Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally extended cruise in my 07 997.1!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 AM
AllanB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally extended cruise in my 07 997.1!

Well Spring has come out here where I live and finally got my car provincially inspected and plated up. Had some extended driving tonight and bit of driving today to and from car shop/indy .

Before this only had chance to drive 5 minutes around the block type of thing.

So few more comments and observations and questions..

I don't like my tires. They seem very noisy . Heard these cars do get a lot of tire nosie and well was expecting some. They are after all pretty wide things. So going to look bit and maybe try a different set . Actually believe it or not was pretty darn impressed with hankook on my SL55. They seem quiet with a good ride and are cheap. I am not into tracking my 911 turbo at least not at this time so more interested in comfortable over pure handling type of stuff. I did of course try it in crusing mode. I guess the 997.1 are still pretty stiff in touring mode and the 997.s 2 and 991 are better ,newer tech and all that.

I don't like my factory exhaust .It really does seem wimpy but need some more seat time with rolled down windows,putting some rpm on it and getting up on the boost guage then maybe will like the factory exhaust a bit more . Or maybe won't and may still get a Europipe probably. Just wish they were like 3k instead of 5 k that is just crazy !

Oh headers look super easy to change out?Is a header change worthwhile?

Tuning would likely be last thing would do to car but maybe live with it for awhile and see how it goes. I am jaded having 800 plus hp car in the stable and 427cubic inch or 7. litre twin turboed car. So massive torque off the line and thru the entire rpm range.

The 911 turbo does feel stronger than my 2.0 and 2.4 litre turbo all wheel drive talons and was running a 650 hp turbo on one of those and 500 hp turbo on the other one. A 6 is going to give you more torque at lower rpm generally than small 4 banger.

The car is impressive and again need more seat time but is not really scaring me but am used to wicked fast.

Brakes are great even the non ceramic ones and since not tracking car sure more than fine for street use.

Handling is legendary Porsche of course.

Headlights are very powerful. Seats have the adaptive seats are very supportive and maybe only bit harder to get into out of. Not a big deal you want big deal try a Viper!

Car attracted a fair bit of attention today at son's school and also when out and about . These cars do still get noticed and seemed to be both women and men . Maybe with women its the gold digger thing. They see Porsche and think dollar signs ,success and all that. But to be 30 again with this car would be freaking great! Guys of course seem to mostly look at it in awe. Porsche Turbo the magic words.. And some people of course act like total asshats near it. Going round and punching it ,etc just to try to get you to go. But too smart to street race . Am too old for that . 56 now. And penalties are insane nowadays, huge fines, impound, etc.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 AM
AllanB
Advanced

Oh tires are bridgestone have to look at model numbers . And going to check airpressure and maybe have better ride when warmer out as well. Not sure if warmer or pressure will have any effect on road noise. Maybe just need louder exhaust and play my stereo louder.

So one last quick question . Your europipe guys are you happy with your system?. I would be looking at europipe one since have tiptronic car. Is it too loud? Does it have much drone? Actually I think the factory system has some drone at certain rpms..
Old 03-12-2014, 03:43 AM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I found the stock exhaust my one area of real dissatisfaction with the turbo. Europipe is fantastic. The support, special tools, and quality are all great, but the real joy is the sound. Although sound is very subjective, no one that has been in the car finds it too loud, and there is absolutely no drone, although mine is a six speed. Others I have read about with tip say no drone either.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:57 AM
AllanB
Advanced

Can someone connect me with the guy or kit for fixing the back wing. ? Or is the guy still making the kit. I want to just leave it up not bother with making it work like factory.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Allan, I have done 4 trips to your beautiful part of paradise.

All tires get noisy in the last 20% of life, so be sure that is not the issue. Ran PS2 on my 993 and now 72K miles on Pilot Super Sport.

You should find EP1 sound just right. Biggest upside is instant throttle response, turbo lag dragon slayed!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanB

Car attracted a fair bit of attention today at son's school and also when out and about . These cars do still get noticed and seemed to be both women and men . Maybe with women its the gold digger thing. They see Porsche and think dollar signs ,success and all that. But to be 30 again with this car would be freaking great! Guys of course seem to mostly look at it in awe. Porsche Turbo the magic words.. And some people of course act like total asshats near it. Going round and punching it ,etc just to try to get you to go. But too smart to street race . Am too old for that . 56 now. And penalties are insane nowadays, huge fines, impound, etc.
Totally agree with you on this. In my case women are the ones that notice and have made comments lol. As for the ******** on the streets, yeah, everyone wants to race a porsche turbo and believe they won so they can go write about it on their kiddie forums

Anyway, enjoy her it's an awesome car like no other
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Hankook Tires

I wanted to try them for years having read so many positive comments.

My son has a 350z needed tires and figured what better way to find out about there performance and ride quality.

They are indeed very good handling however there not equal to a Michelin Pilot Sport or the Noisy Pirelli P Zero Rosso.

What about these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ndard%20Brakes

There about $300 more then the Hankook

Ian
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 PM
AllanB
Advanced

Ok bit more drive time. Not being annoyed as much with the tires ride /road noise ,maybe also do to warmer temperatures affecting making the tires not as hard and also tend to crank the tunes when driving around.

I am pretty annoyed their is not even a aux input jack on this very pricey new car!
My 2006 ML350 at least has an input jack but to be fair my very pricey new 2007 SL55 has no input jack either!

Bought some fm transmitter thing from Monster today company that makes high end cables but giving me error message that my 5S don't support this accessory! So try other makes of transmitter or guess buy some more elegant but pricey solution. Not changing out factory head unit. So guess surf forums for what can do to use my iphone for tunes but feel free to give suggestions.

Also have some squeaking brakes. Not sure if the did this before provincial inspection.
And think only when hitting them lightly. Any suggestions on how to quiet them up can I just spray something on the rotors and not have to take them apart maybe?

Am now very impressed with the power of the car, with the handling and braking power,and the ride is not bad , do have pretty good roads here and while guess its better on the 997 .2 and 991 its pretty liveable . May still try out some other tires but don't think will try them out just yet as current tires have a lot of life left on them. I still think would like to do exhaust and may want to do a tune but probably not this year. I also would maybe like to put in the deluxe steering wheel although its not really high on my to do list.

Also the sunroof is kind of funny since it doesn't have any glass in it but is a metal roof ?
And wondering the inspection guy said my car was missing very back underneath plastic cover thing but heard somewhere that the auto cars maybe didn't have this piece just the manual cars do???

Anyway would now say am very very happy with my new car ,first Porsche I ever had and while might move up to newer models of this car down the road I can't see ever being without one of these great automobiles in my stable.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Yogi911
Racer

For iphone you can add either a Tooki or Denison unit. Allows blutooth and an iphone input. Seems like Denison is the more up to date unit for iphone 5 and the unit of choice around here but i have a Tooki because it came with the car and it is adequate. Not as nice as factory but not bad. Hope that helps, sorry i just got my car too so im not an expert but this is a great forum.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the dennison unit is terrible for BT, great for everything else.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Allan,

Great to have you on the board.. Yes you really must change the exhaust.. They are all expensive but that is just the Porsche tax we all pay. There are many many people here with the EP.. And I would say 99% love it..

As far as your tires. I have had many brands but so far the Pilot Super Sports are my favorite for an everyday tire. Great in wet and dry and relatively quiet. And they last! Even the rears!

Yeah we all suffer with the Ipod issue. Germans don't like music I guess.. I still just use the CD player (in the trunk)

Personally I think that the 997.1 TT with and exhaust and a tune is what that car should have left the factory with. Do the exhaust first and then you can do the tune.. I would highly recommend it.. Especially if you are used to very high HP cars.

The tune and exhaust will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it..

Good luck with your new toy!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 PM
AllanB
Advanced

More driving and still hating those Bridgestone tires. Think the stone part is pretty accurate. They are maybe bit better riding when its warmer out but the tire noise is horrible /horrible.
So think tires are number one now for mods.

I also don't like the stock exhaust have listened to it more with windows down ,revving it up higher. Can barely hear the turbos spool and its just so neutered the exhaust sounds.

The exhaust will probably be next year country and not sure if the tune will be too. The power is pretty good and am jaded and used to huge power since have a twin turbo trans am that pushes 800 plus engine hp. But think can live with current power levels for awhile and would rather have quieter tires and nicer sounding exhaust before more power.
I did buy a different fm transmitter and its working not too bad . Have it in my SL55 right now and was pretty pleased so ordered another one for my 911 turbo. It will likely be good enough for me as not really into changing head units.

Rest of car pretty happy with not really any mods would do.. Did think might want to go with carbon fiber in it but that is a slippery slope and you can go overboard. My SL55 has carbon fiber nice quality from factory. My 911 turbo has aluminum trim not sure if that is option or standard but it looks pretty good.

I still want to find way to fix my broken back wing. Not into spending 2500 on it and it was already fixed once and broke again in hardly any miles. A solid setup and just leave it up sounds fine with me and just program out the code. Can a durametric permanently program out a code?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 AM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

From what I gather the exhaust is perhaps the #1 complaint about those cars. Stock is just too quiet. I have a Fabspeed Maxflo on mine and I'm pretty happy with it. Fitment could be better -I'm pretty ****- but everything else is great. Volume in my opinion is perfect and there is absolutely no drone whatsoever. Also going to the HJS 200cpi cats gives a little boost in power compared to the stock units (which are 600cpi I recall).

As for tires I'm running the original Bridgestones RE050 and they are LOUD. I don't like them either. I'm planning to replace them once I hit 10k miles (9700 currently). They still have plenty of life left but they are just old.

What do you guys recommend? I know the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are highly rated. I was also looking at the Pole Position S-04 to stick with Bridgestone which is original equipment. Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 AM
AllanB
Advanced

I know may not be Porsche recommended but don't race my car anyway and really like my Hankook
evo ventos something or others that put on my SL55 . They are cheap. Very quiet with nice ride quality and seem ok in wet and dry and not sure on treadwear yet but if they only last me couple years or so fine . The supersports do get good reviews as well and also considering those.

For now I usually crank up stereo and crank up my blower fan and that masks out the roadnoise /tire noise pretty good. Tonight was rolling down windows and nailing the car up in the first two gears to hear things at higher rpm and it sounded not too bad but still way too tame for me.

Tires will be first. Then likely exhaust before next season. Then probably tune sometime next season as well. Then sure will be very happy with the car. For tune leaning to softronic or FVD.
Also was thinking maybe cargraphic exhaust that can be adjusted from a switch so you could have quiet or loud which had on my 08 z06 and liked that a lot. Think they have that as option on the 997.2 or 991? Or do they? If not they should add in that option.

I am used to the sound of my catless 427 cubic inch /7 litre twin turbo trans am with very loud turbosmart blow off valves. That think sounds like a f 16 ! Love it and the blow offs can make old ladies jump off the sidewalk. The corsa exhaust sound is to die for as well.

Quick Reply: Finally extended cruise in my 07 997.1!