Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at your car Jay it looks like it is a tts with those centre locks? I do know that model .2 car will run very sweet with an EP plus that system really looks like it actually belongs on the car. And with no obvious visual or audible compromises makes it hard for Porsche to argue as well. Oops did I just say that word EP
Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

I think Boeing717 had his CPO warranty coverage denied due to an aftermarket exhaust. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Regarding direct injection, Audis with this type of engine are notorious for carbon build up. Their 4.2L FSI V8 needs to be cleaned up every 10K miles!

So I'm glad that Porsche's engines are better in that regard but sounds like they still need major work every once I a while.

And the 993 SAI problem is a total PITA. Yes, in recent years there have been work arounds that cost in the neighborhood of $700-1000 to clean the ports but before that everybody was suggesting a rebuild. Crazy!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If pcna is looking for a reason to void a large warranty claim, they could care less what aftermarket exhaust you have, as long as its non oem, that's all they need to know.
Just go in well imformed, could always swap the stock back on when you need warranty work.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Pcar dealers sell CPO pcars with AM exhaust...BUT...if you change the exhaust on your own they would deny your CPO? I don't understand this.
Perhaps a solution can be to work with the SA at your local dealer to make the change and bless the exhaust?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Pcar dealers sell CPO pcars with AM exhaust...
The new car warranty is from PCNA. Is the CPO warranty also from PCNA or from the dealership that does the certification (like it is if you buy a CPO'd Audi)?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Pcar dealers sell CPO pcars with AM exhaust...BUT...if you change the exhaust on your own they would deny your CPO? I don't understand this. Perhaps a solution can be to work with the SA at your local dealer to make the change and bless the exhaust?
That's exactly what happened to me, as Ilko said, the car was CPO'd WITH a tune AND exhaust and then sold by the dealer. When I had a problem, they wouldn't cover any warranty work because it had a tune and exhaust. That was the sleazy dealer Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jay,

Like others said some Dealers will honor your warranty with an AM exhaust as long as you buy the exhaust from them..

Champion is known for this as well as many other dealers. The local dealer where i live is totally zero mod friendly.. While downtown the dealer is much more open to mods.

Talk to your dealer and see what kind of response you get..
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717

That's exactly what happened to me, as Ilko said, the car was CPO'd WITH a tune AND exhaust and then sold by the dealer. When I had a problem, they wouldn't cover any warranty work because it had a tune and exhaust. That was the sleazy dealer Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta.
I remember...the key word is SLEAZY!!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Dealers are the worst.. Actually the entire car business is sleazy..Luckily because I knew my service manager really well I had a lot of warranty work done with the AM exhaust. None of it engine related though..

They told me straight up that if I had a tune Porsche would not give me a dime for any engine issues..So I waited until after the warranty was up..

Maybe the best thing to do is just keep the unfortunate stock exhaust until your warranty expires..

And while you are under warranty bring the car in constantly for anything you can think of.. Replace as much stuff as you can.. That's what I did and the dealer didn't care.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by speed21
Looking at your car Jay it looks like it is a tts with those centre locks? I do know that model .2 car will run very sweet with an EP plus that system really looks like it actually belongs on the car. And with no obvious visual or audible compromises makes it hard for Porsche to argue as well. Oops did I just say that word EP
LMAO!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP why not just get the exhaust you want and keep your stock exhaust "just in case" you need warranty work. I know it's a PITA but the swap back to stock is relatively straight forward for any indy shop to do and that way you can rest assured that you won't be denied warranty work.

just my 2 cent
Art
Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If pcna is looking for a reason to void a large warranty claim, they could care less what aftermarket exhaust you have, as long as its non oem, that's all they need to know.
Just go in well imformed, could always swap the stock back on when you need warranty work.
I think the magic word here is "tune". Have one of those in, have an engine or driveline issue and you are done for….no question about that.

Exhaust is a different story altogether and whilst as a general rule the schedule says they don't warrant the car with anything aftermarket fitted I still maintain that with the right system (such as say a Europipe that unquestionably looks like it actually belongs on the car) the dealer would be hard pressed closing you out.

All of my driveline warranty issues (diffs) were covered with the EP on, in fact the workshop manager and all of the staff were extremely impressed with the system unlike the previous one they saw me with. If the dealer is comfortable with what is on your car then they are more likely to work with you in getting a claim over the line. There is no question that once the car has a tune in all bets are off especially if something like a camshaft goes bad or a diff etc. Mind you, you could hardly blame them.

Any dealer which says they will warrant a car with a tune in I would be extremely wary of. Needless to add the devil is always in the detail of the warranty schedule being offered at time of sale and you need to read that to see what they say is in there. If it isn in writing it doest exist.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by speed21
I think the magic word here is "tune". Have one of those in, have an engine or driveline issue and you are done for….no question about that.

Exhaust is a different story altogether and whilst as a general rule the schedule says they don't warrant the car with anything aftermarket fitted I still maintain that with the right system (such as say a Europipe that unquestionably looks like it actually belongs on the car) the dealer would be hard pressed closing you out.

All of my driveline warranty issues (diffs) were covered with the EP on, in fact the workshop manager and all of the staff were extremely impressed with the system unlike the previous one they saw me with. If the dealer is comfortable with what is on your car then they are more likely to work with you in getting a claim over the line. There is no question that once the car has a tune in all bets are off especially if something like a camshaft goes bad or a diff etc. Mind you, you could hardly blame them.

Any dealer which says they will warrant a car with a tune in I would be extremely wary of. Needless to add the devil is always in the detail of the warranty schedule being offered at time of sale and you need to read that to see what they say is in there. If it isn in writing it doest exist.
+1
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ that was once true, but over the last year porsche is playing hardball, especially with the dfi engines. What their policy was in 2007 is meaningless in 2014, at least in the US market, regardless of which aftermarket part you've installed or how pretty it may be.
Good luck with whatever you decide, just go in with both eyes open.
Chances are, nothing will happen. But, keep the stock exhaust handy....

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 04-06-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Yeah VW means business! It's actually quite sad they own Porsche.. They make really bad cars and unfortunately that business mentality is going to spill over into Porsche.

I don't recall the 2007 or 2010 GT3's catching fire when they were new...

Juts my opinion anyway..

Quick Reply: AM exhaust voids warranty on 997.2?