Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Brombacher – 997.1 TT & 997.2 TT / S - Valentines Software Special - $ 1,197

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by heartman4ever
I just finished the ECU download. I thought I'd share a few observations:

1) The My Genius flash unit I received gave off an error upon trying my initial setup saying "Your MyGenius is not configured. Please contact your reseller and communicate the MyGenius serial number for remote activation." I e-mailed to Rhonda explaining the problem and within a couple hours she was able to get an ABL file to me as an e-mail attachment to resolve the hangup and proceed with the setup steps.

2) The YouTube link for instructions is pretty clear, but there are some prompting differences between the MyGenius flash unit I have and the one that was shown on the screen. I just used my best judgement and things seemed to work fine.

3) Upon starting the ECU download from my car the front electric cooling fans came on full blast and stayed on until the download was completed and I switched off from the accessory position that needs to be turned on with the key. It might have been nice for the company to mention that the fans would be running to a noob like me. Also, warning messages on the display about PSM failure appeared during the download that I would have liked to have been assured were normal and nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm just jittery about messing with the ECU, but everything seems fine now. Presumably this stuff is just par for the course.

4) The resulting download ECU file for me was about 550 kb. Nothing very big. I sent that off to FVD and expect the modified file will show up sometime tomorrow if they hold true to their 24 hour turnaround time.
Thanks, This update is great, can't wait for the next one.....
Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by heartman4ever
I just finished the ECU download. I thought I'd share a few observations:

1) The My Genius flash unit I received gave off an error upon trying my initial setup saying "Your MyGenius is not configured. Please contact your reseller and communicate the MyGenius serial number for remote activation." I e-mailed to Rhonda explaining the problem and within a couple hours she was able to get an ABL file to me as an e-mail attachment to resolve the hangup and proceed with the setup steps.

2) The YouTube link for instructions is pretty clear, but there are some prompting differences between the MyGenius flash unit I have and the one that was shown on the screen. I just used my best judgement and things seemed to work fine.

3) Upon starting the ECU download from my car the front electric cooling fans came on full blast and stayed on until the download was completed and I switched off from the accessory position that needs to be turned on with the key. It might have been nice for the company to mention that the fans would be running to a noob like me. Also, warning messages on the display about PSM failure appeared during the download that I would have liked to have been assured were normal and nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm just jittery about messing with the ECU, but everything seems fine now. Presumably this stuff is just par for the course.

4) The resulting download ECU file for me was about 550 kb. Nothing very big. I sent that off to FVD and expect the modified file will show up sometime tomorrow if they hold true to their 24 hour turnaround time.

I had the same experience as you for items 1-3. For #4, my file was 508kb.

Note that you will have the fans come on during the writing as well..

I installed it today and noticed the following observations:

I did several pulls in 4th gear at 60mph...measurements were made using the digital gauge on the cluster (which I know is just a computer generated pseudo-value and not the actual boost)

Car is completely stock on 93 octane.

Prior to tune:

Normal mode - would hit 12 or 13 and slowly back off
Sport mode - would hit 17 and very quickly start backing off.

After tune:

Normal mode - would quickly hit 15 and stay there until I backed off
Sport mode - would quickly hit 17 and stay there until I backed off.
Boost comes on much quicker and at a lower RPM than prior to tune.

I've heard the gauge won't show more than 17 so I plan to hook up my durametric and collect a few logs of data to see what the true boost pressure is.

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heartman,

You and I must've been banging through this at the very same time. The flash unit error was simply an issue of the registration server being down today, if I understand correctly. So I did the same ABL upload. I also experienced, word for word, the rest of your observations - and due to my own noobness, I was firing off emails to Rhonda as I went through the process this afternoon, of which she was quick to respond (relieved my concerns before the Read process was even complete). I was just as jittery - while I'm fairly confident in my wrench-turning prowess, mucking around with the brains of my new toy was a bit nerve-wracking. That said, between Rhonda's responsiveness, and the reams of positive experiences revealed here and on other forums, I was confident things were "normal". And obviously, once I cranked the car post-download and saw everything was functioing...the nerves subsided.

Now of course, when I do the upload tomorrow...the nerves will be back.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
UT_farhan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin

Prior to tune:

Normal mode - would hit 12 or 13 and slowly back off
Sport mode - would hit 17 and very quickly start backing off.

After tune:

Normal mode - would quickly hit 15 and stay there until I backed off
Sport mode - would quickly hit 17 and stay there until I backed off.
Boost comes on much quicker and at a lower RPM than prior to tune.
Exact same experience. Turbo lag is noticeably gone and it spools up much faster. The boost also seems to stay pegged rather than drop off. Looking forward to your durametric logs to see the true boost that you're getting.

Rhonda was great at answer questions and emails as well!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Same experience here with Rhonda and FVD. I got my file back like in 30 minutes 508Kb. Ran the car today and noticed the turbos kicked in quicker. Next will be the FVD exhaust, think they will be having a sale also. Stay tuned, no pun intended.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

So I took the plunge as well! I finally got to upload the file this morning (Sent on Sunday at noon, received Monday at 5:30 am).
Very happy with the results!! I have experienced the same as Saabin in regards to less turbo lag and additional boost. In WOT the boost stays steadily at 1.2 bars all the way until backed off (Sport mode).
The only thing I would recommend to FVD is updating their install video and the instructions provided in the USD memory stick, and to make sure they all look the same. Because of that I ran into a little hiccup while uploading as I chose "Full Write" when I should have chose "Partial write". In FVD's Defense, Rhonda did mentioned that info in her email purchase confirmation, but its not in the package, from where I got my instructions from. Needless to say, one phone call to Rhonda and within 5 minutes I had a return call directly from Deutscheland to help me get back on track, which I did flawlessly. Extremely satisfied with their service and product! Highly recommend.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Nice info

Last edited by atcbi5; 02-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 PM
heartman4ever
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, basically word for word what mpiffaretti wrote above in my own experience including the call from The Fatherland. In the end, everything worked out OK and the car feels more "boosty" than before. I'm relieved that I didn't scramble the brain of my car, but the process is pretty idiot-proof (confesses the idiot who initially selected "Total Rewrite" on the MyGenius).

Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I just finished installing my tune last night. 839 kb. Interesting the different reported file sizes. Mine is MY2011 997.2TTS.

Thanks to the forum, and to this thread, as i was mentally prepared for my fans to roar into the ON position for the duration of the download.

No idea yet how this will end, as my car is on the lift, bumper and heat shield removed, awaiting the arrival of my (new to me) europipe exhaust.

Before I bought my 914 in 2009, I knew next to nothing about cars. I love to drive these Pcars, and I have since been learning so much, mostly from these forums. I can take apart the interior of my 997 and put it back together again. Now I'm doing my own exhaust installation. It's not just very gratifying work, but I'm learning so much as I go. It's pretty easy if you have the right tools at your disposal.

This is fun stuff! Couldn't do it outside of the internet age...
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Great price excellent product!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Likewise here, I am getting a MaxJax two post lift in about two weeks. Will be dropping the engine to repair several plastic elbows affixed to the bracket that holds the two heat exchangers. Three plastic parts worth $8.19! Sharwerks has these in aluminum for $490.00. When I am there, i will look at the coolant issue these cars have. Then the fun stuff, cleaning the underside of my car! I have an Air conditioned garage with a TV mounted all I need is my Nespresso coffee maker and I am good to go! ****, might even sleep next to my TT.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Likewise here, I am getting a MaxJax two post lift in about two weeks. Will be dropping the engine to repair several plastic elbows affixed to the bracket that holds the two heat exchangers. Three plastic parts worth $8.19! Sharwerks has these in aluminum for $490.00. When I am there, i will look at the coolant issue these cars have. Then the fun stuff, cleaning the underside of my car! I have an Air conditioned garage with a TV mounted all I need is my Nespresso coffee maker and I am good to go! ****, might even sleep next to my TT.
My garage is so flippin clean that I agonize over getting anything dirty, even as I am deconstructing the rear end of my car. I need to get over that.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 AM
atcbi5
Banned

OKC was my second home in the late 80's. I took training at the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. Was actualy there when the F5 tornado hit. I was taking a design and enginnering course for the Doppler weather radar. Always loved to go! Hit the local clubs out there durring my training.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

OKC was my second home in the late 80's. I took training at the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. Was actualy there when the F5 tornado hit. I was taking a design and enginnering course for the Doppler weather radar. Always loved to go! Hit the local clubs out there durring my training.
my guess is our paths crossed a lot!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

It's interesting to learn about who posts on this board and the common interests we share e.g. P-cars. Are you FAA Tech Ops? Does ATCBI5 stand for Air Traffic Control Beacon Interrogator 5? I'm FAA ATC from SoCal Tracon, FAAHQ, Command Center and now back at HQ. It's a small world!.

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher – 997.1 TT & 997.2 TT / S - Valentines Software Special - $ 1,197