Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What value do these mods add to this 997 turbo s that is for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014 | 08:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

35-40k max, too many mods.
Old 12-19-2014 | 02:10 PM
cam2008
Racer

I think you are in a position to negotiate. You try to ignore the mods and just treat it as a functioning car. Some dealers claim it would cost to return to stock. Unless it has the mods you really want (don't let them know) try to minimize any add ons IMHO
Old 12-19-2014 | 04:59 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cam2008
I think you are in a position to negotiate. You try to ignore the mods and just treat it as a functioning car. Some dealers claim it would cost to return to stock. Unless it has the mods you really want (don't let them know) try to minimize any add ons IMHO
But see doing this just reinforces the mods adding no value. When in fact mods do add value. Unless they are cheap cookie cutting honda civic mods, it does add value. If someone pays the extra cash and gets their stuff from the most reputable aftermarket brands, it should add value.

Case in point: I once ran up a curb with an HRE wheel, I literally smashed the concrete off the curb, and my p40s had only slight curb rash that was easily fixed. I literally broke the concrete out of the curb. 5k if that happened with a porsche wheel the porsche wheel would have snapped.

But if tomorrow I put HRE's on this turbo S, people with this attitude, will price gouge me and want to pay 2k for 8k wheels, and be retarded and pay 10k for low quality OEM wheels.

Same conversation with exhausts. If you look at bbi or akrapovic, the quality and time they put in those exhausts literally sh*ts all over porsche's exahust. But again people will say "oh no it adds no value".
Old 12-19-2014 | 05:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I think that the value of modifications is subjective. Some people place more value on a stock car than they do on a modified car. If somebody puts $8,000 aftermarket wheels on a car but a prospective buyer doesn't like the wheels, then it devalues the car. If that buyer likes the wheels, then it adds value. The same could be said for exhausts, or for any other mod. If a seller spends thousands of dollars on an exhaust system but the prospective buyer thinks that it's too loud, then it devalues the car.
Old 12-19-2014 | 06:50 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think that the value of modifications is subjective. Some people place more value on a stock car than they do on a modified car. If somebody puts $8,000 aftermarket wheels on a car but a prospective buyer doesn't like the wheels, then it devalues the car. If that buyer likes the wheels, then it adds value. The same could be said for exhausts, or for any other mod. If a seller spends thousands of dollars on an exhaust system but the prospective buyer thinks that it's too loud, then it devalues the car.
Well thats why you go p40 or p101 . No one can not like those since the OEM are very similar .

And the bbi exhaust has adjustable volume.

I understand your arguments, but those apply to the cheaper stuff. People just play the game to get mods for free essentially.
Old 12-19-2014 | 07:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Maybe in some cases, but some people also prefer to do their own mods. Some people truly prefer a stock vehicle. For me personally, I wouldn't buy a turbo that had a modified suspension or any kind of tune or ECU flash. I might buy one with an exhaust if I heard it and I liked the way it sounded.
Old 12-19-2014 | 08:36 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Maybe in some cases, but some people also prefer to do their own mods. Some people truly prefer a stock vehicle. For me personally, I wouldn't buy a turbo that had a modified suspension or any kind of tune or ECU flash. I might buy one with an exhaust if I heard it and I liked the way it sounded.
That I agree with you. Most suspension mods fu** up the car for DD use. They make it loud and bumpy and scrape over everything.

ECU tune is hit or miss. If it's cobb I'd trust it. Anywhere else not so much.
Old 12-20-2014 | 12:25 AM
Doc V.
Racer

What, exactly, are you advocating, jem7v? You assert in one your posts in this thread that "in fact mods do add value. Unless they are cheap cookie cutting honda civic mods, it [sic] does add value. If someone pays the extra cash and gets their stuff from the most reputable aftermarket brands, it [sic] should add value." Then, you imply that some modifications do diminish a car's value: "most suspension mods fu** up the car for DD use. They make it loud and bumpy and scrape over everything. ECU tune is hit or miss. If it's cobb [you'll] trust it. Anywhere else not so much."

You didn't realize that your Turbo S doesn't have a traditional dry sump engine, and you were unaware that "G50" refers to a specific type of Porsche gearbox, yet you know all about the effects of "most suspension mods," ECU tuning, exhaust systems, and the value of modified cars.

"Price gouging," incidentally, occurs on the seller's end, not on the buyer's.
Old 12-20-2014 | 09:50 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc V.
What, exactly, are you advocating, jem7v? You assert in one your posts in this thread that "in fact mods do add value. Unless they are cheap cookie cutting honda civic mods, it [sic] does add value. If someone pays the extra cash and gets their stuff from the most reputable aftermarket brands, it [sic] should add value." Then, you imply that some modifications do diminish a car's value: "most suspension mods fu** up the car for DD use. They make it loud and bumpy and scrape over everything. ECU tune is hit or miss. If it's cobb [you'll] trust it. Anywhere else not so much."

You didn't realize that your Turbo S doesn't have a traditional dry sump engine, and you were unaware that "G50" refers to a specific type of Porsche gearbox, yet you know all about the effects of "most suspension mods," ECU tuning, exhaust systems, and the value of modified cars.

"Price gouging," incidentally, occurs on the seller's end, not on the buyer's.
So what if I didn't know it does not have a traditional dry sump? First 911 for me. That doesn't affect anything I have said. The mod game is the same for every car. No car is immune to it.

And again I don't need to know about the car to know, if you replace rubber bushings with spherical, things get loud. Same as if you lower the car with aftermarket springs, things get bumpy. Same where if you go have someone tune your car who isn't reliable, things blow up. And if you get a bad exhaust, things drone.

But of course in high end cars there are always mod shops that spend a ton of money to do it right. Techart, Gemballa, Vorsteiner (maybe), Mansory, Sharkwerks, BBI, HRE, etc. If you had a ferrari you'd go to Novitec is another example with a different car. I am saying if you mod a car by one of these reputable places, it should add value not diminish it. Knowing the car's gear box, dry sump, even name, has nothing to do with the above I have outlined.

If you have experience with modifications, then don't be a smart a$$ with me, you know everything I have already outlined, and so does anyone else who has modded any car.

It's amazing to me for example there was a member on here with a techart GT street kit. That kit exterior alone is 50k. Yet he couldn't even sell his 08 turbo (i think it was could be wrong, know it was between 07-09) for 105k. Because people will say "oh it's modded, diminished value". That kit is better than the OEM components on the car. They are all carbon fiber and very high quality.

Last edited by jem7v; 12-20-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2014 | 10:35 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I guess another way to look at this is to consider what "value" really means. Ultimately, value isn't related to the price paid for a modification or for the quality of the work. Sure, these things are important, but the value is only realized if somebody is willing to pay for those modifications. If the modifications make it difficult or impossible to sell the car as in the example above, then that value is never realized. As a result, there's no little or value there.

It's a bit like real estate. If a house has been "over improved" for the market, then that value is rarely realized. For example, if you live in a suburban track home in a neighborhood full of $450K homes and you decide to spend $70K to put imported Italian marble in your entryway, you'll still sell your house in the $450K range. This is true even if you use the highest quality marble, have an outstanding builder do the work and it greatly exceeds the quality of the original builder. It might make your house a little bit easier to sell and you might get a few thousand dollars more, but not much.

I wouldn't even look at a 2008 TT for $105K. I'd rather have a newer car that is totally stock for that money, no matter how nice the mods are. That being said, you might look at the same car and say "Wow, that's fantastic, I have to buy it and I'm willing to pay a premium".

I don't think anyone is questioning the quality of the work in that case or others that you mentioned. The question is: What's that worth to me as a buyer? Am I willing to pay for it? In many cases, it seems that the answer is "no".
Old 12-20-2014 | 10:52 AM
Dstutler
Pro

I'm on my third 911 and my experience with Porsche mods has been that you need to look at them as mods YOU value not thinking someone else will value it. As an example, I put Bilstein PSS10s on my 996 which made the car drive much better than before but when selling it, with only 3k miles on the coil springs, no value in the sale.
Old 12-20-2014 | 11:00 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That's a good way to look at it.

I installed a fantastic stereo system in my 996 C4S. It had a Kenwood head unit and Focal amps and speakers. It was a fantastic, high end custom installation. I think I spent about $4,500 on it and I really, really enjoyed it. It added no value to the car at the time of sale, but it was certainly worth the money to me and it made my ownership experience more enjoyable.
Old 12-20-2014 | 11:12 AM
cam2008
Racer

I guess another way to look at this is to consider what "value" really means. Ultimately, value isn't related to the price paid for a modification or for the quality of the work. Sure, these things are important, but the value is only realized if somebody is willing to pay for those modifications. If the modifications make it difficult or impossible to sell the car as in the example above, then that value is never realized. As a result, there's no little or value there.

It's a bit like real estate. If a house has been "over improved" for the market, then that value is rarely realized. For example, if you live in a suburban track home in a neighborhood full of $450K homes and you decide to spend $70K to put imported Italian marble in your entryway, you'll still sell your house in the $450K range. This is true even if you use the highest quality marble, have an outstanding builder do the work and it greatly exceeds the quality of the original builder. It might make your house a little bit easier to sell and you might get a few thousand dollars more, but not much.

I wouldn't even look at a 2008 TT for $105K. I'd rather have a newer car that is totally stock for that money, no matter how nice the mods are. That being said, you might look at the same car and say "Wow, that's fantastic, I have to buy it and I'm willing to pay a premium".

I don't think anyone is questioning the quality of the work in that case or others that you mentioned. The question is: What's that worth to me as a buyer? Am I willing to pay for it? In many cases, it seems that the answer is "no".
+1
Old 12-20-2014 | 12:39 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Yes the real estate example I 100% agree with you, and is a good way to look at it. But I figured porsche turbo buyers would be comparable. Though that may not be the case.

This could be something only for CGT or exotics like ferrari where they are willing to pay for the good work. But I think it's because of the US. More of these cars that sell for what they are worth, are in areas of Dubai, Monaco, Germany where there is more money. So it could be for the typical US buyer, they don't have the money to see the value.

This can translate to your real estate example. If I'm looking for a 300k home, but someone took another identical 300k home and put 100k in the interior, while that 400k home would be great, I don't have the money to pay that premium. So instead I offer them 300k or maybe 320k, and say "Your improvements are not my taste". Which most of the case is completely BS. People just say that to get a good deal. But if the buyer did have the money, they would pay it.
Old 12-20-2014 | 02:30 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Certainly there's no irony in the fact that you don't know your own car, jem7v, but do know the contributions that certain modifications make to a car's performance and value--no irony whatsoever.

You boldly proclaim that "the mod game is the same for every car. No car is immune to it"--a position that relates to your ramblings about cars and modifications and your view that quality modifications enhance the monetary value of the cars to which they are applied. After all, you plead, "if you mod a car [with quality parts at a reputable shop], it should add value not diminish it." Yet you have presented examples which contradict that position and oddly don't cause a constructive revision of it.

Let's work with your position, jem7v. Since no car is exempt from the "mod game," let's take a stock, low mileage, special original color 1994 964 Turbo 3.6. Through a respected shop, we'll modify its body work, wheels, and exhaust, and we'll change its CIS injection system to an EFI system. With the modifications, will the car have a value which increases or decreases? Recall your own words, jem7v: ""if you mod a car [with quality parts at a reputable shop], it should add value not diminish it." And you even offer an example which contradicts your position: you mention a car with a "techart GT body kit" that its owner couldn't sell. (Your precise identification the car's year of manufacture is terrifically consistent: "i [sic] think it was," "could be wrong," "know it was between 07-09" certainly enhances the credibility of your views.)

So many of your posts dealing with modifications have one implicit goal: a guarantee of future market value. Before you spend the money to modify your car (the one with the limited slip differential--that standard feature about which you had no knowledge), you want assurances that the modifications will enhance the car's value when you decide to sell it. Since those assurances haven't been forthcoming, you've decided to serve as an increasingly irrational advocate for a position concerning modifications and value enhancement.

I take no issue with your desire to modify you car: it's yours to enjoy as you see fit. I do, however, take exception to the insipid and frequently inconsistent rationalizations that you generate in order to gain the confidence to act upon your desire.

Quick Reply: What value do these mods add to this 997 turbo s that is for sale?