender or charger I guess. I prefer to keep the battery charged up the old fashioned way.

I have at times used my Turbo sparingly, sometimes just once a week for my work commute (60 miles round trip).

The car was fine, the battery was fine. Oh, let me add that I always made sure to unplug any charger cords, NAV unit and lock the car to keep the battery drain to a minimum while the car was parked and not being used.

Where an infrequently used car can experience battery issues is if the car is not driven enough when it is used. The battery runs down from sitting. Then the engine is started. The battery is down but can be recharged provided the car is driven enough to give the alternator time to recharge the battery. A quick trip to the nearby coffee shop -- with another start there when it is time to leave -- ain't going to cut it.

A 30 minute drive should be sufficient. My Turbo has a volt meter and I use it to let me know when the battery is charged up. The voltage level drops a bit after some minutes (~15 to 30) of driving which is a sign the battery's been topped up.

Also, be sure you use the A/C during this drive to let the compressor circulate refrigerant and compressor oil. This helps keep the A/C system, its seals, in good condition. A few miles/minutes from your final destination turn off the compressor and let the cabin fan run to dry the evaporator and ducts of any moisture to avoid the system developing a moldy/mildewy smell. You will still have to replace the cabin air filter every so often, maybe once a year, as this can develop a foul odor too.
Nice post...this is the way I have always thought about it and when I owned my Lexus ISF I only drove it once in a while and never had a battery problem as I followed what you said...drive enough to charge the battery...but I have read so many battery horror stories about Porsche I thought I would make sure...especially since I am not storing it for winter...thanks
Old 01-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
Nice post...this is the way I have always thought about it and when I owned my Lexus ISF I only drove it once in a while and never had a battery problem as I followed what you said...drive enough to charge the battery...but I have read so many battery horror stories about Porsche I thought I would make sure...especially since I am not storing it for winter...thanks
Well, unfortunately the car might experience more battery problems than it would were it used more often and regularly.

The car sits unused. The battery loses charge. Lead/acid batteries do not like this. You start the car and drive the car. Assuming you drive long enough the battery is recharged, but it has suffered a tiny bit of degradation from the experience.

Repeat. Repeat. And repeat a number of times.

There can be battery problems in this car's future.

In the case the car is used more often the battery doesn't run down as much between uses. Thus all other things being equal the battery doesn't suffer as much and thus the car would experience fewer battery problems.

It is a trade off. Use the car less and possibly have to replace the battery more often. Use the car a lot less and there could be reached a point where outside help -- battery charger/maintainer is called for.

I've never been a fan of using a battery charger/battery maintainer. I prefer to be able to get into either of my cars and get on my way ASAP. Now I don't mind a short/brief pre-drive check for low tires, any obvious leaks, a scan of the dash for any signs of trouble, once in a while a fluid level check of the vital fluids, but having to disconnect a battery charger, fool with the cords and such?

No way.

Fortunately I'm in a position I can use my cars often enough so I do not have to worry about the battery degrading from the car sitting unused.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:12 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Seriously, get a CTEK MXS 5 and have the pig tail sticking out next to the windscreen fluid reservoir. It's about a 30 second job to connect/disconnect pre and post drive. Less time than checking the tyre pressure!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I don't get it. In 25 years of owning 3 Porsches, I have never had a dead battery, even from up to 17 days away on a trip.

I average about 4 years per battery.

But if Jay Leno says the CTEK is da schnizzle, I guess I'll get one for if I do a trip over 17 days away from home.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 AM
MY997
Racer

Whoa...I am so confused...get a charger...don't get a charger...

LOL...that is what is great about Rennlist...take in all the opinions and then do what you think works best for you.

So do you all want to know (or care) what I decide?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Post it, if people are interested they'll read, if not they won't.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering that there is no down-side of putting her on a charger, and that said charger cost around $200 (?) I seriously don't get this thread.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:38 AM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by Dstutler
Post it, if people are interested they'll read, if not they won't.
True...True.

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I seriously don't get this thread.
Well if you re-read the first post it was not only about the charger...seriously do you guys think I am worried about spending $100 on a charger...LOL

The thread "title" is not about a charger either but the thread kind of took a life of its own...as they sometimes do However, I did not see one post that adressed this part of the first post and I wondered about what else I may need to be concerned about with the car sitting a lot???
Also is there anything else I need to do or know about in reference to my car doing a lot of sitting in the garage? Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True...True.

Well if you re-read the first post it was not only about the charger...seriously do you guys think I am worried about spending $100 on a charger...LOL

The thread "title" is not about a charger either but the thread kind of took a life of its own...as they sometimes do However, I did not see one post that adressed this part of the first post and I wondered about what else I may need to be concerned about with the car sitting a lot???
If you take out the car every other weekend there isn't much else you need to do. If it sits longer than a month at a time I'd overinflated tires to avoid flat-spots. If it really sits longer I'd fill up the tank with fresh gasoline (winter rated if you are in that climate - you're not though), and add fuel stabilizer. In your case a battery tender is all what is needed. Tires won't get a flat spot after a week or two.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 AM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
If you take out the car every other weekend there isn't much else you need to do. If it sits longer than a month at a time I'd overinflated tires to avoid flat-spots. If it really sits longer I'd fill up the tank with fresh gasoline (winter rated if you are in that climate - you're not though), and add fuel stabilizer. In your case a battery tender is all what is needed. Tires won't get a flat spot after a week or two.
Thanks...I think I am good now and I am planning to buy a Porsche battery tender/charger for when I know the car will sit for an extended period of time...but seriously I hope to drive it every week...but just when I want to (nice weather, event, etc...)...thanks again for everyone's input...you can "close" the thread!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:30 PM
MY997
Racer

Okay so I went and bought the CTEK battery tender device today and last night I made it offcial that my TT is no longer my DD (see below)...however, I plan to drive it as much as possible...just now it will be when I "want to" versus having to drive it for instance in bad weather, etc...

Name:  Under the covers.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  115.2 KB

Quick Reply: Turbo no longer DD, how do I handle this?