Sponsored by:

My new to me 2009 997.1TT

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

^let me get this straight...great dealer?

Sells a CPO 997TT with bad clutch but if you waste 2-3 days of your time, get all worried and your blood pressure up, then they will fix it...sells a car (CPO?) with dirty brake fluid but if you waste your time calling them they will cover it....sounds like someone in that group is not doing their job? Or they are hoping to get away with some stuff, or do sloppy work....

I sure would be pissed off if I wasted my time screwing around with a service guy after I had just bought a car from them....
Old 02-05-2014, 11:10 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just made a presumption my brake fluid was dirty (which was not)... I should've been clear and accurate. My apologies...

Brake fluid flush was never documented at the dealership, It is quite possible the previous owner had it done at an Indy shop but since they had no documentation and the brake fluid flush is recommended every 4 years I requested it be done.

As a devils advocate: a car gets CPO'ed and sits on the lot. It is possible to have a functional clutch and a potential buyer(s) comes along and test drives the car and not used to the clutch resulting in slippage. Also very possible the clutch is on its last leg but I think it would be difficult to determine that unless the clutch starts to slip.

I think the OP was fortunate enough it happened right away and not after accumulating thousands of miles or months into ownership. A used car whether CPO or not has possible inherent problems. Hence, a cpo car is more attractive to minimize the cost of repairs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the dealership cuz I'd be pissed like you if I had to pay for a new clutch but my experience with them has been pretty good so far (knock on wood, LOL).
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 PM
930TB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like my car is staying here in MA for the clutch repair. In order to expedite the process, the Paul Miller people agreed to pay to have it done at my local dealer, Porsche Danvers. Great to hear it doesn't have to be hauled on a flat bed to NJ and back. Guess the snow storm slowed everything down. Hoping to have the car back in my garage soon.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

That's good news, I knew they would do the right thing
Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

Any chance they will work with you on an upgraded clutch? You pay the difference in the cost?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM
930TB
Intermediate

I'm not sure if they would work with me on an upgraded clutch, but, I may be making a mistake here, I'd like to keep the car OEM as much as possible aside from bolt ons like wheels and exhaust. Hopefully, the new clutch lasts and, should I decide to sell it a few years from now, my guess is there will be more buyers who'd prefer the car to be OEM rather than aftermarket. That's by no means a dig at the incredible aftermarket for these cars. For some people, that's the way to go, but I don't believe I'd make use of the additional benefits of an upgraded clutch. The parts are ordered and should be here early next week.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

With an exhaust and tune you will significantly reduce the life of the clutch. Retaining OEM parts is fine if you leave it 100% OEM.

A clutch that is "like stock" wont detract buyers IMO
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
930TB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
With an exhaust and tune you will significantly reduce the life of the clutch. Retaining OEM parts is fine if you leave it 100% OEM.

A clutch that is "like stock" wont detract buyers IMO
Good point. You're right. Luckily, I don't believe the car is tuned. Awaiting a DME from my local dealer, though it seems doubtful the car could pass CPO. Then again, it did pass with a smoked clutch.

The clutch parts were ordered quickly, before I could research or discuss upgrade options. I guess there's another element to note, given the nature of the repair, I wouldn't want the Paul Miller people to feel I'm taking advantage of them or the situation I'm in. If it was a car that I was responsible for repairing, I'd feel differently and likely do an upgrade.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I've bee told the best clutch upgrade for a 997.1 TT is to use the clutch from a GT2. It'a suppose to be much stronger and you would be retaining OEM parts. Can anyone confirm this as a good choice?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
I've bee told the best clutch upgrade for a 997.1 TT is to use the clutch from a GT2. It'a suppose to be much stronger and you would be retaining OEM parts. Can anyone confirm this as a good choice?
Bryan the stock GT2 clutch is rated at 700nm which is about the limit on a stock GT2. There have been instances of stock GT2 slipping under certain conditions.

Not sure if you're referring to the GT2 slave conversion.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 AM
550bryan
Pro

Originally Posted by eurotom
Bryan the stock GT2 clutch is rated at 700nm which is about the limit on a stock GT2. There have been instances of stock GT2 slipping under certain conditions.

Not sure if you're referring to the GT2 slave conversion.
Not referring to the slave conversion, just told if replacing a disc/pp do so with GT2 pieces as they are stronger than the stock TT components. I was wondering if anyone else knew this to be true. It would allow for a clutch upgrade while retaining OEM parts.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't believe it's true. As stated GT2 guys with stock cars have experienced slippage.

I do not know of the changes if any between the two set ups however with a tune your exceeding gt2 hp and torque
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
Don't believe it's true. As stated GT2 guys with stock cars have experienced slippage.

I do not know of the changes if any between the two set ups however with a tune your exceeding gt2 hp and torque
Yes, I am one of them. Around 6k miles...I am told that the GT2 clutchis rated for higher torque than a TT, but I think that some of you guys make a lot more power than a stock GT2...When I replace mine I will go with a Sachs clutch (can't recall the p/n)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM
550bryan
Pro

One of the guys at Sharkwerks told me their upgrade of choice for the stock clutch in a TT is the GT2 clutch which they said is stronger. Don't know any other details, it was their recommendation and it satisfies 930TB's desire to stick with OEM parts....
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

My car is now at Paul Miller Porsche for service. Noticed red fluid under engine last night and got it towed this morning. Turns out leak was coming from oil cooler lines so she'll have to spend the weekend at the dealer (

Quick Reply: My new to me 2009 997.1TT