Sponsored by:

From an 06 Cayman S to...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From an 06 Cayman S to...

This 07 911 Turbo...Manual with 43K miles.

Car already had a few mods done (Agency Exhaust and intake, ECU). The amount of pull when the turbos come alive is insane.

Anyway, will post more pictures this weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Shes a beauty. Enjoy it. How does it compare to cayman?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Great looking car. You will enjoy it. I would also love to hear your opinion on TT and the Cayman
Old 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and Congratulations on purchase Looking forward to seeing a few more pictures and reading your review.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Thanks everyone

I have only been able to put about 10 miles on the Turbo so far, but I do have a few comments regarding differences...

- Ride Quality
The Cayman S had 19" Carrera and no PASM. The difference in ride quality is night and day in favor of the Turbo, when not in sport mode. The Cayman wasn't my daily driver (neither is the turbo) but there were days that I'd choose not to drive it based on if I knew that there were type of street conditions were going to be rough. I don't think I'll feel the same way about the turbo.

-Power
Night and day. I had an aftermarket exhaust (Fabspeed) on my Cayman, and although the power was exciting when I stepped on the throttle...NOTHING can compare to spooling up the turbos on the new car. I drove to my dad's house last night and took him around the block, and...his benchmark was a 98 Cobra that I had modified (naturally aspirated) 10 years ago to do 1/4 mile in 12.8...and he said that the Turbo car felt much, much faster. I love fast cars, have gone through quite a few over the years, but I have to say it's going to take me a few weeks to get used to this car. 1st gear goes by really quick when on the throttle.

-Interior
I was a little surprised at how similar the interiors are on both of these cars in some ways. One annoyance of mine on the Cayman was that the air conditioner fan button had faded...when I sat in the turbo, I noticed the same problem on the same button design on it too. The seats are much more comfortable in the Turbo and feel much more significant/substantial. I remember pushing the seat all the way back in the Cayman and hearing a squeek noise from the leather rubbing against the back/engine compartment area. The Turbo's interior is nicer, but I didn't see the drastic difference I was expecting.

-Overall
So far, I'm completely satisfied with going to the Turbo. I can't believe there's only a $30k price difference between these 2 cars. The Cayman was fun to whip around corners and nice to drive in but I grew tired of it after a year. I don't foresee that happening with the Turbo.

Last edited by 00Jay; 01-24-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new TT! I'm glad to hear that you like it so much. It's also great that it already has the mods you mentioned..They make a HUGE difference!

If you are used to driving your Cayman fast on twisties be wary of the TT. It is no Cayman and is less forgiving. Just wanted to mention that...

You mentioned that one of the mods was an "intake". Do you mean the air filter?

If the previous owner put one of those BMC / K & N oiled air filters on your car take it off and replace it with an OEM paper filter. Those are crap, do nothing for performance and let more dirt in your engine. This is not my opinion it's fact. Many of us have all been suckered into that so called "mod".....

Would love to see more pictures of your baby! It's sweet! Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by phillipj
Congrats on the new TT! I'm glad to hear that you like it so much. It's also great that it already has the mods you mentioned..They make a HUGE difference!

If you are used to driving your Cayman fast on twisties be wary of the TT. It is no Cayman and is less forgiving. Just wanted to mention that...
Good to know ...I never tracked my Cayman but, I did send it through some intense corners. The acceleration on the Turbo is so drastic from 4K RPM and up, I wouldn't want to push it in a corner much until I get some more time under my belt.

You mentioned that one of the mods was an "intake". Do you mean the air filter?

If the previous owner put one of those BMC / K & N oiled air filters on your car take it off and replace it with an OEM paper filter. Those are crap, do nothing for performance and let more dirt in your engine. This is not my opinion it's fact. Many of us have all been suckered into that so called "mod".....

Would love to see more pictures of your baby! It's sweet! Enjoy!
I believe it's the Agency Power Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake (see here: http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...bup361q91m1e75). According to your comments, I need to do some more research and make sure I'm comfortable with that mod.

I'll definitely get more pictures up sometime this weekend after a good wash.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Beautiful car - congrats! Having been thru 4 prior 911's and a Boxster S during a period of austerity, and now my 09TT, I think you have a long term awesome keeper there!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Jay
Good to know ...I never tracked my Cayman but, I did send it through some intense corners. The acceleration on the Turbo is so drastic from 4K RPM and up, I wouldn't want to push it in a corner much until I get some more time under my belt.

I believe it's the Agency Power Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake (see here: http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...bup361q91m1e75). According to your comments, I need to do some more research and make sure I'm comfortable with that mod.

I'll definitely get more pictures up sometime this weekend after a good wash.
OOJAY,

Oh dear not Agency.. I bought that for my car many years ago. The fitment and quality was so bad I sent it back..It was a joke..And they told me nothing was wrong with it and charged me a 20% re stocking fee..

It might be a good idea to go back to the stock box. All you would need to buy would be the OEM filter and lid.. Those cone filters are very inefficient and lot lot of dirt in your engine. Also the box is does not seal well and lets hot air into the throttle body intake,, Which of course is a bad thing..

That intake has no performance advantage at all..

Just wanted to let you know..

Just so you know stay away from anything made be Agency or Vivid.. It's crap and they are crooks..
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

00Jay, Welcome to the TT, and congratulations. As you can see you have many friends already, with deep knowledge to make the journey of ownership a little less bumpy....
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 582 Posts

Congrats. Nothing like the pull of the TTs when they kick in to put a grin on your face. Enjoy and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the TT!!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:34 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice TT. Enjoy.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM