Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 911 Turbo Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Subscribed for knowledge Porsche doesn't even know.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
When did they ever race a gt2?
The only turbo they ever raced was the 930. I have one. The 934, 935 winning record speaks for itself.
But, how is the 9a1 superior, you brought it up?
I politely say that, if anything, it's cheaper and inferior to the mezger.
maybe he was referring to MGPs and new emissions requirements? I guess you could call that "superior"

At the end of the day the 9a1 is a business decision to reduce COGS, simple as that. Doesn't mean it's not a good engine, but it wasn't designed to "replace" the Mezger, it's purely a P&L play for Porsche. It's much cheaper to use the same engine, with some modifications, coming off the same line for all your models. If the 9a1 was "superior" then there would be >1200 whp examples of the DFI engine but I doubt the block could handle the power. Anyone care to elaborate on this?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 PM
LIT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the 2009 .1 seems like the way to go. Only comes in a manual right? What are the out of the box realistic stats for 1/4 mile and 0-60 in decent DA? Its also safe to say there isn't any inherent flaws or things that needs beefing up or addressing right away? What miles are a safe bet with the car for purchase? If I got one with 40K would that still be good or am I looking at a maintenance nightmare?

Thanks for the input. Sorry if I opened up a can of worms.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Very good information on 997.1TT vs 997.2TT engine strength here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...knowledge.html

Comes from a reliable source.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
maybe he was referring to MGPs and new emissions requirements? I guess you could call that "superior"

At the end of the day the 9a1 is a business decision to reduce COGS, simple as that. Doesn't mean it's not a good engine, but it wasn't designed to "replace" the Mezger, it's purely a P&L play for Porsche. It's much cheaper to use the same engine, with some modifications, coming off the same line for all your models. If the 9a1 was "superior" then there would be >1200 whp examples of the DFI engine but I doubt the block could handle the power. Anyone care to elaborate on this?
Well put.
Back to the op's question, yes the 09 with a manual is the most desireable.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:54 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's some more info from Tom at Champion on the 9A1 engine. This time it's the fuel pump: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-research.html

A good quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Without upgrading the PDK, fuel system, or engine internals you can get to about 565hp/575tq before the PDK system cuts off power.

To go beyond that you'd need to upgrade the PDK, the entire fueling system, and also at the very least, rods. But at that point you can go to whatever power level you'd like.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 997.1 TT has no inherent issues and is overall an extremely reliable daily driver. I have an 07 and have had no issues at all. Do not hesitate in getting one.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 PM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Except for an emissions air pump replaced under warranty, from a drive train perspective my 2009 has been bullet proof. FWIW, both generations are great rides. I wanted a 2009 for its engine's racing history along with a 6-speed manual transmission because of the driver involvement. With the financial recession in full force in 2009, there's not too many 997 TTs of this model year. Happy shopping!
Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
maybe he was referring to MGPs and new emissions requirements? I guess you could call that "superior" At the end of the day the 9a1 is a business decision to reduce COGS, simple as that. Doesn't mean it's not a good engine, but it wasn't designed to "replace" the Mezger, it's purely a P&L play for Porsche
The day the 9A1 engine is put into cup cars and racks up wins consistently, then I would put it in the same league as the Mezger block.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
The day the 9A1 engine is put into cup cars and racks up wins consistently, then I would put it in the same league as the Mezger block.
The 9A1 will never make it into a race car. The current race "Mezger" has no expiration date where homologation rules are concerned. There is no need to develop the 9A1 for racing.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I have gathered from my reading on the subject:

The expensive, racing-derived "Mezger" being used in the Turbo, GT3's, and GT2 for a decade after the Le Mans winning GT1 project was the result of Mezger and the motorsport team convincing Porsche management to allow the no-holds-barred GT1 to be produced for racing, on the idea that the costs of development would be spread over 10-years' worth of GT consumer cars.

I use "Mezger" in quotes because, as most here know, Mezger was designing engines way before the GT1.

LP
Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LIT
So the 2009 .1 seems like the way to go. Only comes in a manual right? What are the out of the box realistic stats for 1/4 mile and 0-60 in decent DA? Its also safe to say there isn't any inherent flaws or things that needs beefing up or addressing right away? What miles are a safe bet with the car for purchase? If I got one with 40K would that still be good or am I looking at a maintenance nightmare?

Thanks for the input. Sorry if I opened up a can of worms.
'09 TT comes in manual or Tiptronic. 0-60 (0-62?) per factory is 3.6 seconds.

Mine has been very reliable (27K miles now, 5.5 years in), only thing I remember besides very minor or maintenance stuff was the water pump failed about 5 years in (covered by extended warranty). Overall, I think these cars are very, very reliable if well cared for and not abused, but of course stuff can go wrong like any car.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a really good PPI before committing.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:26 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

09 TT is a great car to own and drive, very solid, very reliable and plenty of power as well, you even have the option to tune that motor up to 1000 hp if you like drag racing.
Mezger is not overrated in any way, it is the most soild design porsche put in production GT cars, the new platform was a sound business choice, cheap to make, the new cars overall with the 9A1 motor are better, faster touring cars because of the PDK.
Porsche does not have any current plans to put that mortor on the racetrack, they just won't tell us why....Long live the Mezger.
OP: Buy an 09 manual for the street, you will be very very pleased.

Last edited by malmasri; 08-29-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 PM
LIT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
09 TT is a great car to own and drive, very solid, very reliable and plenty of power as well, you even have the option to tune that motor up to 1000 hp if you like drag racing.
Mezger is not overrated in any way, it is the most soild design porsche put in production GT cars, the new platform was a sound business choice, cheap to make, the new cars overall with the 9A1 motor are better, faster touring cars because of the PDK.
Porsche does not have any current plans to put that mortor on the racetrack, they just won't tell us why....Long live the Mezger.
OP: Buy an 09 manual for the street, you will be very very pleased.
Thanks! I am very excited and will be searching for the 2009 manual.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I look forward to posting some pics as soon as I get it.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I would drive both models and then decide. I used a three pedal car as my DD for decades, including an M3, 993, three M5s, MazdaSpeed3, Jeep and 991C2S, until I got my 997.2 TTS w/PDK; I have been converted. The PDK seems to know what I want to do before I do. Whether in Atlanta rush hour traffic, on North Georgia mountain roads,or at a DE event on a racetrack, it is always in the correct gear. While I will keep my three pedal Jeep and air-co0oled 911 cab for weekend fun, my DD Porsche will be PDK from hence-forth.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Blackpony
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile 2009 911 Turbo Reliability

2009 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet.

2009 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet; 997-610: Carrera White, black full leather, Sport Chrono Turbo, 6MT, PCCB, DSC Suspension, PCM 3.0, heated and ventilated seats, hard top.

35K miles and no issues with the Mezger GT1 engine. Replaced the clutch and flywheel due to sporting use by original corporate owner. Have to keep off throttle on HPDE's to let the GT3's and Corvette"s pass, as acceleration is awesome out of corners for short straights. Not set up for short tracks. We searched for over a year to find the 2009 997.1. Full asking price paid for the 911, as other Turbo buyers preempted purchase of other 997.1's. DSC electronic suspension upgrades changed the handling and comfort level of the PASM. The PCM 3.0 was a necessary upgrade, not available in previous MY's. We use the Turbo for vacations and long range touring, made possible with Porsche reliability. 4,000 mile trips are fun to drive.

Good luck with your 997.1 search.

Quick Reply: 2009 911 Turbo Reliability