New OptiCoat 2.0 for paint..

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
LexVan, do you have a Midwest referral?
PM sent. Call him ASAP. He's usually booked 2 months out this time of the year because owner enthusiasts are preparing for winter hibernation as the driving season comes to an end by late October.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

I paid $600 for the entire process. In regards to the cost, its all relative, I can try to do it myself and probably get crappy results or let a professional do it well and last a long time. No wax required for many years, so if you factor the time and money savings you are actually saving money in the long run. I don't have a garage, so I don't mind trying to get the best paint protection I can.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Then you've never had your car professionally detailed and paint corrected. It's all in the prep. Before the final step is applied, like OptiCoat. The OptiCoat adds maybe $100 to the tab for the material.
Nope I have not done that yet. I just wax mine with carnuba.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

PM sent. Call him ASAP. He's usually booked 2 months out this time of the year because owner enthusiasts are preparing for winter hibernation as the driving season comes to an end by late October.
Thanks PM received. As soon as I get 5 free min during "Normal people" hours I will get 2 "try out" pcars to him...I will report back.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:02 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
I paid $600 for the entire process. In regards to the cost, its all relative, I can try to do it myself and probably get crappy results or let a professional do it well and last a long time. No wax required for many years, so if you factor the time and money savings you are actually saving money in the long run. I don't have a garage, so I don't mind trying to get the best paint protection I can.
i got a quote yesterday for $850 and one for $650. to be honest it is a little insane. I wonder what happens if i put a paint meter. Will the paint show up thinner from all the polishing or will the opti coat make it show up thicker.

I saw a 911 get traded in and you should see how fast they come out the gates with that paint meter. They do that before the DME report is ran. If it wasn't for the resell value of the damn car i would have the front cap repainted yesterday

WHY GOD AM I SO OCD about my cars
Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
i got a quote yesterday for $850 and one for $650. to be honest it is a little insane. I wonder what happens if i put a paint meter. Will the paint show up thinner from all the polishing or will the opti coat make it show up thicker. )
My detailer told me that my car could be polished and OptiCoat about 25-30 times. I plan to do it every other year.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:38 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
i got a quote yesterday for $850 and one for $650. to be honest it is a little insane. I wonder what happens if i put a paint meter. Will the paint show up thinner from all the polishing or will the opti coat make it show up thicker.

I saw a 911 get traded in and you should see how fast they come out the gates with that paint meter. They do that before the DME report is ran. If it wasn't for the resell value of the damn car i would have the front cap repainted yesterday

WHY GOD AM I SO OCD about my cars
Opti-coat is around 2 microns. This isn't going to make a dealer suspect paint work. Our cars range from low of maybe 100 microns to some areas having 150-160 microns.

Because you can never tell exactly what a panel will read the dealers are looking for obvious deviations on one or more panels. If the whole left side and most of the right side of your car averages in the 120-140 range and suddenly one fender measures at 200+ that is pretty obvious that there has been paint work. Non-OEM paint work will always be thicker.

Full correction jobs will remove 5-10 microns max. Again because it will remove it everywhere it won't throw up the red flags the dealer is looking for.

Quick Reply: New OptiCoat 2.0 for paint..