Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have clear bra on the whole front end of your Turbo?
Yes
69.57%
No
30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

To clear bra or not to clear bra, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine has full front. Pillars, turbo vents. running boards, rear wheel flares. It has saved my paint. But now after being on there for 6+ years it looks pretty nasty. I would definetly do at least the bumper cover, front fenders and hood..
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm wondering if the hood is worth it. I'm thinking maybe just front bumper. Anyone do just the front bumper? Or maybe bumper and fenders?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
I'm wondering if the hood is worth it. I'm thinking maybe just front bumper. Anyone do just the front bumper? Or maybe bumper and fenders?
So your fenders and bumper will be perfect but the hood will have a bunch of rock chips?? Sweeeeeeeeet
Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Do the full hood...and make sure they can do it in one piece.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have always added a clear bra and it's paid off many times over. Use a good clear wax and it will look great for years to come.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had an extensive clear bra.
Car originally from Arizona, over time the covered areas developed a yellowish tinge that showed up too much for my liking. Also found a few small areas lifting and the edges trapped dirt, shows up on white paint.
I had it removed. Cost of redoing was fairly high in my opinion, especially by a reputable quality shop.
Even with the film there were a couple of chips that perforated on the bumper. After 2 seasons with it off I had the bumper and front air intakes refinished to as new condition for $300.
I can live with a few chips here and there. That is just what happens when you drive on the highway. The clear bra will only prevent a fraction of chips in my opinion.
If you go extensive, might as well just do a wrap to eliminate risk of paint damage or even go a step further and make it a garage queen. In my opinion, having both; many are too hung up on the clear bra. In my case, it's just not worth the cost and upkeep.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 AM
Total911_GT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of you actually have a clear bra on your cars. I'm talking entire front end. Is it really necessary or overkill for a DD?
I had it on half of my hood when I bought my 2010 turbo. Of course, the hood was damaged by a stone on the half that wasn't covered. After that, I got a clear bra on the entire front. It has saved me numerous times.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:35 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

See I'm wondering if some people on the east coast will comment. So far getting a lot of posts from people who live in cali where the roads are terrible. Also I'm wondering if it's so highly regarded why don't more used cars for sale have them? It seems the overwhelming majority on cars.com,autostrade, and porsche's used car locator tool show cars with no clear bras. Which to me is interesting.

Last edited by jem7v; 12-24-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber from the track during DE events melted the clear bra on my hood and no matter what i did I couldn't get it looking good. Plus I didn't like how it distorted the light slightly. Even if no one else could I could always tell the difference in the way the covered surfaced looked compared to the original paint. Thus had it removed.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car used and it had a few small dings on the front. I put a clear bra on mine so I don't have to worry about it any more. It gives me a piece of mind..
Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I didn't have it on my 996, and the front bumper looked like it was sand blasted. It had many, many chips. I have extensive clear bra on my 997 TT and it looks great. I agree with the comments that clear bra is a must for a daily driver.

I'm actually considering a windshield film when I replace my windshield.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:34 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I voted No. I don't like clear bra as they take away the true color of the car in my eye. Yes, you risk getting some chip (& I have), but I can't handle the ugly/shinless bra look...yeah, I have seen some of the new "high tech" bras...but no thanks for me...
that's a good point.

i was at the dealership and on a silver car, the clear bra started to yellow with age.

the problem with these cars is the depreciation from repainting. i have a friend willing to respray my entire front cap but i'm too worried about how that will effect my resale to do anything about it.

meanwhile i'm living with the rock chips on my hood. bumper has a clear bra from Chris. I don't like the look of clear bra on metal due to the shrinkage/orange peel. chris said on his old car he had it removed and on a light color car the paint was discolored underneath.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sidwin
that's a good point.

i was at the dealership and on a silver car, the clear bra started to yellow with age.

the problem with these cars is the depreciation from repainting. i have a friend willing to respray my entire front cap but i'm too worried about how that will effect my resale to do anything about it.

meanwhile i'm living with the rock chips on my hood. bumper has a clear bra from Chris. I don't like the look of clear bra on metal due to the shrinkage/orange peel. chris said on his old car he had it removed and on a light color car the paint was discolored underneath.
Yellowing comes from improper maintenance. Plus all these have warranties so if that happens they will get replaced. I am talking though clear bra only like suntek or xpel ultimate. The rest are garbage. But when I look at the OEM clear bra on the rear quarter panel of our cars, and I look at my paint, they look the same to me.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

XPel Ultimate, entire front end to the doors, plus mirrors, rear fenders, rockers, etc. Mine is not a daily driver, but I wouldn't have either a DD or a garage queen without the clear bra!
Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I voted No. I don't like clear bra as they take away the true color of the car in my eye. Yes, you risk getting some chip (& I have), but I can't handle the ugly/shinless bra look...yeah, I have seen some of the new "high tech" bras...but no thanks for me...
Agree, I only do it on the front bumper anymore.

Quick Reply: To clear bra or not to clear bra, that is the question