Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 997TT feels like a new car now

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014 | 11:37 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Default My 997TT feels like a new car now

Ok, so I'm a bit slow to figure this out, but I have owned my 997TT TIP for a few weeks now. I have read from a few other posts here about exhaust tone and H&R springs, LED blade lights and scraping the front spoiler and all of that.
I just started to put my car into sport mode and returning the shocks to "normal" mode and I love the difference it makes. It's a completely different car, now I just missing the air cooled tone.
Now, there's no way I am going to drop $ 2500-4500 on a new exhaust system, but I really do miss my 930 exhaust note. Will a set of new tips do anything more than look different or do you have to tear into the carts and mufflers ?
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:16 AM
therock88
Pro

Yep...unfortunately the tips are only for show...won't really change anything else. Keep your eyes open as sometimes you will see good used ones here or on eBay for sale a little more reasonable.

Good luck...

DC
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:45 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

So basically I have to speed around in silent ?
Old 12-07-2014 | 01:59 AM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Stealthy is good.......
Old 12-07-2014 | 08:14 AM
therock88
Pro

Smile

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Yes....Good news is.... They do speed around! Bad news is....Sounds like a really fast sewing machine doing it, with OEM exhaust

Porsche has to design for the masses....and figured some (many) may want a quiet/ refined rocket.

Enjoy...

DC
Old 12-07-2014 | 09:04 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Actually there is a trick I have heard about. Seems if you know where to drill you can take a 1.12 to 1.25 hole saw and go from exhaust up and open the internal muffler chamber. Maybe somebody else on here has actually performed this little trick i only have heard it.

Ian
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That sounds a little bit like the Gundo hack for the normally aspirated cars...
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:37 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by therock88
Yep...unfortunately the tips are only for show...won't really change anything else.
DC
Actually, the tips can make a huge difference, but not likely with the oem exhaust (although I haven't tried). I have race cats that I use with both straight pipes and an X-pipe and two different sets of tips. The tips make a big difference as far as the resonance inside the car. With one set I almost have to wear earplugs because it's so loud while the other set I have no problem listening to the radio while on. To the OP, just take your tips off and see what it sounds like and then know you can go anywhere in between those two extremes with the right set of tips.
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:51 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Originally Posted by therock88
Porsche has to design for the masses....and figured some (many) may want a quiet/ refined rocket.
Porsche has to design its cars to comply with the European Union's aggressive noise regulations.
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I changed my tips and it made no difference in sound. It was for appearance only.
Old 12-07-2014 | 05:45 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Actually, the tips can make a huge difference, but not likely with the oem exhaust (although I haven't tried). I have race cats that I use with both straight pipes and an X-pipe and two different sets of tips. The tips make a big difference as far as the resonance inside the car. With one set I almost have to wear earplugs because it's so loud while the other set I have no problem listening to the radio while on. To the OP, just take your tips off and see what it sounds like and then know you can go anywhere in between those two extremes with the right set of tips.
I hear ya...literally and figuratively The OP has a factory exhaust...and you are talking straight pipes. By the time the exhaust gets through those dense Cats, and massive mufflers, I would imagine tips would have little effect on the swoosh of warm air. Much more so, when they make up 50% of your exhaust....like your set up.

Good info though...

DC

Last edited by therock88; 12-07-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2014 | 09:18 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

nuclearfishin is correct. Tip shape does not make any difference on the OEM exhaust, however, tip design makes a very big difference on a free flowing, louder, performance exhaust. We always test a variety of tip shapes and designs when engineering a new system and there is always a clear winner in terms of sound and that dictates which tip we ultimately offer with a given system.

I suspect this is not done by all exhaust manufacturers and is a contributing factor to the various systems known to drone heavily or emit uncomfortable resonance in the cabin.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 12-08-2014 | 03:12 PM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis C
That sounds a little bit like the Gundo hack for the normally aspirated cars...
My dealership offers this along with a conservative tune that all together adds 53HP and 51ftlbs of torque to a 997.1 Turbo. When the service director was explaining it to me I said oh that sounds like a "Gundo Hack" and he immediately said "NO" "It is different" and got this very stern look on his face Sure sounded like a gundo hack to me the way he explained it and the guys who work in the Motorsports shop at the dealer say it makes the Turbo cars sound a lot better???
Old 12-08-2014 | 05:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MY997
My dealership offers this along with a conservative tune that all together adds 53HP and 51ftlbs of torque to a 997.1 Turbo. When the service director was explaining it to me I said oh that sounds like a "Gundo Hack" and he immediately said "NO" "It is different" and got this very stern look on his face Sure sounded like a gundo hack to me the way he explained it and the guys who work in the Motorsports shop at the dealer say it makes the Turbo cars sound a lot better???

I'd love to learn more about this and see if my dealer offers something similar. Do you have any additional details? Cost?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2014 | 05:52 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MY997
This has been done for years, but is not very popular because it will make the car louder, but the quality of the sound is not desirable to most owners. In the end, most that do this end up purchasing a true high performance exhaust, as this hack does nothing to improve the performance of the car and lacks the type of sound most are looking for...we have had several comment that they found it worse sounding than OEM and wish they never did it...

Quick Reply: My 997TT feels like a new car now